Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Is anybody else looking forward to the new dr who ? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is anybody else looking forward to the new dr who ?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Dalek looks just a little bit too exactly the same as the old ones, just in a new colour scheme. I'd have expected them to look a bit more hi-tech, even if they were showing "old" ones. 10 years and a substantiously increaded budget should have allowed for that.

As for Troughton's final Dalek story, was that the one with the "human factor" thing in? There was a bit in the first Pertwee Dalek story where they confront him and say that they hunted down the infected Daleks and exterminated them, but it was cut out for timing reasons. So I dislike calling it the last episode for that reason if nothing else. (Plus the fact that the Daleks are so different Before and After Davros that it's quite easy to support the "two histories" theory.)

quote:
Originally posted by Neutron_Bomb:
Perhaps this was the infamous 'Supreme Dalek'?

The Supreme Dalek was definitely seen a couple of times, and possibly seen a few more (they were slightly inconsistent with the names in some episodes). The Dalek Surpeme was normally seen as being larger than the other Daleks and black.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Neutron_Bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the Tardis?
what would people what to see in the new control room design?
I know they intend to keep the idea of having a large room with controls in the center but i have also heard that the new design will be 'Organic'.
They always hinted toward the tardis having a mind of its own , so I wonder if they are going to make it a part living entity , a bit like Farscapes moya perhaps?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I abolutely adored the look of the Tardis in the Telemovie - it was awesome - very stylish.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think almost everyone who wasn't an idiot loved the look of the TARDIS in the TV movie. It nicely updated the original "shock" of the vessel (it's bigger on the inside than the outside!) for us more SFX-cynical people (it can travel through time and yet it looks really old fashioned and it's bigger on the inside than the outside!).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't a fan of the TV movie's addition of so MANY old things though, including the use of a 1950s television as the main monitor. The production designer IMO tried a little TOO hard for the Jules Verne look the producers wanted, and I personally would have preferred a more alien, timeless approach than the 19th-century Victorian thing. Aside from the main console and support girders (which I liked), the rest of the set looked like a big old library.

The new series set, which has yet to be glimpsed by anyone willing to leak a picture (and incur the wrath of lawyers) returns to the alien stylings but with an organic, coral-like approach. The circular roundels are back on the walls, and the column stretches right to the ceiling.

If you want to sign on to outpostgallifrey.net's forums, in the spoilers section you'll find a variety of descriptions and excellent fan sketches that guess at what the console room looks like. If you can deal with the Whovian fan's tendency to OVERANALYZE EVERY SINGLE DETAIL, it's a fun look at how people will be let down when the show ultimately comes out. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
If you can deal with the Whovian fan's tendency to OVERANALYZE EVERY SINGLE DETAIL

Didn't think I'd ever see that remark on this board.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, laugh it off - what we do here is a drop in the bucket compared to how anal and overanalyical those guys are. Regarding this new show, they've got threads that are hundreds of posts long EACH concerning the size of the new TARDIS prop, what the new sonic screwdriver can do, what those Dalek bumps actually do, the length of the Doctor's hair compared to that of his predecessors (and what that means for his personality and actions in a given episode)... Dunno about you guys, but while our level of compulsion for tech stuff is admittedly wierd but tolerable, we hardly match the stereotype of Comic Book Guy or everyone in the "Get a Life" audience. These guys do - every one of them.

And the hardcores - thousands of aged, vocal fans - have spent the past seventeen years analyzing a dead show, and nurturing their expectations for the good Doctor's return. I fear rioting when the new show comes out, regardless of how good it may be.

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they get 100 tacos for $100 to sustain them through their Dr. Who marathons?

--------------------

Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Neutron_Bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree they tend to take things a little far. I could not even get on to that particular forum as apperently I did not have the 'right kind' of email address (and I had ten for them to choose from!)
Sad people!

Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

Er..I didn't sound to bitter just then I hope?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how long it will be before they bring in The Master or Omega or some other rogue TImelord?

It'd be intresting to actually see one become rogue after following The Doctor's example.
Mabye some evil female Timelord...

An aquaintance of mine is building (on comission) a 3/4 scale Tardis prop as some rich floridian's changing room for a pool.
It's cool to see Tardis parts all over his workshop.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Some pre-release material earmarks the Doctor as "the last of the Timelords". If this is true, then it may fit in with the Doctor Who novel universe, where the eighth Doctor is responsible for... Ehh, too many spoilers. Find out yourself. [Smile]

As for rogue female Timelords, we've got the Rani who was featured in two stories as a rogue Gallifreyan chemist with no scruples or morals. She was meant as a replacement for the Master, but it didn't quite work out that way. But hey, we don't know on which regeneration she was, so a sexy new incarnation of the Rani would fit in easily. Unlike the Master, who could have been on up to his 17th incarnation, depending on how you saw it.

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

So exactly what defines a "Timelord"? Is everyone on Gallifrey considered a "Timelord"? Are only the best considered such, are they a rare thing - maybe akin to an Istari (Wizard) in Middle Earth?

I did see bits of "Trial of a Timelord" - and there were lots wearing that funky 'head-dress' - which I liked - except for that whipy little white one the woman was wearing. But the Colin Baker years were kinda boring - and he's kinda annoying. Were they all Timelords?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

They would ahve all been Timelords, yes. But I think there are some Tom Baker episodes which state that there is a population on Gallifrey which aren't Timelords. Proles, if you will. Almost every Gallifreyan seen in the series (especially if they are dressed appallingly) is a Timelord, though.

As to what defines it...I'm not sure. I'd suggest that only Timelords can regenerate and that the general population on Gallifrey can't, but that's just theory not backed up by anything.

Colin Baker was maybe annoying, but he wasn't boring. The problem was that he was very badly written. An acid tongued Doctor was a great contrast to Davison's more mellow (or wet, if you want to be harsh) incarnation, but they had a tendency to just make him a bit of a bitch. And his costume was easily the worst of the lot.

--------------------

Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

I think they should do an episode like the st:ds9 one with the tribbles i.e new characters intercut with an old episode. Seeing the new doc back in london during the Dalek invasion would be pretty cool.
+ I agree colin baker's doctor was very poorly written .But if you read any 6th doctor novels or listen to the audio stuff , those guy have done wonders for the character.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps