Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Caprican Serenity (Spoilers - Battlestar Galactica) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Caprican Serenity (Spoilers - Battlestar Galactica)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I need someone to find some screencaps to prove me right or wrong here....

I was watching the first part of the BSG mini series today to prepare myself for the premiere on Friday. In the first 10 minutes there's an establishing shot of Caprica City, and the next scene is looking up through a glass ceiling at several buildings and ships flying overhead from within the city. There's a big obviously military ship flying left-to-right that the camera seems to follow. One of those passenger liners is further in the background. And finally, in the lower left corner, flying right-to-left, is another ship that I swear is the Serenity from Firefly. It's only on screen for a couple of seconds, but could someone else confirm this? It wouldn't really mean anything if it's true, but would be a cool Easter Egg.

B.J.

{Edit: Added spoiler warning since thread's moving that direction - Siegfried}

[ January 12, 2005, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! Answered my own question, I did. Found this picture at this website.

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There you are, then.

I watched this for the first time yesterday. It was OK. I'm not sure why "no networks" is a better idea than "sensible network security," but that's the way things go, I guess; and I probably already grumbled about it the first time around. Also, they use a lot of paper.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm not sure why "no networks" is a better idea than "sensible network security," but that's the way things go, I guess..."

Yeah, what was that little tirade about, anyway? I saw it for the first time when it aired on NBC Sunday, but I missed the first 15 minutes or so. Was there something in there that explains why the captain thinks that the computers will destroy everyone if they're allowed to transfer data to each other?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cylons have mad computer hacking skills, is the deal. Which, OK, I can see why you wouldn't want your ship rigged for wifi in such circumstances, but if the Cylons can get into the cables connecting one computer to another, then they can get inside the computers themselves just as easy, and keeping them unconnected does you no good.

Anyway, I watched part two, and it was pretty good, network security issues aside.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the discussion about the miniseries from the first time it aired on Sci-Fi: http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/8/560.html#000012

Be forewarned, though, that's eight pages long. Oh, and it has tons and tons of spoilers.

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Was there something in there that explains why the captain thinks that the computers will destroy everyone if they're allowed to transfer data to each other?

I was initially going to say that wasn't an explanation given, but I'm waffling on that answer now. I suppose that if there were an explanation, it was just a very generalized "things can easily spread" answer. I don't recall the exact reasons for his paranoia being explained.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not have been explained word for word, but it was kinda obvious from the events of the miniseries why he had such a problem with it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Neutron_Bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
over here in the uk we are up to about ep13,( or somthing like that) and this series just gets better and better.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Ron Moore has a Battlestar Galactica blog up over at the Sci-Fi Channel's website.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From that link...

quote:
A deeper truth is, I was never interested in coming up with an explanation for Why? Never. I mean, I suppose I could've come up with a sufficiently important-sounding bit of technobabble that would've made sense (you see, the Cylon double-talk sensors tracking the Olympic Carrier's nonsense drive signature needed 15 minutes to relay the made-up data wave through the pretend continuum, then the Cylon navigational hyper silly system needed another 10 minutes to recalculate the flux capacitor, etc.) but what would that have really added to the drama? How does explaining that 33 minute interval help our understanding of Laura's terrible moment of decision, or bring us to any greater knowledge of Dualla's search for her missing family and friends, or yield insight into Baltar's morally shattered psyche?
Learned much from his time on Star Trek, this man has.

I actually just got a hold of the Generations DVD the other week and listening to Moore's commentary showed just how much he'd learnt since. The man was scathing in his criticism of his own writing, which in my experience is very rare in the movie/TV business. He's defiantly the right man to helm BSG.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give the new series a chance (as someone's theory on Baltar has me intrigued) but the miniseries was pretty lame.

Nothing in it made me think these people come from an advanced culture (or even had a culture of their own at all!) and the characters were wholly unlikable (aside from *possibly* Tigh, who, it seems was made white for no real reason at all).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

"He's defiantly the right man to helm BSG."

Indeed.

('Cause, you know. Zing!)

Moore and Braga have a joint commentary for First Contact, which I was looking forward to. I didn't realize Moore had one for Generations too.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Jason, I suggest you watch that special (Lowdown on BSG or something). They never meant it to be an advanced culture. They specifically say it's a drama about us. It just happens to be set in space.

Oh, and the production graphics after the ending credits of "Water" were hilarious. Moore gets knocked silly with a baseball bat!

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's even harder to watch if they are NOT supposed to be advanced.
Fuck man, if I want the EXACT same military-drama crap, I'll watch JAG.
At least there I can ogle Catherine Bell! [Big Grin]

How can you NOT be "advanced" when you've had FTL travel for years and years....?

I think I'll go buy the Firefly DVD set instead (as I've not seen a single episode of that!)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

(Whatever its sins, this new Battlestar Galactica does not seem to be lacking in the area of. . . I can't think of a non-creepily sexist way to say it. Anyway, there are some totally hawt chix.)

I can't imagine your reaction to Firefly's set of cultural oddities.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps