Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » First Contact Ships Sixteen Designs (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: First Contact Ships Sixteen Designs
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is that pointy ship that I asked about a few weeks ago that is in the FC sketch book... I though it could have been the origin of that chunk of starship that we see the Defiant zoom past.

I like that ship - who ever did it.

I agree that Eave's design all have that 'pointed' and in my opinion - unrealistic (not physically realistic) look about them. Yeah may it worked with the Son'a - but it's in everything.

I mean there's even the "eave's nacelle" term that people are all familiar with around here.

WHY did he have to 'point' up the bussards on the Shuttle and Captain's Yacht in Ins?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
What is that pointy ship that I asked about a few weeks ago that is in the FC sketch book... I though it could have been the origin of that chunk of starship that we see the Defiant zoom past.

What "pointy sip" do you speakth of, my freind?
quote:

WHY did he have to 'point' up the bussards on the Shuttle and Captain's Yacht in Ins?

AT least it was'nt a "highlighter nacelle". [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, now... highlighter nacelles were a necessity when ships were physically created for a battle scene in the early 1990's unlike the late 1990, where the Dominion War was all CGI ship explosions showed a free for all. Both have pros and cons and that's why I respect George Lucas for using both mediums still in the Star Wars films. The two mediums compliment each other nicely.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

What "pointy sip" do you speakth of, my freind?

I don't have the original sketch - but here is a schematic done by someone...

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/zodiac-goodson-top.jpg

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheYoshinator:
I finally decided to register after lurking here for a couple of months.

I like your member number. [Smile]
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two Starfleet ships - besides the E-E and the 4 FC ships (in several design stages) - are shown. One is the early dropped USS Endeavour, the other one is an unnamed ship done by John Goodson. If we do not count the various Enterprise pre-designs shown in the book (all clearly labeled as USS Enterprise and thus not ment to be anything else), we have eight ships so far: Sovereign, Steamrunner, Saber, Norway, Akira, 'Goodson', Zandura and Endeavour.

The only existing Endeavour-design, done by John Eaves.
The mysterious NCC 7105, done by John Goodson.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I like the 'Goodson!' I'm guessing that's a secondary hull, separated from the saucer by a neck/pylon?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always figured it was a direct bolting.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
The only existing Endeavour-design, done by John Eaves.

Er, this Endeavour looks very much like an upsidedown Enterprise-E.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I imagine a little more detailed design work would have made it look a little more unique but really it's no more similar to the Sovreign than the Nebula is to the Galaxy.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Goodson schematic is nice, but the saucer is a bit too squared when compared to the sketch.
She looks like a design from the Ageian line of thinking.
Are those pulse phasers on the nacelle pylons? Torp launchers?
I really plan on making that ship!
I need your help with the following:
Ship's length.
Secondary hull.
Forward view.

If you guys can help with these, I'll build the ship in the next two weeks. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Well, I imagine a little more detailed design work would have made it look a little more unique but really it's no more similar to the Sovreign than the Nebula is to the Galaxy.

I'm not sure I agree...flip the ship over and put the saucer on top or flip the ship insideout (unfortunately MSPaint can't do what I am saying)but it looks much more like the Sovereign than a Nebby does in relation to a Galaxy. It's hard to judge by the angle of the picture.

My POV from the picture I was looking at:
 -

...as if you were looking up at the E-E from behind.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree; the Endeavour-sketches do look like some of the early Enterprise-E drawings, also shown in the book. Eaves probably reused some of the dropped ideas for the E.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also another version of the Steamrunner in the sketchbook with the nacelle caps under the saucer and the final pod up instead of down. Top /side/front views.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Got a scan of the alternate Steamrunner?

I think the Goodson is probably about 350 meters long: not too mamy windows, but its's length is mostly nacelles.
Looks like a Intrepid-style flattened triangle at the ship's bow: probably a row of windows should go there.
The lifeboats would be the same as those on the Sabre.
The secondary hull looks to be about as large as the Defiant class.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps