Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Andromeda Coda (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Andromeda Coda
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, kinda surprised that this has not been brought up, but with the end of Andromeda it seems that the original head writer/producer/whatever who was kicked off the show halfway through season two has written a short piece on what was supposed to happen, if the show had not become a Kevin Sorbo action show for kids...moreso.

Anyways, here's the link:
http://www.rhwolfe.com/Insider%20Info.htm

Quick views: Looks a bit like Babylon5-lite, with great fantastic struggles between good and evil, but not so much with the politics. It was good that they actually did have a plan for the mystery behind Trance, which I was pleasantly surprised about (unlike others....*cough* Future Guy *cough* Cigarette-smoking man *cough*)

I do not think I'll be losing too much sleep over what could have been in this case, but its still interesting reading if you did give Andromeda a chance a few years back and was wondering if there actually was a plan behind the mystery.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this really what Wolfe had in store for Andromeda, though? I don't see anywhere in the file that "Coda" is retelling exactly how the events were to unfold under his leadership. If it is, though, all I can say is wow. I would have much rather seen this being played out on-screen that what we got. I stopped watching Andromeda after season three, but I've tried to pop in and see what was going on every now and then. It's ashame that this path wasn't taken.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see the cancerman as being a good example of your point. We found out who he was working for, what they were doing, what his real name was and what his connection to Mulder's family was. Was all that in place before filming started? Of course not. But so what? (In his particular case, that is. I'm not trying to defend the rest of it.)
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the interviews section there's an article on this, which is just a forum thread with random questions and answers. He does go into detail about a few more things, but generally yeah that was the plan as of late season one.

Re: Cancerman, perhaps, but I just picked him as a convenient figurehead for all the conspiracy elements in THe X-Files.
For The X-Files, the mystery was a key issue, I mean the tagline of the show was "The Truth is Out There," unravelling conspiracies was a key element of the show. Making up stuff episode-by-episode completely defeats that. The ominous mystery angle was played up to such a degree that when the answers finally came, it was like a schoolboy quickly writing an essay in the lunch period before class.
So in other words, yeah, having a plan in place before filming is definitely helpful because hopefully it stops you from playing up a mystery out of proportion to how good the answer is.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there's one show that I feel bad about never giving a chance, it's not Andromeda.

The first episode (which I watched most of before turning away in boredom) featured punches with that A-Team/Hercules/Magnum P.I. "slap" sound effect. the only way a punch sounds anything like that would be if the target were wrapped in bubble wrap.

Usually that signals the onslaught of lameness, and Kevin Sorbo as the lead sealed the deal.

Lexa Doig is a hottie though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude... if that had really been the actual plan for Andromeda before things fell apart, that would have been torn apart so badly for being so derivative... but at the same time, it would've been incredibly bold and unconventional for a sci-fi television show.

*sigh* Go figure.

Anyway, isn't every single story ever written in some way boiled down to "Good Versus Evil"? The whole point of any story is conflict, and on the most basic level, the only variations are the way the Good is presented, and the way the Evil is presented.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That coda was a good read. I remember some time ago that Wolfe said he would only reveal what he had in mind for the series once it was over, but the show dragged on for so long that I forgot he would do so.

I stopped watching after Wolfe left, but picked up again at the very tail end of Season 4 because there was nothing else on during it's time slot. Unfortunately, it hadn't improved. Season 5 could have been halfway decent if every episode didn't "yadda yadda yadda" over every important plot point.

Although Earth: Final Conflict Season 5 was still much MUCH worse. To quote Gollum: It burns us!

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truly Krenim, you amaze me that you could keep the faith with such bad shows for years after they went sour just because "there was nothing else on".

Read a book! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you know, it could be that he was watching a show before it, and watching a show after it, so rather than going and doing something else for an hour he just channel surfed and found Andromeda. Happens to me all the time... Although I never picked up Andromeda again.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

kiltedbear
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for kiltedbear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still can't believe that Berman and Braga have let such talented people like Wolfe and Ron Moore get away from them. I thought Andromeda was off to a great start with some really great ideas, but I do have to agree that Wolfe's departure kind of soured me on the show, it basically became a shoot-out every week, which bored me to tears.

As for EFC, that went through so many changes from beginning to end that in the end, it hardly deserved the Roddenberry moniker attached to it

--------------------
"Sweet Jesus, do you have to use the whole can?"
-Metatron

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kiltedbear:
I still can't believe that Berman and Braga have let such talented people like Wolfe and Ron Moore get away from them.

In the case of Robert Hewitt Wolfe, he quit says he quit Deep Space Nine after the fifth season due to losing his enthusiasm for Star Trek. As for Ron Moore, well, that was just a bizarre deal. Still, one can argue that Wolfe and Moore got to their level by taking time away from Star Trek and sinking their teeth into something new.

As for Andromeda, it just quickly lost my interest when it started doing weird things like the "Interdimensional Tunnel Aliens" that featured in the Season 2 finale/Season 3 premiere. I knew the firing of Wolfe was crap, but I said I'd still give the show a chance. There were some decent episodes, but there were also a lot of crap episodes. It just drifted off my television radar.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something to consider:

If Wolfe hadn't been canned from Andromeda, we would never have had the BSG miniseries and resultant series...

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
????
AFAIK, Wolfe isn't involved in BSG. I think you're getting him and Ron Moore mixed up.

B.J.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Oops.

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I think meant that if Ron Moore hadn't left Voyager in the dispute with Brannon Braga, then we wouldn't have had the Battlestar Galactica miniseries or series. In between the two, though, I think he also worked on another series, Carnivale, I think. Oh, he was also a part of Roswell.

Ira Steven Behr and Michael Piller don't seem to be doing too badly either nowadays. Behr's on The 4400, and Piller's on The Dead Zone.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps