Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » RTOK:SE- Finally out! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: RTOK:SE- Finally out!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought it at Best Buy for $23!
I'm about to watch it now in glorious surround-sound but I have already seen the behind the secenes disk- the Mouth Of Saorun is damn creepy.

I'll review it for you all later tonight.
For now: Popcorn time! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard its a whole hour longer than the theatrical release...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fucking awesome.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I preordered mine on Amazon and it arrived in the mail 2 days ago. I've been sitting on my hands resisting the urge to watch it until I can have friends over and do the whole trilogy of EEs at once. It'll be a glorious day full of beer and pizza culminating in the spanktastic viewing of RotK, which I've not seen since I saw it in the theater.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bought it two weeks ago, won't be seeing it until January, a pact with my two friends, until our schedules finally catch up.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All extended editions in one day? That'd take like 11 hours. Do you have 11 hours worth of beer... cause if you do I'll head right over. Break out the keg.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gang watched the EEs of the first two movies before heading to the theatre for the third... We barely survived, and we swore NEVER to do that again.

They're awesome movies, but as Jackson said, the EEs are not meant for one-sitting viewings as the theatrical version was. You're supposed to take your time with them, take breaks, digest all the coolness. We're gonna watch the ROTK:EE soon ourselves, but we're prescribing a break for the disc change. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll take a break between disks sure. Get up, stretch, pee, put another pizza in the oven.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm. Pizza.

There were those theatrical showings where they'd run the EE of the first two films before showing the third. In theater seats? Sheesh. At least in my living room there's a pause button and no sweaty-palmed dweebs with iffy facial hair whooping it up at all the wrong moments. Well, I mean other than myself.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So....I did not get around to watching it at all: I got called to shoot some pool and just could not handle four hours of movie at 2am.

Monday night probably: if only to see the Mouth of Sauron part.
As I only saw the movie one time (in the theatres), I'll be pressed to find all the extras.

In the books, cant Shelob speak?
She sure does in The Hobbit.
In the theactrical version, she's just a biiiig spider (with some modifications to the "face" to imply intelligence).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She isn't in "The Hobbit", those are small (!) 5-foot spiders that are most certainly offspring of hers.
Shelob had been staying in the mountain passes between Cirith Ungol and the Black Gate for several thousands of years, as she was already there when Sauron settled in Mordor and started building his fortress.

Those smaller spiders do have a mouth on them, and Shelob's ancestor Ungoliant in the "Silmarillion" also communicated, but it seems Shelob was too feral and down to business for that. The book described a lot of her thoughts and reactions, but no spoken words.

Maybe she'd learned that chatting with your prey and listening to flattery and explaining your well-laid plans had gotten creatures like her killed on more than one occasion.

See? Development in criminal psychology! That book works on so many levels.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Thanks for clearing that up!
I've never read the ROTK books so I'm at a loss as to what is subtly altered and what is given over to poetic liscence.

In thte ROTK extras, there is a nice bit on how they made Shelob and how Peter Jackson has a fear of spiders....some real thought went into designing her face to be not mindless but not too human either.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
quote:
I preordered mine on Amazon and it arrived in the mail 2 days ago. I've been sitting on my hands resisting the urge to watch it until I can have friends over and do the whole trilogy of EEs at once. It'll be a glorious day full of beer and pizza culminating in the spanktastic viewing of RotK, which I've not seen since I saw it in the theater.
You have more self-control than I do. Our marathon is a week from today, but I've already popped the disks in. Haven't watched all of it, just a few choice moments.

I have to say, though, that I was really disappointed with the Mouth of Sauron. And not a little grossed out. I never thought I'd say Rankin and Bass did it better, but here they did. [Frown]

Marian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I watched the SE last night: VERY worthwhile!

Most of the added scenes seem to be on disk one, including the deaths of Sauroman and Lon Suder.

$$$$$SPOILERS$$$$$

There's a great scene where Aragorn, Legolias and Gimli are almost buried in an avalanche of skulls (in the realm of the dead).
Some of the skulls look waaay to large though. (if you notice such things).

The "Mouth of Sauron" looks so much like the mascot from Megadeth that I had to laugh.
From the syntax he uses, he's more of a messenger than an incarnation of Sauron.

I had heard there was additional footage of what happened to the main charcaters, but there is nothing past Sam returning home to his family.

Watching the movie again, I wonder if Sam's wounds to Shelob were not fatal.
Looked like Sammy kicked her ass handily.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

Jaze:
quote:
I've never read the ROTK books so I'm at a loss as to what is subtly altered and what is given over to poetic liscence.
You paved your way through four of the books and then forgot to read the climax? HAVE YOU THE BRAINWORMS???

quote:
From the syntax he uses, he's more of a messenger than an incarnation of Sauron.
Yes, messenger and planned deputy ruler of the West for Sauron, with his seat in Orthanc.

About Shelob, the wound was the worst she'd ever received in her life (in the book Sting gets plunged to the hilt in her bloated hindbody underside, imagine that if you will) but of her final fate this story doesn't tell, nor any other.

I'm thinking of watching the ROTK:EE alone, as the books and the other EEs have been a most personal journey for me.

I feel reluctant to watch it, I must say.
As long as I haven't watched it, I still have something left of the story to explore. It's like a death row inmate, not wanting to take that last bite of his last meal, hoping vainly that they won't kill him yet if he waits (now this is laying it on thick).

I think I will do it on Monday. Stock up on popcorn, christmas-must and hankies.

If only so I can tell my friends "This is a new shot", like a total knowitall slut, in our future viewings. *sniph*

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps