Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » A Cross-Series Comparison Chart (Page 3)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A Cross-Series Comparison Chart
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put everything to shame... add the Dyson's sphere! [Smile] V'ger would be the only thing that'd come close I guess! [Smile]

Can you put a tag as to which series/movie it is from?

What about the Taelon mothership from Earth: Final Conflict?

The Negh'var/Voodieh/Regent's ship

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Put everything to shame... add the Dyson's sphere! [Smile] V'ger would be the only thing that'd come close I guess! [Smile]

Heh... yeah, the Dyson Sphere certainly would be the biggest... although that Magog worldship from "Andromeda" might be larger yet.
quote:
Can you put a tag as to which series/movie it is from?
Actually, I was thinking about doing that myself. It started out easy enough when the only series were Trek, Wars, and B5, but with so many others, it's definitely a good idea now.
quote:
What about the Taelon mothership from Earth: Final Conflict?

The Negh'var/Voodieh/Regent's ship

Those will definitely go in, provided I can find the proper images. For a lot of the ships that I've been looking for, I can get decent screenshots and general images, but orthographic views are pretty rare. Obviously I'll get the Negh'var from Bernd's site, though... [Wink]

Ships I've managed to add: The Roger Young from "Starship Troopers" and the NSEA Protector from "Galaxy Quest"!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's not a TV series but how about the Honor Harrington ships? Size chart

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like a dildo collection

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that you mention it.... [Razz]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only question is, just how big the Death Stars really were... which is a whole different argument. Some sites claim that they were 120 km diameter, and others say it was 900+ km.

Well, they WERE different sizes...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SW vehicle guide lists them as, I think, 120km in diameter and 16km in diameter for the original and Jedi versions respectively. But then I've seen the SW arguments for the SSD, so I know that a lot of fans ignore that.

Regarding Red Dwarf, we would have to assume that both models are 5 miles long, if we stick to Cat's line. After all, DNA has been shown with both the original model and the newer thinner one, so his statement would have to be true for both ships.

I would be hesitant to put ships any bigger than the SSD on though. A lot of the ships are already tiny. If you had to change the scale, it would render the small ships so small as to be faily pointless.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless, of course, you left the scale the same and simply gave yourself more area to work with...

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, then you have unmanageably large images like the dildo collection.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not seriously considering the uber-large ships like the Death Stars. The SSD is probably as large as I'll get, and I don't intend to change the scale at all.

As for the actual image size, I don't want the file to get too out of hand, because scrolling around to view different parts of an image can get annoying. If I collect many more images, I might end up splitting the chart into two parts (maybe even separate scales) in order to make it easier to view.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V'Ger the ship or V'Ger with cloud?

The cloud and the Dyson Sphere are going to be roughly the same size, assuming that the star within the sphere was roughly sunlike and the environment they were looking to build was roughly class M. Of course, the behavior of the star in the episode suggests it wasn't your average G2 star, so I don't know.

How big is this Andromeda ship? I mean, if it is the size of the Earth, well, that is big, and good for them. But the Dyson Sphere (or the V'Ger cloud) had enough volume to hold 13,008,290,663,594 Earths. More or less. If my numbers are right. Which is usually unlikely.

Omega
Member # 91

Well, the Magog Worldship was comprised of twenty hollowed planets in... whatchacallit, an icosahedron? There was a standard-size yellow star in the center, around which the structure was built.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as scrolling goes, I'd recommend you just pick a nice average width (like, say 1024 which most people tend to have their desktops set to) as I find it a lot easier to scroll up and down than side to side (and up and down like the current image requires).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
As far as scrolling goes, I'd recommend you just pick a nice average width (like, say 1024 which most people tend to have their desktops set to) as I find it a lot easier to scroll up and down than side to side (and up and down like the current image requires).

Good idea... I may do that.

Only problem: The SSD image is longer than that -- 1700 pixels. But that's only one ship, so I may find a way to work around that. Like orienting that ship vertically. (It's the only ship that's longer than 10 kilometers so far -- aside from the extreme examples like the Death Stars and the Magog "systemship" [I guess "worldship" doesn't quite fit, does it?].)

As for the size of that Magog-death-thing, it's kind of hard to tell the scale. It's definitely got a star (artificial or natural) at the center, and I assumed that those were real planet-sized masses, but the scale to link all the spheres is pretty distorted. Especially when you look at the rings that link the whole thing together. Either it's something that's even more complex in construction than the Dyson Sphere, or it's a bit smaller than we were lead to believe.

http://www.ladymaigrey.com/seasonone/last/118.jpg

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh... You could include my Elani supercruiser if you really wanted to. [Wink] Here's an image to scale with the chart. [Cool]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps