Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » have you read any of these books?

Author Topic: have you read any of these books?
paul
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see how good your memories are; I have read a lot of Sci-Fi in my time and have hung on to most of it, however there are two novels which have stuck in my mind and I would really like to read them again. The only problem is that I cannot remember the titles or the name of the authors. So, two books, here is a brief description as I remember them (and it was a LONG time ago).

1. A station is found in space, left over from some old and long dead civilization. Aboard the station are many ships each of which can be programmed (in a way not understood) to fly to a specific and distant destination. The station is populated by treasure hunters who use the ships to fly to exciting new places and rob them. Many do not return or return dead.
2. On a desert planet far from Earth there exist a place which is rich in archeological treasures but suffers from some kind of �Temporal Displacement� which manifests itself in the form of a wind. Those caught in such a wind find themselves shifted, not in space but time. Treasure hunters (again!) wear protective suits in an attempt to survive the storms.

And there it is. If anyone can help with titles or authors names I would be very grateful. Alternatively if you know a good place where such a question could be asked I would love to hear about it. It would be great if you could e-mail me direct at freeserve; [email protected]

All the best [Wink]

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, not ringing any bells here.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the first one. It's relatively well known, I think. But darned if I can think of the name. No idea about the second.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Book one sounds like one of the Heechee books by Frederick Pohl.

(Google)

Gateway, probably, though possibly its (first) sequel. I don't think I've read any of the others.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the idea of winds of time change does seem familiar to me, but probably only from reading the bak cover of a book. Probably also something by Pohl, or Williamson, one of the Greats. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
On a desert planet far from Earth there exist a place which is rich in archeological treasures but suffers from some kind of �Temporal Displacement� which manifests itself in the form of a wind. Those caught in such a wind find themselves shifted, not in space but time. Treasure hunters (again!) wear protective suits in an attempt to survive the storms.

Where Time Winds Blow by Richard Holderstock
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
must supress...making..."blow" ....pun..

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps