Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Battlestar Galactica new series ep 1 '33' (quite probably major spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica new series ep 1 '33' (quite probably major spoilers)
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed on the clock-logic 8)

quote:
Speaking of Boomer she's not a very convincing infiltrator, I mean she never showed any sign of fatigue, she didn't even fake it when Starbuck quipped that she wasn't tired 'cause she was a Cylon.
The problem is, we are led to believe that Boomer doesn't know she's an infiltrator, but only a sleeper programmed to act like a human.

How many human clones (or whatever they are) are there? In the miniseries, it looked like there only a few dozen of them. If so, then they made a rather large effort to catch Helo (at least three clones).

I really don't feel like nitpicking this show too much, because the drama is just really good.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's obvious what's going to happen: they're setting her up to become a goodie, a 'nice' Cylon who's on the humans' side.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

DoughBoy05
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for DoughBoy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just re watched "33" they had 4 Mk VII at the beginning of the showmaking emergency landing, although it was stock footage from the pilot.

--------------------
"Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does."

"It's pretty obvious, isn't it?"

The Doctor and Sgt. Benton, in "The Three Doctors"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Boomer - I rather thought that they're setting up for her to break her programming.
Which leads to the question, was there ever a real Boomer? I find it hard to believe that a Cylon can just appear out of nowhere and become a military pilot with no history, no family, and no friends. It seams more likely that they Cylons replaced the original human Boomer, copied her personality and memories and hid the "sleeper program" in her subconscious. On the other hand Cylons being naturally adept at computer manipulation could easily create fake, electronic identities for their infiltrators. Including all the basics: birth certificates, credit histories, qualifications, a whole history. All they needed to do was to make sure they had no ties that could be followed up on by having them be only children, orphans, immigrants from one of the other colonies, that sort of thing. Of course a focused investigation would probably blow their cover, but the whole point of a deep cover operative is to not draw that kind of attention in the first place.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It helps that the Colonies didn't even know about the infiltrators until it was far too late.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marauth:
Point is they could hack into a watch, the Colonials probably had extremely advanced protection for their networks, Gaius gave 6 access to the defense mainframe - that's how they got in, they were let in.

My point was that it seemed strange they could in let in with simply code. The description of Cylon computer infiltration to me almost sounded like they could get into any system, even without direct physical access. Thus it seems logical that the Colonials would at least isolate their mainframe from any otherside contact, like not connecting it to any network or modems and encasing it in lead, so a simple access code is meaningless unless you can physically use one of their highly guarded terminals directly linked to the mainframe. I don't see Six as being in a position to do that. Maybe the Cylons had a sufficiently high ranked military sleeper with authorization? But why would someone who can access the mainframe physically not have the access code?

quote:
They've never really given us a count of all the fighters they had on board, the MkIIs were kept off in storage somewhere so it's possible they still had a couple of MkVIIs they didn't send to get blown up.
That is quite likely.

quote:
Re: the clock reset, man that's just anal-retentive, there is such a thing as paying too much attention.
Unscramble this word for me, would you?

EKRJ

This is a forum of geeks, attention to detail comes with the territory. So your suspension of disbelief is set to a higher tolerance than mine, fine, but please don't call me names over that.

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CESR you then if you're gonna get all p1ssy cause of an anal-retentive comment which isn't even name calling; I have a rather low tolerance for suspension of disbelief but there are limits, it's not as bad as any of the continuity or logic problems Voyager or Enterprise suffers, it's just a clock being set a few seconds later than a special effects shot.

It's not even like the FX shots are always in synch with the action shots so telling the actual time between the end of the jump and the time they reset the clock is never going to be accurate with any degree of certainty.

Damnit I've become geeky again.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I think you're missing a W in that CESR bit...

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh kfcu. [Big Grin] I must proofread more.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. So far, this is proving to be a really depressing episode. The memorial/missing persons walls remind me of what I've seen in news footage from the tsunami-affected areas. Dualla looks crushed trying to find her friends and after she misses the Olympic. The population count was eery, sitting here watching it keep going down and down.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FRACK!

God I hate when sci-fi shows make up cuss words to substitute for shit or fuck. B5 had "fragging" and Farscape "frell".

And what's with the shakey camera movement? It's like the guy holding the camera didn't have a steady grip. Other shows and movie do the same thing too which I can't understand. Jerky camera movements, sudden quick zooming in and out. What's the point?

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the fact is that they really can't use that kind language, at least not at that time of day (I don't know how it works in the states, but the UK has a 9pm watershed) so they have to either take the edge of the explicitives, or substitute them for made up ones...or translate them into chinese [Wink]

As for the camera work, I think the intention is to give the show a documentry feel, like everything you're seeing actually happend and was actually filmed by actual camermen that everyone is ignoring. This style has been used on productions like Black Hawk Down, Band of Brothers and Firefly to great effect and from where I sit it's working just fine for BSG.
There down sides to this approach, for starters it is a cheat since there couldn't really be cameras in allot of these places without someone reacting to them, or getting in their way. That's where suspension of disbelief comes in.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man is this a thread revival...but justified I think. [Wink]

Regarding Boomer, I remember in the mini, she said to annoyingkid...er, Boxey that both her parents died when she was really young. Hence no connections.

Overall, a great start, though I think that Cally needs more airtime, for sure! [Wink]

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Battlestar Galactica started airing overseas before it did here in the States. Episodes "33", "Water", and "Act of Contrition" already have threads started on them. Might as well save Charles some server space and revive, reuse, and recycle.

The markup artists did a really good job of making Cally look exhausted. They also did pretty well for Helo's radiation sickness just before he injected himself.

And, based on this and the second episode, "Water", it looks like we have a Caprica subplot. I wonder if there are any humans still surviving on the colonial worlds or if Helo is all that's left there. It would have been nice for the state of the Caprica Boomer (Cylon or not?) to remain unknown at the moment, but the miniseries recap at the beginning of the episode sure made it clear that she is Cylon.

One other thing worth mentioning is that some of the make-up work was uneven. Adama, Tigh, Roslin, and Roslin's aide all looked exhausted, but Dualla, Tyrol, and Gaeta all looked perfectly fine. And, of course, Boomer looked perfectly fine as well, but we all know why.

I also shall repeat my earlier assertion: what a depressing episode.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, indeed.

It was interesting - my BSG viewing pleasure included an episode of the apparently short lived revival "Galactica 1980" which took place 30 years after the original show. I saw an episode -- reportedly, according to the Google search, anyway -- wherein Starbuck (in his only appearance on the show) is stranded on a planet with a Cylon and befriends it. A little touching in a "OMG everyone and their mother has done one of these episodes", but whatever.

Then I saw "33" and "Water" tonight. Wow. Wow wow wow. Can't really add anything to them on top of what anyone else has. I can't believe the Chief hasn't sort of clued in that Boomer's using him, and I really expected him to be gonered when he went in to her shuttle after she found the water.

And so Boomer's fighting her Cylon programming, eh? Neato. Of course, do we really know *she's* a Cylon? I mean, I know we saw a Cylon duplicate of her at the end of the mini-series, but the sub-plot Boomer might be the Cylon, and the BSG Boomer the real person. Although that would beg the question, "Why'd she go for a swim in a water tank?"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps