Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "38 Minutes" ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: SGA "38 Minutes" ($$$)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not suprised that they did essentially a "ship" show this early to save a little production money. And of course they happened to have two extras in the cockpit area when they got wedged in the stargate. [Roll Eyes]

Some interesting points, though: A stargate sends "all or nothing", meaning that the front part of the jumper would cease to exist when the stargate shut off. Also, it seems that unless you do go all the way into the event horizon, you can back out and not go through. Ford's hand happened to not go in, and they pulled him out.

I still like Dr. Beckett, the Scottish guy.

Any clues as to what nationality they tech guy is? You know, the one with the ear piece? He has an interesting accent that I can't place.

The American with the braided ponytail is a real ass. I don't think Weir was serious at first, but after he laughed at her, I wouldn't put it past her.

Okay, is it just me, or do more of the alien humans know English than do our Earth humans? There was the one Czech guy who just barely knew how to speak English.

B.J.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very proud to say that I came up with the final solution of blowing the rear hatch, before anyone on the show mentioned the idea. I love it when I can think ahead like that. [Big Grin]

After four hours of the show, I still think that McKay is my favorite character. I have a real soft spot for smart-aleck, pain-in-the-ass characters. (As opposed to total assholes like the guy with the braided ponytail.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Any clues as to what nationality they tech guy is? You know, the one with the ear piece? He has an interesting accent that I can't place."

In the pilot, his jacket (which I don't think he's worn since) had a British flag on it. But he spoke in Spanish to a Spanish guy, so it's possible his accent is supposed to be Spanish/English.

Here's a question about this episode: why did the vampire spider come back to life at the end, just in time to be sucked out into space?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOR DRAMA!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As lower-budget "bottle" shows go, this was a remarkably good drama in the vein of "Apollo 13". I had my doubts about the Ford character, fearing he'd be left behind like Kim or Wesley or any show's token "young guy". But he's being given a lot of character-driven stuff to do and say, and while we haven't dealt as much with his personal background yet (as with everyone but Weir, really), I do hope they'll give it to him. The actor is obviously capable of delivering.

Tiny complaint - what was with all the civilian clothes at the end? I know that the Atlantis team is principally a civilian operation with added military force, but shoudl they be THIS comfy? Why bring all thes civvie outfits? Teyla especially - those are certainly not of her own culture's motif. Who lent here THAT stuff... Or did they just get all the actors to shoot something at the end before they went home for the evening?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"FOR DRAMA!"

What drama? The drama of knowing the thing is going to be conscious when it gets freeze-dried in the vacuum of space? Or maybe we're supposed to think it could possibly show up again one day as a recurring villain?

[ August 01, 2004, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very proud to say that I came up with the final solution of blowing the rear hatch, before anyone on the show mentioned the idea.

Me too. Though I was more dismayed that they seemed surprised when the ship didn't start moving after they retracted the pod. I mean... DUH. But I laughed out loud at Ford throwing himself against the front wall trying to get the ship moving.

Here's a question about this episode: why did the vampire spider come back to life at the end, just in time to be sucked out into space?

My guess is that it coming back to life gave them an excuse to put it on camera as being sucked into space.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nit #2: On at least one occasion, you can see someone walk in front of the event horizon intersecting the Jumper, and see the shadow cast by the actor on the rear-screen projection. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I'm very proud to say that I came up with the final solution of blowing the rear hatch, before anyone on the show mentioned the idea. I love it when I can think ahead like that. [Big Grin]

Yeah, about the exact instant they said "we're not moving!", I yelled "Blow the hatch!".

BTW, have we seen any other instances of someone backing out of an open gate before they go all the way through? I know O'Neill held a gate open with a pistol before, but that was on the receiving end.

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

In the second epsiode of the first season, Teal'c and a Goa'ulded Major Kawalsky were fighting in front of the gate, and parts of them ducked in and out of the event horizon at least once. Then they turned off the gate with the back of Kawalsky's head in it - slice! [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like the preview playing every commercial break showing McKay bitching about how they're screwed. I really hope he's suppose to whine about how he's going to die in every episode.

I always thought that objects in the stargate immediately showed up on the other side. So if I stuck my arm through the gate it would instantely appear on the other side while the rest of me was still in the SGC. I remember one episode when O'Neill pretended to quit the SGC and join Colonel Maybourne we see the stargate from the top with the SGC on one side and an alien world on the other so as O'Neill stepped through he instantely on the other side and basically at both places at the same time.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Yeah, but that doesn't prove anything, since it was just a fancy shot. It doesn't mean that he was definitely sticking through both ends of the wormhole at once.

Besides, to accept that, you'd have to ignore all of the instances where they've shown that a trip through the wormhole takes time.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. However, Teal'c has, if I recall correctly, stood on one side of the gate and fired a grappling hook attached to a rope through it, one imagines in the hopes of it coming out the other side and catching something. (Specifically, this is that one episode where a stargate gets buried by, uh, meteorite-related activity, I think.) But perhaps he figured it would come out before him (and hopefully, well, grapple) since it had gone in before him.

I'm usually not a big fan of "the gate knows how to do things" plot points, though.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Ooh, you're right. That's the one where the gate gets buried and O'Neill is trapped for a few months. The one where the MALP goes through and falls back in, because the gate is sideways.

The problem, of course, is that Teal'c started climbing through and left part of the rope behind in the SGC. Which means that, by the new "38 Minutes" logic, he and the rope never would have materialized on the other side, until the entire rope was in.

I guess we can assume that someone in the SGC just tossed the rest of the rope into the wormhole after him.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Though, as you point out, there are plenty of other scenes that seem to show people stepping through the gate and then being dematerialized. Well, at least in the movie...

Also, I almost forgot:
quote:
What drama? The drama of knowing the thing is going to be conscious when it gets freeze-dried in the vacuum of space? Or maybe we're supposed to think it could possibly show up again one day as a recurring villain?
WHAT IF IT BITES HIM BEFORE HE HITS THE SWITCH THEY WILL ALL DIE?!?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps