Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New STIII DVD featurette caps

Author Topic: New STIII DVD featurette caps
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harcourt Fenton Mudd of the TrekBBS has posted a small index of screengrabs from the VFX models featurette from the new TSFS DVD. There are a couple interesting pics, including a top-view of the most conventional-looking of the ART OF STAR TREK Excelsior prototypes, a concept Bird-of-prey, and an Oberth shot which may be the actual model in an early stage or a study model.

Enjoy.
-MMoM [Big Grin]

http://www.pski.net/harrymudd/st3

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... quite interesting.

The Excelsior study is interestings. I think saucer could have been beefed up a little, but I like the curviness of the secondary hull in the topview capture. And the side view capture shows a neat little logo on the nacelle that likes a bit like Nasa's logo. This is my first time seeing detailed pictures of this study model of the Excelsior. Quite nice.

I don't suppose anyone knows if the DVD featurettes include any additional information on the mysterious blob/ship/freighter/construction pod/trash bin/whatever since inside Spacedock?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that the only filming model for Spacedock? (The whole thing, that is. Presumably there was a larger model of the doors and surrounding hull.) It's much smaller than I expected. They really crammed it full of detail.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Oh yes, there's a much bigger version, I think that's just the study model shown in The Art of Star Trek. The real model was shown on the season two TNG DVDs.

http://www.zeetec.net/host/phlox/Starbase%20Model2.JPG

There's a piccy.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I have, in fact, watched that very documentary. Hmm. The mind wanders.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The top view pic of an Excelsior study model is definitely a different model then the one seen in the side view (the most famous Excelsior study model as first seen from the Art of ST book) The changes made were the addition of the impulse engines, the hump from which the nacelle pylons extend outward, the more familiar Excelsior nacelles, possibly the shield grid lines on the saucer, and the aft shuttlebay. (And some decals, but that really nothing).

And the Oberth is definitly a study model as the pylons seem a little thin and the nacelles are a little forward than on the studio model. And there's no impulse engine.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dat, are you implying that the changes you describe were actually made to the side-view ship to make it into the top-view ship? I'm not sure I agree. I think that the top-view model is a separate model altogether, now that the changes you described become apparent. Apparently, that top-view model is the mysterious fourth & final Excelsior study model Okuda once mentioned. Good eye for detail, Dat!
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry if I sounded like I implied the changes were physically made to the earlier model. I meant to imply that it is a separate model from the earlier model and the changes (rather, additions to the design process and not the actual earlier model) were differences between the two models.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a hidden featurette about the puppetry used in the film, btw.

http://www.dvdeastereggs.com/showEgg.php?eggid=878&grabEggs=s

Sounds like it might have some interesting pics.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps