Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » RTOK:SE- Finally out! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: RTOK:SE- Finally out!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In only ever read the Hobbitt (and that was years ago).
Sam does indeed "plunge sting to the hilt in her bloated hindbody underside".
Sound kinky if you think of the singer "Sting".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
She isn't in "The Hobbit", those are small (!) 5-foot spiders that are most certainly offspring of hers.
Shelob had been staying in the mountain passes between Cirith Ungol and the Black Gate for several thousands of years, as she was already there when Sauron settled in Mordor and started building his fortress.

Those smaller spiders do have a mouth on them, and Shelob's ancestor Ungoliant in the "Silmarillion" also communicated, but it seems Shelob was too feral and down to business for that. The book described a lot of her thoughts and reactions, but no spoken words.

I'm sure she can some-how communicate - as Gollum made a deal with her didn't he?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have all three extended editions. I have yet to watch them (I got each one when it came out). I'm waiting for the right time and place to sit, watch and absorb their awesomeness! [Smile]

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$poiler$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So, I finally watched the EE. There were some really terrific additions and, as in previous EEs, I felt the whole filmed flowed much more smoothly. The Mouth Of Sauron was quite memorable. (Did we all know that was the gyrocopter pilot from the Mad Max movies with some digital manipulation to expand those gums?) Plumbing the depths of Denethor's madness, making the Witch King even more menacing--all great stuff. However... I really didn't like the ghost army taking the mercenaries' ships. That tension of "wherethefuck are those guys?" Worked SO well in the theatrical version. For my ducats it would have been fine to cut right after you see Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas's reactions to seeing the boats sailing up-river. But then I'm a lonely graphic designer living in a leaking and chilly, windowless warehouse in San Jose and not at all an international suparstar director with a dozen Oscars tucked into my belt.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, I thought the sole thing in the entire trilogy that was handled poorly was the "ghost army".
For time's sake, they zip around and look like nothing more than a green roller-coaster, cleanly dispatching all Sauron's forces in the background.

It could have been far more dramatic (and less silly) to show them mowing through Sauron's army (and the recation of his army to this unstoppable threat).

I'm almost certainly in the minority though. (I usually am)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Actually - I thought they overdid the Army of the Dead - but I see why they used it as they did - they needed to hurry up the story line. I certainly would have loved to have seen Aragorn and the Grey Company gathering forces in the southern regions of Gondor and meeting Prince Imrahil with the Army a silent shadow behind them. Then taking out the black ships (where they are then let go) then this great force of Gondorians from the souther regions of the Kingdom that should have been gathered by Denethor would have marched apon the enemy at the fields of Pelennor. Alas it wasn't to happen like that. I at least would have liked to have seen Prince Imrahil who had both Elven and N�menorean blood.

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've totally blanked Imrahil. I REALLY need to re-read those books. Perhaps that could be one of my New Years Resolutions.

As an aside, I've just learned that many of the Mercenaries in the corsair fleet were the filmmakers in cameo (totally didn't recognize them). Maybe it bothers me less now, knowing that.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AndreR: They did think of Imrahil, they had his banner visible in the coronation at the end. It's the white swan on blue background.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

They did - cool. Would have been nice to see them all meet up in the middle of the battlefield.

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like the Army of the Dead either. If I had been in Peter Jackson's shoes--okay, hairy feet--I would have left them out entirely in favour of the southern men and Aragorn's ranger friends from the north. Because the Dead were unstoppable, they made victory assured no matter what else happened, and that cheapened the heroism and sacrifice of the Men who fought. Heck, the Rohorrim might as well have stayed home.

Marian

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's really more of a grievance you'd have to take up with Tolkien...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps