Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » First Contact Ships Sixteen Designs (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: First Contact Ships Sixteen Designs
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is a big box an inappropriate design for a ship intended to function as...a big box? Utility is a good thing.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that ship that looks like the Prometheus/Intrepid hybrid is more like a variant of the Nova Class. It seems to have that square cut in the front of the saucer for it.

Wow, the things you miss while at SF for Pride weekend...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I would have preferred that they had built a model of one of the more traditional Starfleet-style designs, which I found to be more aesthetically pleasing and more Starfleet or Federation like. A brick ship isn't very visually exciting, although it would offer the most interior space.

Hopefully they will be able to use the designs I like for another starship in the future, perhaps a scout for one and a science ship or surveyor for the other.

But the brick design goes contrary to just about all the articles we have seen in "Star Trek: The Magazine" and the treknology books about starship design when they discuss the importance of a stream-lined shape to increase performance at warp velocities.

Boxes are pretty much for the Alien universe in the design of starships like the USCSS Nostromo.

So that's what I find wrong with the brick shape.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These would be the same rules that don't seem to apply to any other ship-building group other than the Federation?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Is John Eaves the most uninspired, worst starship designer in Trek history!?!

Jeffries, Probert, George, Rodis, Sternbach, Jein, Martin - they crap all over Eaves' work.

I'm sorry, was the term "Alex Jaeger" not written in large enough letters across the bottom of that image?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:

So why do some people think that it's even appropriate to mention Eaves' talent in this thread or compare him to other beloved designers of Star Trek in the first place. [Confused]

Cause I felt like it! [Smile]

I forgot about Alex Jaeger... but his Akira design - torpedo port numbers etc. aside - is quite a nice design. I don't forgive him for the registry number fuck-up though.

Besides, I just don't like Eave's design - as I said they are uninspired. They lack imagination. They are quite... lazy... an arc here - a pointed bit here. They verge on the organic - which is easy to draw.

I think it's that his designs are easy to create in a CGI environment (i.e. that organic look) and as everyone knows it's harder to create 'real' box-straight-edged shapes like the Galor class or the E-refit etc. It's like Eaves takes the easy way out - where as designers like Sternbach and Jim Martin were functional and created ships that you could easily imagine being physical or real... as if you could touch the hull with your hand.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just downloaded the 16 strange starships. Put Jaeger's name next to Eave's name. [Smile]

These designers have become lazy in the CGI-age. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys the sketch storyboard is not the 16 designs that were whittled down to the 4 . Remember we have the small pic of the Zandura and it is not on the storyboard - Alex was supposed to do an article on these in the defunct Star Trek mag thats why I asked if anyone had contact with him so maybe we could get them.
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Besides, I just don't like Eave's design - as I said they are uninspired. They lack imagination. They are quite... lazy... an arc here - a pointed bit here. They verge on the organic - which is easy to draw.

I really have to disagree with you here, AndrewR. I find the majority of Eaves designs to be quite well thought out, as well as being pleasant on the eye. The Valdore and the Ent-E are a couple of my favourite designs actually, and some of the major ships he's done for Enterprise (the series) are also very impressive.

I don't think Eaves' work quite compares to that of Probert's but I do think that Eaves has more of an artistic touch (not technical, obviously) than Sternbach.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Eaves also design the Defiant and the Hideki?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't put my finger on it
but the Breen early designs, the concept Scorpion shuttle, the Sona stuff, and the Dominion stuff and the Reman ship all have such a subtle similarity[well some are subtle LOL]...
...Is it because they all have sharp edges and looks like hunting knives with nacelles?...maybe.

And the Valadore is unoriginal on purpose, I think it was stated in The Mag.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Eaves also design the Defiant and the Hideki?

I dunno about the Hideki, but the Defiant was designed by James Martin, under the direction of Herman Zimmerman and Gary Hutzel...

I too see absolutely no reason to discuss John Eaves (whose work, just for the record, I happen to like more of than I don't) in a thread about Alex Jaeger's designs.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of bitching about designers, lets try to pin down these sixteen designs and make them plausable.
If someone would be good enough to scan and crop all the unused designs we could go over each one and tweak it into a completed design. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheYoshinator
Member # 1066

- posted      Profile for TheYoshinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally decided to register after lurking here for a couple of months.

I was very disappointed that Star Trek: The Magazine didn't follow through with that Alex Jaeger article. All we got was that tiny pic of the Zandura. I think the Zandura is a very interesting design and I'm sure the others would have been equally interesting. I mean this is the guy that designed the Akira after all. The first time i saw it grace the screen I said to myself- "Holy crap! Wow! That's different!"

My guess is that all the remaining mystery designs were all his.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Flare, Yosh!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps