Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » A Cross-Series Comparison Chart (Page 11)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A Cross-Series Comparison Chart
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The quality isn't great, and it's upside down, but what about this?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want him to include the Tripod logo?
Not exactly a ship.... [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The DVDs don't use the "remastered" footage, with the evil, evil Long Red Dwarf in them, do they?

Nope; they're 100% Original Dwarf.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
I have got the DVDs, and I am glad that they used the original model shots instead of the rubbishy CGI from the so-called "special edition".

Unfortunately I have no way to capture images from DVDs (no PC with DVD drive, sorry!) [Frown]

They did!!!!! Good - I hated the CGI'd version of RD.

Do they bring back that dark music from the first two seasons!?!

I loved that music - I can't find an mp3 of it anywhere.

Andrew

This is the mining ship Red Dwarf...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit I have never seen an episode of the remastered edition. Just parts of the opening credits. I have some old videos of season two, taped in the UK in the early nineties and the music on them is the same as on the DVDs of season one and two.

So I guess, yes, the soundtrack is the original too.

On the DVDs there's also a special feature called audio cues, where you can listen to all the music separately. Perhaps one can make an mp3 from those somehow.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the actual in-episode music was changed.

The original version had two theme tunes. A dark, brooding, Also Sprach Zarathusa for series 1 and 2, and a sexed up rock version for the others. The remastered ones mixed them together. It was interesting, to be fair. And the pull back from Lister to the entire ship was far superior.

Still, the new RD was a bit meh. Where was all that rock along the bottom of the ship? How comes the brand new model looked less massive than the original? And how comes, when Dr Who was filled with really, really shit effects, Red Dwarf was able to do really nice ship shots? Eh?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

RAMA4
Member # 1229

- posted      Profile for RAMA4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:

And so I'm looking for help from the best group of sci-fi enthusiasts with a penchant for things technological and pertaining to starships that I know. [Smile] Credit will be given on the page that links to the image once it goes online.

I have my BDO lists, which I have now seperated into 2 mile long ships and those between 1-2 miles. I looked at yoru lists and some of the lengths to not add up to some of the info I have found. For example, the super star destroyer is waaaay too big. But regardless, since there are always doubts, I'm willing to entertain almsot any specualtion. Here I include only the 2 mile PLUS list, though I haven't fixed it in awhile. There may be a few inconsistencies.

SIZE AND MATTER DOES MATTER!!

The largest intelligence made objects ever seen in the history of live action visual fiction. Only contiguous objects 1 mile and larger make the cut.

Some notes. This list is by no means comprehensive and I would welcome anything I have missed. Many of the ship sizes are guesses of course, since most SF shows do not have manuals or info like we have become used to with ST, B5 and SW. I'm probably missing some artificial worlds, bases, or the like from Blake's 7, Dr Who, Space 1999, Farscape or something. If you have official info to correct me let me know.

1. V'Ger-STTMP: Plain and simple. By far the largest megastructure ever seen in history..all 82 astronomical units of it.

2. Dyson Sphere-STNG: 200 million kilometers diameter sphere of carbon-neutronium massiveness. The surface area of millions of planets.

3. The Planet of Sentient Machines-STTMP: Estimate: Size of Earth or MUCH larger. 8,000 miles plus in diameter.

4. Orbital Tether-Voyager. 22,300 miles high.

5. Kalandan Artificial Planet Outpost-TOS. 2,000 miles+.

6. Krell Complex-Forbidden Planet-Hundreds of 20 mile square structures

7. Borg Uni-Complex-Voyager. Several hundred miles plus?

8. Alien Mothership-Independence Day. 200 miles

9. The Starlost Ark- The Starlost- 200 miles long. 50 mile domes

10. Artificial planetiod Yonada-TOS. 150+ miles in diameter.

11. The Monean Ship Habitat-Voyager. Artificial Waterworld-Voyager. Possibly 100 miles in diameter.

12. The Death Star-SW: Size of a small moon. 84 levels of 1.428 meters each with 357 sublevels of four meters each. Officially 120km, or 74.5 miles.

13. Thirdspace alien ship-B5:Thirdspace. 50-100 miles??

14. Darian Space Ark-Space 1999. 50 miles.

15. Drakh Mothership-B5- 32 Miles

16. Varro Ark Ship-Voyager- 25 Miles

17. Dominion Construction Yard Base Complex-DS9- 25 miles across?

18. Alien City Destroyers-Independence Day- 25 miles.

19. Vorlon Planet Killer-B5. 12.5 miles

20. Delphic Expanse Artificial "moon"-ENTERPRISE-10.6 miles

21. "The Shadow Planetkiller is not really a ship per se, its works more as pure weapon. It is composed of a cloud of particles (presumably nano-technology) and huge missiles. When attacking a planet, the cloud surrounds it, devouring the atmosphere and everything in it, while thousands and thousands of missiles are lauched towards the surface." Planetkiller 10 miles?

21. Timelord ship from "Trial of a Timelord-Dr Who. 10 miles

22. Son'a Science ship/collector-ST:Insurrection. 10 miles

23. Ice City ship Delos-Dr Who. 10 miles

24. Borg Cube and Tactical Cube-STNG, Voyager.6-8 miles

25. Lexx-Lexx:The Dark Zone. 10km Long (6.2miles)

26. Doomsday Machine Planet Killer-TOS. 5-10 miles

27. Alien Solar Sailer-New Outer Limits. 5-10+ miles high.

28. Stargate-B5- .62 to 6.2 mile sections

29. Wormhole Transit System Element-Contact. 5+ miles

30. Akritirian Prison Facility-Voyager. 5+ miles.

31. Caretaker's Array-Voyager 5+ miles

32. Borg Diamond Ship-Voyager. 5+ miles

33. Borg Transwarp Ship-STNG. 5 miles

34. Executor Dreadnought-Empire Strikes Back. 5 miles.

35. Voth Cityship-Voyager- 5 miles

36. Babylon 4, 5-B5. 5 miles.

37. Lunar Ring Space Station-Starship Troopers. 5 miles tall

38. Guild Highliners-Dune. 3-5 miles long.

39. First Ones Ships-B5- Appear to vary 1-5 miles in diameter.

40. Red Dwarf-Red Dwarf-4 miles long. 2600 floors

41. Alien Cruiser-B5-4 Miles

42. Earthforce Explorer Class ship-B5. 3.79 miles

43. Factory Ship-Hypernauts- 3+ miles.

44. Visitors Saucers-V mini-series. 3 miles in diameter.

45. Epsilon 9 station-STTMP. 3 miles long.

46. Hypergate-Lost in Space. 2-5 miles?

47. Husnock Ship-STNG. 1-3 miles

48. Vampire Lifeforce Collector-Lifeforce. 2 miles in length.

49. Companion ship. Earth: Final Conflict. 2 miles?

50. Whale Probe. STIV. 2+ miles?

51. Krenim Weapon Ship-Voyager. 2+ miles?

52. Drakh Cruiser- B5- 2.1 miles

53. Orbital Space Station. Aliens. 2 miles?

54. Alien Saucer-Seaquest. About 2 miles

55. Space Dock-STIII. 2-3 miles high.

56. Utopia Planitia Main Base-Voyager- 2 miles or more

57. Orbital Space Complex. Event Horizon. 2 miles wide?

55. Gadmeer Terraformor-Stargate SG1-2 miles wide

56. SPACE STATION, GOA'ULD-2 miles

--------------------
Modern bodybuilding is ritual, religion, sport, art, and science, awash in Western chemistry and mathematics. Defying nature, it surpasses it.

CAMILLE PAGLIA

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Isn't V'Ger + cloud now officially "only" 2 aus in diameter?

Out of curiousity, where'd you get the 4 miles for Red Dwarf figure from? I think it's said in one of the novels, but I'm not 100% certain.

--------------------

RAMA4
Member # 1229

- posted      Profile for RAMA4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Isn't V'Ger + cloud now officially "only" 2 aus in diameter?

Out of curiousity, where'd you get the 4 miles for Red Dwarf figure from? I think it's said in one of the novels, but I'm not 100% certain.

Not that I know of, is a new size referred to in the DE for V'er?

I forget exactly where I got the RD info, but it was official and very specific. Maybe I can find it again..

BTW does anyone on here KNOW HOW BIG THE Magog Worldship is?? Does anyone else here realize that this is Andromeda's salute to the works of Larry Niven? [Wink]

RAMA

--------------------
Modern bodybuilding is ritual, religion, sport, art, and science, awash in Western chemistry and mathematics. Defying nature, it surpasses it.

CAMILLE PAGLIA

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I believe that V'ger's measurement of 82? AU's in diameter was for the forcecloud surrounding the ship not the ship itself. As for the V'ger ship, I haven't seen any specs but my guess would be in the 175-200 mile range based on the flyby of Enterprise.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't KNOW HOW BIG THE worldship is, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you assume that the things are planets of near-earth size, within a reasonable range. It may be the single largest artificial structure in sci-fi of which I am aware. And how is it related to Niven? He didn't invent the concept of sun-encircling structures.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse this reply, but I need to deactivate the "e-mail notification" preference from this ancient topic. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to check this site out:

Starship Dimensions

RAMA4
Member # 1229

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist:
Actually, I believe that V'ger's measurement of 82? AU's in diameter was for the forcecloud surrounding the ship not the ship itself. As for the V'ger ship, I haven't seen any specs but my guess would be in the 175-200 mile range based on the flyby of Enterprise.

Its true, the ship itself is only 60 miles long, but the powerfield has always been an intrinsic part of the V'Ger probe to my mind. Enteprise traveled through miles of fields that seemed to be a part of the design, either to confuse or protect outsiders.

RAMA

RAMA4
Member # 1229

quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
I don't KNOW HOW BIG THE worldship is, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you assume that the things are planets of near-earth size, within a reasonable range. It may be the single largest artificial structure in sci-fi of which I am aware. And how is it related to Niven? He didn't invent the concept of sun-encircling structures.

Well, its hard to say..20 worlds as opposed to the materials of millions of worlds it took to build the Dyson Shpere...I'd still say the Dyson sphere is bigger. Based on the few photos images of the Magog Worldship, I'd estimate it to be about 5-6 of the larger worlds in diameter across. If they're 10,000 miles then that might be about 60,000 miles. If they're larger, maybe its in the 100,000 mile range, still well short of the Dyson SPhere.

There are other ringworlds/dyson spheres in SF, but the closest analog I have seen to the Magog ship is the Puppeteer worldship.

RAMA

--------------------

CAMILLE PAGLIA

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps