Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Battlestar Galactica new series ep 1 '33' (quite probably major spoilers) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica new series ep 1 '33' (quite probably major spoilers)
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank the Lords of KOBOL that was the only episode of BG1980 you ever saw. Thank them a LOT.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find myself in a quandary (which DOES sound like a small korean hatchback). Having been abroad for the first half of the BSG run on Sky, do I do some heavy Bit-Torrentin' to catch up - because I like what I've seen while channel-surfing, though I've avoided watching whole episodes - or just wait and hope the 1st season comes out on DVD soon?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

StarLord
Member # 1430

- posted      Profile for StarLord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This show has a lot of complicated topics and issues connected with it. On one hand I wonder if it's too dark to succeed in the states. On the other, it's trying to be different, which is refreshing.

--------------------
www.incredibleworlds.cjb.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the events in "Water" are any indication, I'm pretty sure that Boomer has realized that she is a Cylon. Boomer seemed to be aware of what she was going to do and was fighting herself over it. I think she might have had an inkling when she discovered the missing detonators, but she has got to know completely by now.

More spoilers related to future episodes.
$
$
$

In one of the promos during the show, we see a scene from a future episode where Boomer confesses that she's a Cylon to Tyrol (who, incidentally, is standing in front of Cylon Raider parked in Galactica's landing bay). I wonder how soon they're going to do the confession and whether or not this will also just be a secret between Tyrol and Boomer (if Tyrol even believes her).

$
$
$
Spoilers above.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I find myself in a quandary (which DOES sound like a small korean hatchback). Having been abroad for the first half of the BSG run on Sky, do I do some heavy Bit-Torrentin' to catch up - because I like what I've seen while channel-surfing, though I've avoided watching whole episodes - or just wait and hope the 1st season comes out on DVD soon?

That's down to how patient you're feeling.
Personally I'd bittorrent myself up to date since the DVDs are probably a reletivly long ways off.
Either way, do not even attempt to watch them out of order since you'll get lost very quickly. This show seams to be even more plot heavy than even the 3rd & 4th seasons of B5.

Siegfried: Don't let those previews fool you. They're edited to show stuff completly out of context.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is true, Reverend. The worst example of this was probably for last week's ER. My sister loves the showed, and she was so pissed off about how completely misleading the promo for that episode was (in addition to just being a poorly written episode). Still, the promo for the future Galactica episodes showed some pretty interesting tidbits.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

StarLord
Member # 1430

- posted      Profile for StarLord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
33 just aired in the USA. It was pretty good. SciFi's already talking with Moore about a projected second season, and Moore is developing six scripts to that effect.

--------------------
www.incredibleworlds.cjb.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MORE SPOILERS
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

In one of the promos during the show, we see a scene from a future episode where Boomer confesses that she's a Cylon to Tyrol

That was taken out of context, she was being sarcastic.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wound up really liking the '33' episode. Less so, 'Water'. But '33' was real science fiction. I love the idea that Galactica, et al. have made FTL jumps what was it, 238 times before the Cylons manage to track them? That sort of relentless, unwavering determination is admirable in a bad guy. It reminds me of The Terminator. No, but it's great. It's what a machine would do:

1) Track remaining humans.
2) Assault remaining humans.
3) Humans left? Go to step 3.
4) Dance around little tin god or whatever.

That simplicity appeals to me because it doesn't make them over-clever, but still makes them completely menacing.

I love how ragged the crew is getting towards the end. Some of the Tigh and Adama stuff seemed like real short-tempered behavior. It's different from the way, say, VOY would handle it (with Janeway's infalible magic coffee decanter.) It made me question whether the decision to blow up the Olympic carrier wasn't sleep-deprivation induced paranoia. That's interesting. I do likes me some fallible hero characters. I like Adama and Roslin's strained relationship and the way Apollo fits in between works nicely. It seemed desperate in a way the original show and Voyager rarely (if ever did). Me likey.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the defense of the Olympic Carrier destruction, they did notice that there was no one on board when they flew beside it, and they didn't get any response from the ship after the initial contact. It was probably just a recorded message the Cylons whipped up to get the ship close enough to detonate its nuclear cargo.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Of course, there might really had been a Cylon piloting the ship with the 1300+ humans corralled in cargo holds under guard away from the windows. Nobody did any sort of bioscan on the Olympic Carrier when it reappeared. When we see Apollo later on in "Water", he certainly acts like he wasn't totally convinced the Olympic Carrier was empty.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're still thinking in Trek terms, I think. We don't know if they have any sort of "bioscan" available in the Raptor or Vipers. Even if they did, it might not be discrete enough to use to determine if people are onboard a ship.

B.J.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, this isn't Trek and as such we will probably never know if anyone was aboard the olympic carrier or be spoon fed some explanation as to what happened. Personally I prefer the ambiguity.
The show seams to be from an entirely human perspective, no cutting to the cylons in their evil headquarters plotting naughty things. If our "heros" are in the dark about something, then so are we.
All we (and they) know is that the Olympic was acting suspiciously and the presence of a nuke was indicated, so they blew it up. A hard choice but that's why it's a Science Fiction Drama, not a mindless adventure show where the bad guys are always foiled and ther heros have moral superiority.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, glanced at tonight's episode synopsis on Sky and it said it was Part 1 of 2 with next week being the series finale. Which means I'll have to explore other means of catching up. I should have Torrented them as they appeared, but NZ Bastard Telecom sold me a broadband package on the basis there were no download caps and then told me there were. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps