Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Romulan Warbird (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Romulan Warbird
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other thing I forgot to mention about the Warbird, Andy pointed out there are two cargo bays/shuttle decks on ther ship. They are the two rectangular openings on the front edge of the thick portion at the center of the lower "wing". In "Contagion" a light appears on one of these when the Romulan ship is seen to be arming torpedoes. Again, the SFX people didn't seem to know where the weapons really were!

>Did [Andy Probert] mention what the Marauder's
>drop-down shuttle was supposed to look like?
>It doesn't fit with the Ferengi Pod...

As far as I know, what you see of it sticking out of the bottom of the ship is all that was designed. I know it was a swept-forward wing, but that's all.

Other Marauder features lost were the moving parts on the model, which only were ever used in The Last Outpost, and not clearly seen. There's a shot of the Ferengi ship ont he viewscrren where the front end appears to be moving towards the Enterprise. There's a seam along the next where the ship kind of separates, the idea being that when a Ferengi ship surrendered it would open this gap, "exposing it throat", so to speak, as a gesture of capitulation. The clawlike weapons were designed to fold down too. The idea was that the Ferengi ship would do this gesture and the Enterprise crew would misinterpret it as opening gunports or something, but this never happened and the ship's moving parts were never really seen in action again.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quick followup to the Ferengi Marauder notes...

While poking around the net I found a photo of the Marauder model with it's neck joint opened and its weapons folded down, as well as the coffin shaped upper structure at the top of the ship raised.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/dkora-model.jpg

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That upper coffin is the torpedo launcher, at least it was in one TNG-episode.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps