Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » A Cross-Series Comparison Chart (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A Cross-Series Comparison Chart
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've missed off the text for Spacedock. And is that the STIII size spacedock, or the TNG size starbase?

I'd be wary of going crazy and adding loads of obscre ships from Homeworld and Freespace. It's aready pretty cluttered.

This is the first one of these I've seen that's used actual photos of the ships, rather than prfile schematic shots. Cool.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Explorer class is I believe the ship from a season 2 episode of B5. It's a long range self-sufficient ship, designed to live on the frontier and chart new jump points. Or something.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nimpim:
You have put in the "Interstellar Alliance Victory class" twice. The Borg cube info text is also put in twice.

Yeah, I know. The Excalibur is in twice because I haven't decided which image to use yet. And the second Borg text is my sample label... all the others were grouped with their images. Having a template saves time.
quote:
Where the hell did you get a picture of the Clone Wars Pre-Star-Destroyer? I wanna know, not even the official site has them...
Actually, that's a kitbashed side-view of the Victory-class Star Destroyer! I just took the sloped superstructure and reversed it, and then lengthened the engines. It didn't look great in the full-size, but it's a pretty close match for the small scale. (I used the reference from the top view of the model from StarWars.com.)
quote:
The "Earth Alliance Explorer Class" looks like a Bab-5 ship, but what is it?
Yes, that's a Babylon 5 ship. We saw it only twice -- they're supposed to be long-range exploration/pathfinder ships. One of their main jobs is to go into uncharted space and build jumpgates so that smaller ships can follow. We saw the ship in the B5 second season episode "A Distant Star" and the Crusade episode "War Zone" (it was Gideon's former ship in that ep).
quote:
The "Third Space Aliens Heavy Cruiser", what series does it come from, and what does the rest of it look like?
Yeah, that's another B5 ship. Actually, the top half looks just about the same as the bottom half. It was a really weird ship -- because the rear half of the sphere-like container was not connected in any way to the front part of the ship.

Liam: Thanks, I know that there's no label for the Spacedock yet. I got that size from EAS, I think, and yes, it's the Star Trek III size.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two Galaxies.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Liam; where's the Dwarf?!

How about the Rodger Young from Starship Troopers?

Also I never knew the Discovery and Alexei Leonov had cloaking devices... [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I can't seem to find a schematic drawing of the Red Dwarf anywhere on the 'net. I wanted to figure out how big it would be on that chart (the skinny version would probably be about the size of B5, but the original model would be a lot taller), but my searches revealed nothing. Anyone know where such an image might be located, out of curiosity?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Also I never knew the Discovery and Alexei Leonov had cloaking devices... [Wink] [Big Grin]

Actually, the Discovery is there! It's just so damn tiny...

I added the label for the Leonov because I had a reference about how long it was, but couldn't find a proper side view at that moment.

Harry, thanks for pointing out the duplicate Galaxies! [Smile]

Liam, Wraith, and TSN: I'll definitely add Red Dwarf if I can find an image. I've never seen it, but I know a bit about the series. (Well, not much at all, but I've heard the name enough to know that it's a fairly well-known series.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I've never found a decent side view of Red Dwarf. For that matter, I'm not sure where I heard that its 5 miles long from, or which of the two models they were referring to (although I tend to think it's the first one).

There were a few stock shots of Red Dwarf used on the show that were in almost perfect profile. If only they'd hurry up and get the series out on DVD, you could use on of them. Although it would probably be of the new one, and not the old one.

Why on earth does the new model look smaller than the old one anyway? It's rubbish.

Stick Starbug on there. [Smile]

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Sci-Fi Encyclopedia from Br!tain notes Red Dwarf as being 5 miles long, 3 miles wide, & a combination of "Dark Star meets the Nostromo."

Incidentally, how about Dark Star? Or Nostromo? Or United Planets Cruiser C-57D? Oh, & don't forget the Lectroid ships (both Black & Red) from "Buckaroo Banzai," to say nothing of either the Vogon Constructor Fleet OR the Heart of Gold.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unicron!
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mega-Maid!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'd forgotten how long RD was, so I went and found a site w/ the scripts on it. Cat says that it's five miles long in the fourth-year episode "DNA".
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you're looking to enlarge the canvas you could always make it two concetric circles, one for each Death Star... [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

LOL, Omega, that's a cool idea! The only question is, just how big the Death Stars really were... which is a whole different argument. Some sites claim that they were 120 km diameter, and others say it was 900+ km.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam,

It's the Star Trek III starbase. There's a Constitution silhouette in one of the docking entrys.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps