Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » A Cross-Series Comparison Chart (Page 4)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: A Cross-Series Comparison Chart
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to say that the components of the Magog structure are far, far larger than your average planet.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mega Maid would certainly be up there too!

MEGA MAID!

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went and tried to do this last night.. i made a chart with Mega-Maid, the Eagle-5 Winnebago the NSEA Protector, and Red Dwarf, but the size differences were too great for it to work.. it was pretty funny having to assign governments to the

Spaceball-1 (Mega Maid configuration)
approx. 6,000 km
The Planet Spaceballs

Eagle-5 Winnebago
8 meters
owned by Lone Starr

N.S.E.A. Protector, NTE-3120
365.4 meters
National Space Exploration Agency (?)

BTW, in my research i found that the 'NTE' in NTE-3120 stands for 'Not The Enterprise'

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PsyPork: "Regarding Red Dwarf, we would have to assume that both models are 5 miles long, if we stick to Cat's line."

What, "All your Five Miles Long Base Are Belong To Us !!!"?

Wraith: I didn't know you were into Honor Harrington? Thanks for the link, I tracked down the whole gallery.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other large Trek structures:

The First Federation's Fesarius
The Whale Probe
The Remmler Array
The Epsilon 9 station
Drydock
The Borg Transwarp Hub
The Borg 'village' from Dark Frontier
The Caretaker's Array

B5:

The Vorlon Planet-Killer
The Shadow Cloud
The Minbari Cruiser
The Centauri Cruiser

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Topher: What's that Elani ship from? I don't recognize the reference. (Also, given the size, that image isn't really detailed enough. Sorry.)

Captain Mike: If I can find a good image of Spaceball One and/or Mega Maid, they're definitely going in! [Big Grin]

BTW, can you give me a reference for the NSEA Protector's length? I got something around 450 meters...

Andrew: I've already added the Remmler Array, too. Epsilon IX will go in if I can find a good size reference, and most of the others assuming I can find good images. Exceptions: the Whale Probe is too big -- remember that the little ball/extension was about the size of the Spacedock -- and the Drydocks are too small to show up properly, since they're mainly thin lines.

I actually tried a test image of the Vorlon planet killer, but that thing is 45 km long minimum -- too big, especially because the image I found got too grainy when blown up that big.

The Minbari and Centauri cruisers are already in also. The Shadow death cloud won't be in because it's undefined shape, and literally the size of a planet.

General note: I'm probably going to make a little inset to use for some of the smaller ships later on. But right now, anything that's smaller than about 200 meters ends up being just a unidentifiable smudge on the screen. Example in my preliminary chart: the USS Discovery from "2001" really IS there!

Addendum: I really must learn to try to use more specific search parameters. A search of the term "mega maid" (with quotes) in OS X's Sherlock engine returned THIS link among the top five! [Eek!]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

there is only one image that comes up on google image search.. type 'mega maid' i rotated it and it scaled up ok when i adjusted to bright/contrast.. none of it in the regular configuration. the size is based on the fact that it straddled a damn planet. BTW, if you have SafeSearch toggled to 'off' you should see some of the mega maid pics I saw...

a scale reference Cinefex Magazine states that the 8 foot effect model of the NSEA Protector was 1:200 scale, which would make the "Real" Protector about 1600 feet long. this doesnt jibe with the size of the bridge module compared to cars in the convention parking lot, unless it had more decks in it than just the bridge. and the shuttlebay was much too large for a ship that size. but whose shuttle bay isnt these days? possibly that was a tip of the hat to Voyager and DS9 [Wink]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan: I said it was my Elani ship. It was a joke, as the Elani are a race I created for the Trek universe. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you should split the thing into two charts with different scales, and use, say, the Federation starbase as the dividing point? Have it on both as a point of comparison. Have the uber-structures like the Death Star(s) and the MegaMaid on one, and the normal ships on the other.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I like that idea of using one large structure as the benchmark between the two! I'll look into that... Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I just wanted to say, MM, that this is really cool. I very much look forward to seeing the finished product. I do like the idea of having a separate structures chart, but it's very cool to see them all together. Anyway, excellent work, sir...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought of another ship to add to the list after seeing the episode today - the Husnock ship was a bit bigger than the E-D IIRC.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nimpim:

Wraith: I didn't know you were into Honor Harrington? Thanks for the link, I tracked down the whole gallery.

Yeah; started reading after that thread, earlier this year. Took me a little while to get hold of 'em all though; can't wait for War of Honor! Also found Honor-Harrington.com if you're interested.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the Husnock ship was a bit bigger than the E-D IIRC.
Yeah... by about eight times. [Big Grin]
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that you should separate the thing into two (or more) charts.

I would suggest the following categories:

1. Ships (capable of traversing space moving under their own power)

2. Structures (immobile, or mobile only with thrusters or tugs)

and possibly subdivide 2, to create category 3

3. Planetary and larger objects (Death Stars, Dyson Spheres, Unicron...) Perhaps the smallest Death Star would be your benchmark, then again, it was apparently capable of travelling through space...

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps