Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Highlander V (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Highlander V
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably a Scientology reference, though one can never be too sure with that one.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there an Immortal in one of the episodes who ran around with a gun shooting other Immortals, then beheading them before they came to? I remember at the end of the ep, Duncan swatted the gun out of his hand and said something all cool like, "That isn't the way we do things." Sword fighting ensued. Was that considered to be against The Rules?

I also remember an ep with an Immortal who used dogs to subdue other Immortals and soften them up for a good beheading.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first episode was probably a hitman named Johnny Kaye (a play on how lots of bad guy Immortals have names that begin with the "K" sound, often nicknamed "K'Immies")whom Duncan first "found", but who never wanted to learn the rules. He just watched a couple pirate movies, and was an easy kill for Duncan. The other possibility is Xavier St. Cloud, who upon his second appearance joined forces with the renegade Watcher Horton and used a couple of mercenaries to kill his victims with machine guns before he beheaded them. Neither was strictly against the rules - though the latter can be interpreted as a violation of the "one on one" rule.

"Oh, look, an Immortal riddled with bullets. Hell, *I* didn't do it - dibs!"

There've been at least three additional instances where Immortals first threaten to shoot Duncan, then gladly drop their guns and pull out the pointy sticks. There have also been instances of Immortals ganging up on a victim - there was the Immortal Gavriel Larca, who went around masquerading as "God" and recruiting new Immortals by feigning responsibility for their "resurrection" as Angels of the Lord. They didn't know any better, and ended up going around killing Immortals and letting "God" take their heads. It seems that except for the holy ground rule, everything else is really just tradition.

According to the Watchers, the only recorded instance of Immortals fighting on holy ground ocurred in the city of Pompeii around 79 A.D. . I question how you can record the fight given what happened, and there's no solid proof that it was a result of Immortal combat, but hey... According to Joe, it's only a legend.

Mark

PS - The dog trainer guy was Peter Kanis, who had an instinctive affinity with dogs in a basically telepathic way. There have been rare instances of Immortals who have non-standard abilities, like a guy who could project his dreams into other Immortals, or a guy who could use his voice to disorient victims. It also works detrimentally though - there was Kit O'Brady, an Immortal who sensed other Immies not by the "buzz" sensory sound effect, but by his allergies. He sneezed whenever another one came by!

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy with the dogs was pretty lame: as was McCloud's method of dealing with them.
He bought a bitch in heat and those "highly trained" rottwilders suddenly forget their commands to get laid.

Er.....no.

The thing that's silly about all the immortals with the "special powers" is that they rely on them to the point where they are easily killed once their schtick is dealt with.

The guy with the Voice was sorta intresting- except after a few hundred years, you'd think he might have fought a deaf guy somewhere.....

Too bad there was never a real threat to Mac: someone that was just waaaay better with a blade that Mac had to run for his life.
They could've done a whole bunch of episodes with mac traveling and trying to become a better fighter....

It's pretty silly to think that Mac kills an immortal every few weeks (at least 9-10 a year!)and not only gets away with it (forensics in Paris must be waaaay behind the US!) but is not so powerful that he's not walking on water.

On a side note, it would have been funny if adrian Paul had a seizure during one of the "quickening scenes": who would know? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember scene involving Quickening seizures that was kind of cool. Richie was getting his butt stomped and Mac couldn't interfere because of The Rules. Richie, down on his knees says, "Go ahead and kill me. Mac is going to be right over there waiting to take care of you when my Quickening knocks you on your ass." Or something like that. I always thought that was funny.

Speaking of Quickening, do they ever explain for sure how the Quickening knows which Immortal to go to? Or is it just assumed that it's the closest one? There's an ep where a bunch of Watchers capture a husband and wife Immortal couple. They tie one of them to a tree and behead them. The other one gets the first one's Quickening even though he didn't actually kill her. What if noone kills the Immortal... if, like, a tree falls on them and it plucks their head head clean off? Does it just go to the nearest Immortal?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I counted once. In the six-year run of the series, Duncan beheaded around 80 Immortals, which according to his tally in "Endgame" was around half his known total.

I too got annoyed that Duncan always defeated the bad guys. I mean, as the hero in a life-and-death fight, you kinda HAVE to win, but by the third or fourth season it was looking a little too easy. There was only one time that he was REALLY worried about losing, in the first-season fight with Grayson. But yeah, I was hoping that just ONCE he'd fight and lose, and have to run away.

The ACTUAL consequences of absorbing all those quickenings aren't always evident. But after 170+ heads, I'd say Duncan is powerful enough to make it look easy. Dramatically though, it gets pretty repetitive.

Never heard of a deaf Immortal (no pun intended), or a blind one for that matter. Immortals seem to be born, or found, without any major defects. It's perfectly reasonable to figure that at SOME point in history someone permenantly blew out his ears or was stabbed in the eyes by toothpicks before they "truly" became Immortal, but we've yet to run into one. One would figure though that they'd still be at a disadvantage, unless they had some of those rare extra powers to make up for it.

As for forensics, the writers themselves were told not to worry about it, and to count it as part of the suspension of disbelief required for a show like this. Like the prevalence of English throughout the Stargate universe, it'd take up too much of a 45-minute show if they spent time every epsiode wondering what's going on with all the headless bodies turning up. They only once referred to a dead guy found in a previous episode (Slan Quince from the pilot), but since then it's basically ignored. Most assume that the victor in most cases would clean up the body out of respect, or at least desire to avoid getting caught. Duncan has been seen carrying off headless corpses on more than one occasion.

Mark

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>Immortals seem to be born, or found, without any >>major defects.

Well, that isn't true. Remember the episode "The Innocent", where Richie found a mentally retarded Immortal named Mickey?

>>Duncan has been seen carrying off headless >>corpses on more than one occasion.

Um. I don't think he has, at least, not as I can remember.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I mean, as the hero in a life-and-death fight, you kinda HAVE to win, but by the third or fourth season it was looking a little too easy. There was only one time that he was REALLY worried about losing, in the first-season fight with Grayson. But yeah, I was hoping that just ONCE he'd fight and lose, and have to run away.
Well, I would say that MacLeod was worried about going against Kalas, eager to, yes, but worried - remember, if he hadn't dropped from the catwalk, Kalas would've had him in "Song of the Executioner", and Kalas would probably have had him in the flashback from "Methos" if MacLeod hadn't slashed his throat. Also, let's not forget that Methos didn't think MacLeod could defeat Kalas, so he called the police to intervene in their sword-fight, also in "Methos", although true enough - after killing Fitzcairn, Kalas is the one who ran away in "Star-Crossed." I guess the only thing to explain Kalas' lack-luster skills in "Finale" were that he'd spent three months locked away in a prison cell, unable to practice with a blade.

MacLeod also threw himself off a bridge in Revalations 6:8 to avoid being killed by what's-his-name with an axe. Of course, it can be argued that Mac was about to be incapaciated by "scarface's" quickening. And then, of course, in the previous episode, Methos again intervened in Mac's fight with Kronos by starting a fire.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

1. Whoops, you're right. Mikey Bellows was a mentally handicapped person who was basically "mercy killed" by the end of the show, which was what that week's baddie was trying to do anyway. [Frown]

[Which reminds me a bit of one of the few good Highlander fanfics I've read, involving Duncan mercy-killing a week-old Immortal]

2. In "the Innocent", he carried off a 10-ish year old decapitated Immortal who was killed by another Immortal OR a cannonball offscreen; in "The Valkyrie" he carried off the body of Ingrid Henning after he calls her bluff that he wouldn't kill an unarmed woman (who was about to blow up a white supremecist rally).

3. Kalas killed the hapless Auberon right after he broke out of prison, so he'd had a recent Quickening to drive him on. Also, IMO Kalas' fighting skills were some of the best seen on the show, so while the "Finale" fight was less than a minute long, it was one of the best, involving both sides getting injured and hurt.

There's one time that Macleod was genuine worried about losing - or at least that lots of people were worried about him losing - to Steven Keane, out on the warpath for revenge when Macleod killed Sean Burns. Keane really wasn't much of a fighter, which is why most audiences were confused as to why everyone was so worried.

This isn't to say that much of the time Duncan *isn't* always putting his best foot forward when he faces another Immortal, but sometimes you just have to wonder that the constant easy victories aren't making him a bit soft.

Mark

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I remember scene involving Quickening seizures that was kind of cool. Richie was getting his butt stomped and Mac couldn't interfere because of The Rules. Richie, down on his knees says, "Go ahead and kill me. Mac is going to be right over there waiting to take care of you when my Quickening knocks you on your ass." Or something like that. I always thought that was funny.

Close. In "Testimony" Richie was actually being held hostage in a recurring cliche (which thankfully happened less after he become Immortal, this being an example). Richie was tied up as insurance to keep Duncan away, but when Duncan finds Kristov's hideout anyway, Kristov goes for Richie's head. Hence:

http://www.pedmonds.force9.co.uk/richie.html

quote:
Speaking of Quickening, do they ever explain for sure how the Quickening knows which Immortal to go to? Or is it just assumed that it's the closest one? There's an ep where a bunch of Watchers capture a husband and wife Immortal couple. They tie one of them to a tree and behead them. The other one gets the first one's Quickening even though he didn't actually kill her. What if noone kills the Immortal... if, like, a tree falls on them and it plucks their head head clean off? Does it just go to the nearest Immortal? [/qb]
It generally goes to the nearest Immortal - there may be the occasional slipup, but I believe that's the series rule.

When an Immortal dies and no other is around, it's usually said that their essence is lost forever. There is no definite range, but most believe that it's just gone. When Fitzcairn is caught and about to be guillotined, he rants on about how all he knows and is will be lost because no other Immortal is near.

And in an episode of The Raven, Morgan Kenworthy is quite implausibly behaeded by falling glass. Amanda is outside the building where this happens - while there is all the lightning and stuff, she doesn't get it. Later on in the show, Wolfe beheads a guy just as Amanda gets there, and she does get it.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd sure give it to her...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Maybe they have to be within "sensing distance" of the other Immortal. Being outside the building, Amanda was probably too far away for the guy who lost his head to sense her. But in the second case you mentioned, he probably could have.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Unfortunately, sensing range is just as variable as Quickening range. As another effect dictated by the needs of the story, Immortals have been shown sensing each other from a block or two away or more, or when they're about to walk into the room, or when they turn a corner and bump into each other. It varies even with the same Immortals, so it's not just a matter of different pairs of Immortals having different ranges.

When Duncan killed Caspian, he immediately jumped off the bridge they were on and fell quite some ways. The lightning and stuff followed and continued hitting him, even though Silas was then the closest Immortal (and directly in the path of the lightning, no less). So, at least we know that when a "connection" is made between an Immortal and the body of another during the Quickening, it sticks and doesn't transfer.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'd be willing to except that the Quickening "knows" who took the head and forms a connection with that person, if it was another Immortal who actually beheaded the donor. I guess the question mark is still who gets it if someone or something else does the chopping. But that question seems to be pretty well covered, if not directly than at least by implication.

Having it actually expained in dialogue would be pretty akward. I'm sure the Immortals know how it works... they don't really need to explain it to each other.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Actually, there seems to be an in-built aversion to figuring out HOW it works, or they intuitively know it worthless. Again in "Testimony", Anne starts going into trying how to figure it out with some blood tests or cultures or whatever, and Duncan tells her it won't matter.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps