Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » A Cross-Series Comparison Chart (Page 12)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A Cross-Series Comparison Chart
RAMA4
Member # 1229

- posted      Profile for RAMA4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another point...all the official stats I have seen, including 1970s source materials list the Battlestar Galactica as 800 FEET long...where are the 610 and 1700 METER long figures coming from?

RAMA

--------------------
Modern bodybuilding is ritual, religion, sport, art, and science, awash in Western chemistry and mathematics. Defying nature, it surpasses it.

CAMILLE PAGLIA

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I don't think the actual in-episode music was changed.

The original version had two theme tunes. A dark, brooding, Also Sprach Zarathusa for series 1 and 2, and a sexed up rock version for the others. The remastered ones mixed them together. It was interesting, to be fair. And the pull back from Lister to the entire ship was far superior.

Still, the new RD was a bit meh. Where was all that rock along the bottom of the ship? How comes the brand new model looked less massive than the original? And how comes, when Dr Who was filled with really, really shit effects, Red Dwarf was able to do really nice ship shots? Eh?

Yes the brooding first and second season theme was great.

Did they ever explain why it look like an asteroid was imbedded in the underside of the ship? Was the ship built around one!?!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, Welcome back, RAMA! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Did they ever explain why it look like an asteroid was imbedded in the underside of the ship? Was the ship built around one!?!

Thread...reactivation...confusing.

I have no idea. But it was a mining ship, so I guessed that they just scooped up big parts of asteroids and mined them as they went along.

And in other news, I'm pretty sure that it was reported that in the DE version of ST:TMP, the "eight" has been dubbed out of the line saying how big it is. But I haven't gotten around to getting it myself, so I'm not 100% sure.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's two AUs now.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

RAMA4
Member # 1229

- posted      Profile for RAMA4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last info for the night, according to the new Battlestar Galactica site, the NEW Galactica is 4500 ft long, less than a mile. No where near MY list.

I think the ship list should be seperated into different sizes, like megastructures and ships. I jsut can't see most of the " tiny" [Smile] little cruisers and battleships.

RAMA

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How comes the brand new model looked less massive than the original?"

Assuming I didn't already say this at whatever point in the thread it was originally mentioned... I'm guessing that, in your mind, you're seeing both versions of the ship as being the same length. Which makes the old version a behemoth, and the new version a little skinny thing. Personally, I automatically envision them as being the same diameter, which means the old version is a little stubby thing, and the new version is much huger.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well I think they try to explain it by saying that Red Dwarf was rebuilt by those nanites in the form that it was ORIGINALLY supposed to be... but that explains the look for season 8 but not for the rest of the seasons. Love the older version.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they never should have inserted the new model into the old episodes. Thankfully, the DVDs are in the original form.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

On that note, I've just been watching the series 3 and 4 DVDs I got recently, and, in "D.N.A.", the Cat says RD is 5 miles long.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think they were up to season 4 yet. Are these the same as the ones over here, with a fairly large smattering of extras and stuff?

And my useless fact for the day..."D.N.A." stands for "Do Not Alter". Tell this to your lady friends while they watch the episode. They will be so impressed that they will perform any sexual act you can imagine, if you ask.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

My understanding is that, in Britain, one series is released each November and February. Over here, we get two series each February. So, right now, we should both be up to series 4, but you guys will get 5 in November while we wait 'til next year for 5 and 6 together.

Also, I think we get mostly the same extras as you get. Except there was something they were unable to include in the US due to copyright issues, so our DVDs come with "collector cards" with pictures of the characters on them.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Arrrrgh so many box sets to get.

Got Futurama seasons 2 and 3 a few weeks ago outside of Hobart, Tasmania for a 3rd of the normal retail price - pity he'd already sold season 1...

I've got SG-1 season 1 - but they haven't released any other seasons in Australia yet... maybe that it's on FTA and regularly repeated on pay-tv.

All the Star Trek box-sets are WAY too expensive... like $AU217 each season. Rediculous.

Buffy and Angel were recently here at 3/4 the normal price but were QUICKLY snatched up and are now back up to close to the original rrp.

X-Files, Dark Angel... hmmm can wait.

Simpsons (and the rest of Futurama normal price) at the usual $80 mark.

I DID buy "From the Earth to the Moon" off Amazon - which I was happy about.

So many series... so little money.

Oh and I wouldn't mind getting the B5 box sets... they are though around $100 each.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RAMA4:
Another point...all the official stats I have seen, including 1970s source materials list the Battlestar Galactica as 800 FEET long...where are the 610 and 1700 METER long figures coming from?

RAMA

THe 610 meter figure comes from measuring the diameter of the launch tubes compared with the known width of the vipers.
Looking at that breakdown, it makes sense.
Larson has said the old G was a nautical mile long but that seems huge.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy to this thread, for sure.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps