Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Hitchhikers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hitchhikers
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"there are five books, and Adams wrote a few chapters of the sixth before he died young. A real tragedy."

Well, The Salmon of Doubt was actually being written as a Dirk Gently book, but I believe he determined that the reason it wasn't working was because the story he had should really have been a Hitchhiker's Guide book. So, if he had lived, that's probably what it would have ended up being. But, the chapters that exist are about DG.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Good to hear about the mice, though the news of the HoG's spherical obsession is a bit saddening, I always pictured it as something sleek and graceful, at least from the description in the books that's what I imagined.
TPTB did experiment with ships that looked like 20-inch-heel shoes or flattened sneakers, but ultimately they decided they wanted a flying porcelain teapot. Which is sort of appropriate, considering the nature of the propulsion mechanism.

I can't believe how spot-on the main casting appears to be! Although I hear they have taken a few liberties with the backstories of both Trillian and Zaphod...

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trillian's backstory was hardly the most consistent or in-depth anyway though.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I ask again, how much of the bloody books are in the movie?
Does it go all the way up to the cricket games and Arthur's daughter? Or what?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just the first book. At the end, they go off looking for something to eat. "I hear there's a restaurant at the end of the universe." So there's actually a lot of things left unanswered, but it still works in my opinion. Gotta leave room for a sequel!

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or four.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is the general consensus that the movie is good or not? It's ranked at 7/10 over at the IMDb, but most of my friends that have seen it have been complaining about it to varying degrees.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good movie, but it's got the same curse every book made into a movie has - you can't fit everything into two hours, nor will you make everyone happy. I'd still recommend seeing it, though.

B.J.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it wasn't a book made into a movie. It was a radio show made into a book made into a TV show made into a movie made into a towel. Or something.

Panic!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reviews seem fairly evenly split.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
It's a good movie, but it's got the same curse every book made into a movie has - you can't fit everything into two hours, nor will you make everyone happy. I'd still recommend seeing it, though.

B.J.

Just what I was gonna say! As movies go, it's OK. As HHGTTG (am I the only one that hates H2G2?) it's not as good.

$$ SPOILERS $$
allbeit very mild ones.

The relationship that seems to be bubbling between Trillian and Arthur is rather cringe worthy, but I did lean towards the idea that Douglas Addams always wanted them to have more of a dynamic than we (that is all those who have heard of the Great Ursor Minor Publishing Corporation) have seen thus far.

Watch the movie. Then buy the book. Then throw the book at the neighbours cat as it creaps into your garden looking for somewhere to crap un-noticed, and listen to the radio show on CD. The BBC have now fineshed transforming the books into radio plays (doesn't quite work as well as the other way around) but it's still great.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't seen the movie yet, though I don't hope they go for the full five books. The last two get pretty random and eccentric to the extreme. Isn't at least one of the books technically thrown out of the continuit altogether? It depends on who gets eaten by the ravenous bugblatter beast of Traal...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go see the movie. Although it was hardly perfect -- as was already stated, they couldn't fit everything into two hours -- I would say that the producers ended up quite faithfully transferring Adams' vision to the cinema format. It's best to approach the movie as more of a "reimagining" by the original author in a different medium rather than a direct transposition of every detail.

For example (mild spoilers unless you've seen the trailers), the scene where the characters are getting slapped in the face by giant fly swatters is hilarious (and one of those scenes that Adams himself wrote specifically for the movie before he died) because it makes effective use of visual (dare I say "slapstick"?) humor, something that almost certainly could not have been accomplished in a textual medium.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
The BBC have now fineshed transforming the books into radio plays (doesn't quite work as well as the other way around) but it's still great.

Didn't they finish doing that back in the mid-80s? Or have they done the remaining three books?

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The older shows only handled the first two books. Sorta.

They aired the 6-part radio version of book 3 (or in their words, The Tertiary Phase) last summer and they've aired two episodes of the remaining two books which have been adapted to an 8-part batch, IIRC.

Of course these shows have to fit the continuity of the books a bit better since they don't have Douglas Adams around and they would be harder books to adapt anyways, but I'm still quite enjoying it.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps