Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Gene Roddenberry's "Andromeda"

Author Topic: Gene Roddenberry's "Andromeda"
Waylynn
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may have been discussed and I missed it (I have not visited the forums in awhile) but I thought I mention this, not seeing it anywhere.

I found this artcile in today' (July 16) Province newspaper (out of Vancover BC, Canada)...

This 'new' show is shoot in Vancover and will be premiering this fall. The show has a 2 year, 44 episode commitment from its distributor.

Robert Hewitt Wolfe (from DS9) is co-producing and writing the new series.

The show stars Kevin Sorbo as Capt. Dylan Hunt, who has been in suspended animation for 300 years.

Andromeda takes place 3 centries after the destruction of the Commonwealth, a benevolent sytem that governed three galaxies until a civil war reduced it to splinters. The 'starship' Andromeda and crew survive as the last remenant of the advanced Commonwealth. civilization, sworn to defeat the forces of darkness that can be relied to cause big trouble in deep sapce.

This was one of Roddenberry's ideas that never, until now, never went beyond an outline due to his work on Star Trek. Roddenberry thought this as a Wagon Train to the stars, where the characters face challenges on their terrestial frontier.

My opinion, it 'sounds' interesting, but I'd have to see it to make final judgement.

------------------
Respectfully,

Michael Sander

[This message has been edited by Waylynn (edited July 16, 2000).]

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, "wagon train to the stars"... Doesn't the encyclopedia say that's what GR called Trek?

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, exactly. Which leads me to think maybe they accidentally cut out the latter half of a comparison or something. *shrug*

My instincts tell me that they will follow the "Earth: Final Conflict" or "Sliders" formula of series decline.

Step 1: Interesting, if low budget, first season with promising stories.
Step 2: Set-up stories for an arc are dismissed as "uninteresting" by the powers that be even though the small fan community loves the show.
Step 3: Good writers and producers are kicked out, new ones with more formulaic writing and action cliches replace them.
Step 4: Old audience rejects new episodes, general audience ignores show.
Step 5: Powers that be blame the writers are push it to a bad time slot or a weird unreachable cable channel.
Step 6: Audience declines, powers that be complain and wonder why, ad infinitum.

On another notes, one of the actors was on a cute teen drama several years back called "Ready or Not", if anyone remembers.

------------------
Stealing from one author is called plagarism.
Stealing from many is called research.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's a pity that most promising shows go that way.
At least Star Gate has lasted a while with a good running.

------------------
Cute, cuddly, widdle teddy bears usually will eat you alive unless you can prove you're a god.

Ex-Admin at the TrekBBS.com

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The show stars Kevin Sorbo as Capt. Dylan Hunt, who has been in suspended animation for 300 years"

'Dylan Hunt' was the name of the character from Genisis II (1973, played by Alex Cord) and Planet Earth (1974, played by John Saxon.)

Is this maybe Roddenberry's continuation of the PAX storyline? Mister Hunt would seem to have a real talent for sleeping through the years, if this is the case.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Roddenberry just liked the name. I remember he used the name Tiberious for other characters besides Kirk although I can't for the life of me remember where.

------------------
Stealing from one author is called plagarism.
Stealing from many is called research.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mucus: In your sig, you're missing an 'i' in "plagiarism".

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I'd say that Sliders was ever interesting, aside from the necessary role it played in feeding my Kari Wuhrer crush.

I would tenetively call Earth: Final Conflict a success, despite some rather embarassing blunders. Based on that, I have at least some hope that Andromeda will be good.

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

Mucus
Member # 24

TSN: You're 100% right. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPITY Beep Beep
Oh well, its time to rotate anyways.

------------------
1957: The space age begins when the first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, is placed in orbit by the Soviet Union on October 4. Our German rocket scientists get very
annoyed with their German rocket scientists. � Outpost

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am looking forward to this show, more then I have anything since TNG. Two of the writers have posted at the Slipstreambbs. If they want this show to make it, it will need to open with a bang and keep going. They will have trek fans and Hercules fans on the first night, but after that, it will have to be good.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps