Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $ Battlestar Galactica (The Next Generation) $$poiler$$ (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: $ Battlestar Galactica (The Next Generation) $$poiler$$
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhmm ... helloooo?

Just kiddin' ... I LUUUUV YOU MAAAAN!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jusus holy fuck: It's still 2003 and nobody loves anything or anyone.
Got that pal?!?

save that noise for next year.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LUUUUV YOU, MAAAAAN!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:: wraps Jeff in a big ol' Texas Bear Hug ::

I LOVE YOU, MAN! FOREVER AND EVER!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a room you two.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I LUUUUUV YOU JAAAAAAAAAAAAASON!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I never wanted a man to say that to me and now that it's happened, I never want it to happen again.
I like you, but just "as a freind".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, er, thanks, but I just meant that I loved you as a "friend" ... I'm going to leave this 'freind' thing along for you and your twisted friends!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE YOU, JASON! WITH ALL MY HEART AND LOINS!

On another serious note, and returning to the topic, I agree with you, Balaam, on your point in regards to the sometimes off-kilter interpersonal exchanges. Would I be far off base if I said you had the Apollo and Starbuck scenes in mind? A couple of them really stood out in my mind for unintentional awkwardness (the brig scene and the "He's Alive!" scene).

If this goes on to series production, I think a lot of the rough edges will be smoothed out.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Apollo-Starbuck, Apollo-Adama, President-Apollo... Apollo-AndPrettyMuchEveryone seemed off. But then the Gaius-AnyoneNotACylonStrumpet relationships also seemed really confused. I liked Tigh, though. I thought he did a good job. And that younger bridge officer was good too. I frequently liked the president. I occasionally liked the president's aide. I thought Boomer was good on the planet, and less good in space.

As Siggy says, I suspect that given a little time together and perhaps less production pressure these kinks could be ironed out. I'd watch it for a while probably.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I can understand the awkwardness in the Apollo-Adama and the Adama-Roslin relationships. Both of those are supposed to be (in my opinion) pretty adversarial. In one, you have a guy who's royally pissed off at the other and has been for years. In the other, you have a strong-willed military man versus a strong-willed humanitarian. I concede, though, that the awkwardness in those relationships, while realistic, weren't the results of superb acting.

--------------------

bX
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch Firefly sometime if you get a chance. There's an example of interpersonal relationships done right. It's a little rough in spots, but you do get the feeling that these people have lived and worked together for some time. I actually thought the Adama-Roslin (thanks, btw) relationship was pretty OK. And there was one scene with Apollo-Roslin that was actually pretty good. But I attribute this largely to Mary McDonnell because she's awesome and also Donnie Darko's mom.

Also, I LUV YOU, MAN.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally got a chance to watch this thing - after reading your comments for some time.

1} Having the terminology mirrow terran wet-navy terminology didn't bother me. I assumed that they weren't speaking English, and that the dialog (and graphics} were translated. I assumed the same thing during Star Wars (remember the Tractor Beam graphic?). Seriously, if they are going to use English translations for 'the' and but', why not for 'Landing Bay' and 'Fusion'? Why would they use 'Gllcooash' when they mean 'computer'? And why not use contemporary translations for the character names as well. I thought the cutest part was making such monickers as 'Starbuck' callsigns instead of their proper names. A clear case of the second producer improving on the first.

2) I have to go with the 'several mini-networks' theory. It makes a lot of sense - and is similar (I believe) to present-day naval systems.

3) Regarding hyper jumps, apparently all they need is a displacement vector and scalar (direction and range) from their present position. The only difficulty seemed to be insuring that they didn't re-emerge in a BAD place. I loved the jumps - which seemed to be fairly instantaneous. Very reminiscent of Niven/Pournelle's 'The Mote in God's Eye' - up to and including the post-jump disorientation.

4) Haing met several families who put the 'fun' back in 'disfunctional', I didn't have any problems with the interpersonal relationship aspects.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

bX
Member # 419

It's just the way they were portrayed. Seemed oversimplified.

ALSO, there is new news. For those of us interested in there being an ongoing series, well it sounds like we're getting one.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/updates/extras/seriespr.html

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Vancouver - great!!!

I think I'll walk over to the studio and get a set tour...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps