Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "38 Minutes" ($$$) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: SGA "38 Minutes" ($$$)
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather think the research team thought the device would take their test pilot to outer space. Or some similarly hostile environment, at any rate. A diving suit would have been the state of the art EVA gear of the time, no matter what the environment. (Yeah, I know they tested aviator pressure suits in the 1930s already - but those would be even more difficult to find than diving suits.)

Here's a possibility: Ernest removed his helmet by some sort of an accident (panic attack?) while in the wormhole. He and his suit then made it through, the helmet and the attached hose did not. Then the wormhole shut down due to insufficient power (or the Gate mechanism decided the helmet was just leftovers, contaminants, whatever, not a traveler), and the helmet and the stretch of hose that was inside were annihilated. We never did see the helmet in the Library, now did we?

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. Yah. They used it to attract the lighting.

At least that's what I remember.

Maybe when Ernest got to the other side, whatever motion he made backed the hose into the event horizon, vaporizing part of it and severing the connection. Though, that would imply that Ernest made it to the other side before the entire hose had gone through.

I don't know... I'd rather just believe that the Gate can distinguish between large, singular objects and trailing objects.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remind me then never to let a cat through the gate, then. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Schroedenger...
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's Season 1 I should have been rewatching... [Embarrassed]

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I didn't build the things, I just use them.

Though, come to think of it, wouldn't that be the ultimate modeling job? Building a Stargate in your back yard. Non-functional of course. You'd be the neighborhood uberGeek. It'd be awesome.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps some sort of odd traction in the wormhole caused the (shoddily manufactured?) hose to pop loose from the helmet. Then the suit and Ernest would have become a separate object from the hose and made it through.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:

BTW, have we seen any other instances of someone backing out of an open gate before they go all the way through? I know O'Neill held a gate open with a pistol before, but that was on the receiving end.

B.J. [/QB]

In the movie - Daniel sticks his head in and we see that cool effect - pulls it out again - then goes fully through.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not his head; just his hands. In "The Enemy Within", Teal'c and Kawalsky fight in front of an open wormhole, and they dip in and out of it several times before O'Neil closes the gate with Kawalsky's head partially inside. Slice!

In

Mark

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remain an advocate of dumb gates. I prefer to think of the gates as mysteriously complex and powerful, but ultimately having very limited knowledge about what it is they are passing through them and which direction. Because deciding what is and isn't a complete object would clearly be such a messy problem. Not to mention a profoundly boring story consideration. (See above: my inanely rambling scenarios.) I mean, have you actually read the convoluted rationalizations above about what may have happened to Ernest's airhose? Can't we just not go there. Can't it just be magic and perhaps inexplicable. I really don't want 'transporter accident' eps for Stargate.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think for the movie scene with ol' Danny boy, he sticks his hand in and brings it out. Since his whole body didn't step in yet his hand didn't reappear on the other side. When he sticks his face in, it appears normal for a second, he opens his eyes and it warp stretches forward. Although I seem to recall a time or two when someone already fully into the gate grabbed another person on the other side.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

They're pretty consistent about the one-way nature of the gate. However, there may be an instance in a dream where someone reaached out from a wormhole event horizon to grab someone else. Maybe that episode where Daniel got infected with Machello's little slugs?

Mark

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Twas.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps