Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Caprican Serenity (Spoilers - Battlestar Galactica) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Caprican Serenity (Spoilers - Battlestar Galactica)
Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Neutron_Bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This really annoys me about you lot in the states. Galactica is a great new series that is both fresh and enjoyable to watch. But you guys are gonna get it canceled aren't you? You would be surprised how often this happens to great ( or at least promising) shows.Dark angel anyone? A lot of these shows did okay over here in the uk , but the networks you have don't care what we are watching , only what programme it is that you lot are moaning about.
Goodbye galatica , I was just getting to know you.
now I guess I never will.

message to ron moore , give up on the states and come over the pond to make galactica. There would be little to no budget but at least we'd enjoy it and the show might even survive. I mean lets face it its not there faults , they just don't have the attention span these days for complex shows( hence sg-1 does so well, i like it too but come on my, 3yr old gets it!), after all , its this lot that murdered Angel. Don't become just another great show that the yanks lost intrest in!

P.s god bless usa. ( I love you guys I just dont like the way youtreat your shows!)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incoherent but heartfelt. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come on. Dark Angel? Did you even watch the second season of that show? Yeah, the first season rocked and showed lots of promise. Yeah, Jessica Alba is hot. But the second season with the were-creatures and what not really blew big time. And I mean "Andromeda after he took over and started running the scripts through the valley of his ass" blowing big time.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Neutron_Bomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Oh, come on. Dark Angel? Did you even watch the second season of that show? Yeah, the first season rocked and showed lots of promise. Yeah, Jessica Alba is hot. But the second season with the were-creatures and what not really blew big time. And I mean "Andromeda after he took over and started running the scripts through the valley of his ass" blowing big time.

What about Firefly then?(I almost sobbed when that was canned)+ B5 crusade , ok lame to begin with but then the origanal B5 took time to get going.
As far as your comments on Dark angel go , i totally agree that the 2nd season was crap. But it wasn't given a chance to recover.Even you admitted that its 1st season rock , therefore surely there was at least some small chance that the third would be a return to form. Buffy is a good example. Season 4 was totally lame but Season five was good.
Anyway ,I didn't mean to be so scathing in my origanal remarks as its actually more the fault of the tv execs who , lets face it , only care for numbers.
'Just give things a chance people!' [Smile]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
It's even harder to watch if they are NOT supposed to be advanced.
Fuck man, if I want the EXACT same military-drama crap, I'll watch JAG.
At least there I can ogle Catherine Bell! [Big Grin]

How can you NOT be "advanced" when you've had FTL travel for years and years....?

I think I'll go buy the Firefly DVD set instead (as I've not seen a single episode of that!)

Define "advanced"? What is this nebulous state of being that you think comes hand in hand with spaceships and striped toothpaste?
If I'm interpreting the show correctly then the 12 colonies are, or rather were a decaying culture. Seemingly more concerned with internal politics than a "trekian" need to explore the universe and expand cultural understanding. Sound like anyone we know?
That aside, if you really must justify anything, consider that this civilisation is (was) made up of colonies, so already they're a remnant of something greater that came before and I wouldn't be surprised if the "advanced" FTL drive technology is also a remnant of that time.
Even if the colonies developed the tech themselves then that still doesn't mean that everyone gets automatic enlightenment, wealth and prosperity. In the last century we, as a species have made some pretty long technological strides, but on the ground level, are we any more advanced, individually as say someone living 100, 1000 or maybe even 10,000 years ago? Are our motives or drives any more or less primitive than our ancient hunter gatherer ancestors? At least that's possibly some of the questions this series will be posing. Indeed, Baltar is the very definition of a "colonial human", by all accounts a brilliant, intelligent genius, but driven by his own self interest and appetites. While on the other hand, the Caprican Boomer is at the other end of the spectrum.

Not that I want to discourage you from Firefly. That show rocks! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can't speak for Firefly, Crusade, or Buffy, because I never watched any of them. However, there is a special place in Hell reserved for FOX solely because of Futurama.

You're not going to get any argument from me about TV network execs being idiots; however, Battlestar Galactica is being produced by a special subset of network TV execs: the cheap bastards running Sci-Fi Channel. Regardless of ratings, Battlestar Galactica could be at risk solely for its productions costs (see Farscape).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Neutron_Bomb
Member # 1471

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried

You're not going to get any argument from me about TV network execs being idiots; however, Battlestar Galactica is being produced by a special subset of network TV execs: the cheap bastards running Sci-Fi Channel. Regardless of ratings, Battlestar Galactica could be at risk solely for its productions costs (see Farscape). [/QB]

Well if it comes to that, I hope they just scale back the sfx and keep the show going. Its the strong characters and great plot that do it for me anyhow, not fancy effects.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, studies show that the visual cortex in Americans is slightly less advanced, such that without explosions we are literally incapable of discerning a broadcast signal from background noise, though you probably haven't noticed due to the complete disinterest in American media beyond our national borders.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neutron, the idea that people "just don't have the attention span these days for complex shows" is EXACTLY why we dont have any.
The TV exec's think as little of their viewing audience as you do.

If they made something complex and entertaining, they would have a loyal fan-base of people that would find such a show refreshing.
It's why (originally) the Discovery Channel did so well. (okay, bad example- that channel sucks saerious ass nowdays, but you get the general idea)

Rev, by "advanced", I dont mean morally: I refer more to their using fucking machine guns in space and not having the common sense to bolt down the large mainframes on Galactica's bridge (senseless layout there, but I'm willing to think that's a result of it's museum status).

It irks me that their culture (in the miniseries, this may have been corrected already) seems an exact match for WASP-y western civilization.
A little diversity would have been easy to do and they decided to skip it in favor of that ol' "military flavor".

i'm not saying the old series was great (FAR from it) but the people at least seemed diffrent (for the time).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that it would be nice to see some cultural diversity amongst the colonies, which has sort of been hinted at, but to be honest we don't get to see much of the general population at all, let alone what the cultural scene is onboard the various ships.

As for the weapons, technically they're rail guns. That is explosive charges that are fired into space using magnetic accelerators and spread shrapnel on detonation, which takes out the targets.

I much perfer it over laser or plasma based weapons, since it helps ground things a little. I mean do colourful CG flashy lights and synthesized sound fx really feel dangerous or threatening, or even real for that matter?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with that idea is that those "railguns" are moving real sloooow.
Barely faster than the Vipers, really (and those vipers are not exactly hauling ass either).

They could have used a simular effect to the OS and made a plausable explanation that the ordinance was charged from the railgun (or some dam thing- just not stuff that looks like WWII tracers).

With FTL tech, they should be able to just accelerate ordinance to near-luminal speeds and destroy entire basestars (if that's what they're called these days) with cannonball-sized pellets.

I'd really love to see some of the concepts from sci-fi books used in a sci-fo series instead of the tired old stuff we always see nowadays.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exploding ammo isn't really a requirement of railgunness.

I do wonder, though, what the Galactica has in the way of heavy weaponry. So far (at least on our benighted continent) the fighters have only used those cannons, which, neat though they are, don't look like they'd do much good against those basestar things. Galactica's cannons (or, again, at least those used so far) seem to be primarily defensive, putting up a screen against missiles. Does she have anything larger, or is this just a modern aircraft carrier in space?

(I don't recall what they found on that station/ammunition dump.)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nukes. They found nukes.

Although how they plan to get these to a basestar before them getting cut to ribbons is beyond me. The sheer volume of Cylon raiders those things can swarm is, er daunting. It reminds me of when I had quite a bit more time on my hands, and I would play Tie Fighter for hours hovering just outside some destroyer or frigate's range just killing wave after wave of 3 TIEs thinking that they would have to run out of them some time. Well they didn't and I always lost patience and had to stop.

I still have a stick up my ass about the whole "NO NETWORKS WHATSOEVER" thing. I'll probably still buy the miniseries DVD just to relive this particular episode of pointless geek rage.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, if you were like me and didn't have that much time on your hands, you just destroyed the mothership instead. B)

"With FTL tech, they should be able to just accelerate ordinance to near-luminal speeds..."

Not all tech can be miniaturized.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, it doesn't look like their FTL tech works that way. They don't accelerate anything, they just jump from one point in space to another.

B.J.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps