Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Is anybody else looking forward to the new dr who ? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is anybody else looking forward to the new dr who ?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also as for rogue Time Ladies (not necessarily bad guys, though), there's Romana. Granted, she was left in E-space, but apparently the novels and/or audio adventures brought her back and made her Lord High President. And, from what I hear, she became a bit evil herself. But, regardless, if they can bring her out of E-space, so could the series.

Also, Susan is presumably still out there somewhere. It'd be neat if they brought her back in a regeneration that looks older than the new Doctor, but make a sort of joke of her calling him "grandfather".

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dax! [Smile]

Other rogue Timelords that are possibly still out there include Drax, K'anpo and the Meddling Monk. Deceased Gallifreyans who had "retired" from Time Lord status included Chronotis and Azmael.

For an absurdly complete series production guide, try this:

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/tv.html

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It feels really strange to read all this, given I was hiding behind the sofa during Dr. Who before many of you were born. And that may be a clich�, watching it from behind the sofa, but I really did. I still loved the show, no matter how scary I found it. . . but following it was hard, given the many years of the seventies I spent abroad; and in the 80's, more time abroad, combined with the draconian bedtimes of a boarding school, exacerbated by the disastrous change to Colin Baker, brought my interest to a close. I got over my sense of outrage when they replaced Jon Pertwee with Tom Baker (yes, I'm old enough to remember the third Doctor, sad, huh?) and came to love the latter as my favourite Doctor; Peter Davison was OK though. So I know virtually nothing about the show's mythology behind the basics. Russell Davies is a fan and I bet he's done his research, but I hope the new series will take account of us old-school viewers who can't do much better than remember the difference between Daleks and Cybermen.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And his costume was easily the worst of the lot.

Yeah - it was very 'eighties'. All that pink and yellow and the patches. He might as well have had pink feather hair clips or a thin black leather tie! [Big Grin]

So just going back to the "Timelord" bit - did all Timelords have some sort of temporal perception or manipulation over time?

Was the Doctor considered a 'rouge' Timelord?

And Susan - his Granddaughter - she was a Timelord too? Through heritary? So does that mean her Mother/Father also became Timelords or can there be Timelords that don't know they are Timelords that go on living their normal lives? Or even choose not to be a Timelord - given that "Timelord" is an occupation or position or craft - instead of just a race/species name.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Was the Doctor considered a 'rouge' Timelord?"

Well, the Time Lords have a strict law of non-interference with the rest of the universe (think Prime Directive taken to complete isolationism).

The Doctor stole a TARDIS and made it his life's work to get as involved in the rest of the universe as he possibly could.

So, yeah, I'd say "rogue" is probably the nicest of the terms the Time Lords would use for him.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To ramp up our nerdery, surely the better analogy is that he is the Time Lord's Uatu?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I wouldn't know, but I looked it up, and... sure.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susan had left the series before "regeneration", "Gallifrey" and "Time Lord" were even thought up, much less mentioned. So whether she is actually his physical "he must have children because they've had a kid themselves" grandfather, or it's a nickname for a different sort of relationship is a bit up in the air. I believe the novels go with the later idea (certainly he didn't seem to mind leaving her behind to get married on 21st century Earth, even though she would have lived several hundred years longer than her husband. Even during one regeneration Time Lords seem to have life spans of a few decades).

I remember when Davison's version met her during the 5 Doctors.

First Doctor: "And this is my granddaughter, Susan."

Fifth Doctor: "Yes, I know" (ENIGMATIC SMILE!)

The way the first Doctor said "this is MY granddaughter" always implied to me that it wasn't a family thing, but something else. On the other hand, Davison's ENIGMATIC SMILE says the reverse. So you can take it how you want, I guess.

And "Timelord" is often treated as being the name of the species in the series rather than the more logical (but more boring) "Gallifreyan".

I think the Time Lords called the Doctor everything from "rogue" to "renegade" to "maniac". "Rogue" was definitely the most common term though, with "renegade" usually being reserved for the Master and the Rani.

And Davis is a good enough fighter that he'l incorporte past canon (both real and some fan stuff) without it being fan wank "let's do this because the fans will think it's cool".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the clarification. What are you getting at with the 5th Doctor vs 1st Doctor!?! That the Susan and the First Doctor has some sort of weird sexual fetish/relationship where he liked to be referred to as "grandfather"? [Big Grin]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, not like that. Possibly more an adoption/fostering type situation. I believe that the books come up with some sort of story whereby the first Doctor rescues her from something and there was confusion and McCoy was dark and it was all terribly depressing or something. The first Doctor might feel more protective towards her because he was the incarnation that saved her. Or it might have simply been his crotechtey personality that made him think that he'd be closer to her than the other Doctors.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK, cool thanks. Just to make clear - you did KNOW I was making a joke about the fetish thing... I hope. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Neutron_Bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WARNING - SPOILERS
Here r some facts i have learned regarding what to expect in the new series.
The 1st episode will be called Rose and will feature the return of the Autons( the shop window dummy aliens).
One episode will see the doc and Rose meet with Charles Dickens.
Another ep will be set on a space station at the very end of time.
An ep will be set in london in the very distant future.
1 will be set in 1986 as Rose trys to prevent a loved ones death.
one involving zombies at albion hospital during ww2.
Mark Gatiss( league of gentleman) will continue to write for the new series and ,altough she choose not to this year , J K Rowling may write 1 episode for the show if it return for a second year.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this and more is readily available at outpostgallifrey.net . [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Neutron_Bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
All this and more is readily available at outpostgallifrey.net . [Smile]

Mark

Info has to be got from somewhere ! would you have preferred it if I had got it from a place nobody else could get it? I.e just made stuff up.
I put stuff like that on here in case others have not already seen it.
I thought I was being helpful, sorry.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Whoa, dude. I'm not disputing or belittling anything you posted. Just adding to it, in case people wanted to verify sources or get more ancillary stuff, since you didn't say where you got this info (and at which point, many people here could conclude that you DID pull those facts out of your ass).

If there's anywhere online to get the lowdown, it's OG.net.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps