Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA "The Brotherhood" (Spoilers)

Author Topic: SGA "The Brotherhood" (Spoilers)
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another straightforward, but reasonably entertaining episode, which starts us on our collsion course with the Wraith as our season finale.

-Yay, a fully charged ZPM! But of course, it's snatched from our fingers at the last moment and hidden again. This is too important a plot device to abandon; the new yaya Brotherhood will doubtless show up again when they need it. I still hold out hope that Atlantis will be able to move from its current home at some point, and that while the writers probably aren't planning as much, it's fun to know that they might be able to do just that as an option in the future.

-The Genii are far from forgotten either; Robert Davi is back as Kolya (with a spiffy new Zorro-esque look) with a bunch more goons and a need for the ZPM, even through the Genii can't really use it.

-The Puddle Jumpers are far from invulnerable, as we see one blown away with a single shot from the Wraith dart scouter. The pilot was Markham, unseen in this episode but known previously as a gene-inbued pilot from "38 Minutes" et. al. The other PJs were flown by Stackhouse (also unseen but previously known with Markham) and Dr. Beckett, complaining the whole time that he wasn't a pilot.

-Odd; aren't there other pilots in the crew, and wouldn't they have been given the gene therapy treatment if there were? If not, that means that besides Sheppard and Stackhouse, Atlantis is pretty short of qualified pilots.

-We've been told in the pilot that if there were any other ZPMs on Atlantis, they'd have been able to detect them. So why can't they just find a fully-charged ZPM that was right in front of them for much of the episode? If it's because it was "off", could there not be spares right at home? Maybe it's a matter of having the right equipment in the first place - but then, why wouldn't they have that equipment with them WHEN THEY'RE LOOKING FOR ONE?

-The Wraith hive ships are due in-system in about two weeks, just enough time for the expedition to send a message home and for Teyla to get crazy. If they're two weeks away (by the clock of the new deep-space sensors they quite conveniently discovered this episode), just how fast are they moving? It must be some form of FTL, but it can't be the hyperspace we know and love from our home galaxy, can it?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen the ep, but what if the equipment to detect ZPMs is integrated into Atlantis?

And it could be the same hyperspace. I mean, everyone in Trek has about the same warp drive. If there's only one way to do FTL by the physics of a given fictional universe, you can assume any FTL-capable race you run into must have it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "same", it's the similar distinction as having the various slipstream / transwarp / wormhole / coaxial / whatever drives in Trek. It moves FTL, just in a different way. What I mean to say is that Goa'uld hyperspace seems pretty darned fast compared to the Wraith. Even the piddly cargo ships can traverse quite some distance in a reasonable amount of time. Of course, the Asgard would be an order of magnitude above that.

But the Wraith, going from here to there in two weeks? Unless they're REALLY far away (relatively speaking) and/or the Lantean sensors can cover a considerable chunk of real estate (which admittedly is possible), Wraith FTL is probably a fair bit slower than what we know back home. That, or the enormous hive ships just can't go very fast.

And on a related note, this is at least the second episode that they refer to the Ancients by their proper species name, "Lanteans". See "The Lost City" again to know where the "At" got to. [Smile] Also, this is the first time they confirm that the Pegasus galaxy stargates only have 36 symbols (matching the puddle jumper DHD and presumably the standard ones too) instead of the 39 we see in the Milky Way and Othalla galaxies.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Othalla galaxie - you mean where the Asgard are from?

I didn't realise they were named the 'Lanteans'! Must have missed that in The Lost City - I'm gathering it's a Daniel spiel? [Big Grin]

I've just finished watching "Before I Sleep" - which I've had on my computer for a bit - but I've been pacing myself) and "The Brotherhood".

Boy, they were both fantabulous episodes! Really fantastic. When the jumper blew up I too was like "oooh shit!".

Carson is great still.

I really really loved "Before I Sleep" too. Would this be the first time travel episode out of Stargate, Atlantis and all the Treks that has made sense, or at least remained within scientific possibility - (you know what I mean).

With the whole going back in time has changed the future - but it has happened already - since it's taken from the point of view of the changed timeline etc.

Great stuff. I can't wait for the next 4 episodes - only 4 to go! *sniff*! [Big Grin]

I love the whole cast - and Teyla's character has settled down (she's actually quite a bad ass - well I suppose she IS the LEADER of her people). Even Ford is getting his own 'personality'.

Dr. Beckett's "I'm a doctor not a fighter pilot!" was great too. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps