Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » George W. Bush: American Revolutionary? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: George W. Bush: American Revolutionary?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time magazine named George W. Bush as the person of the year.

Fine.

But look at the cover. These words are in the corner:

quote:
President George W. Bush: American Revolutionary
 -

The story argues, loosely in my opinion considering it's prominance on the cover, that Mr. Bush has bent the political powers to his will and in doing so deserves to be called a revolutionary.

quote:
For sticking to his guns (literally and figuratively), for reshaping the rules of politics to fit his ten-gallon-hat leadership style and for persuading a majority of voters that he deserved to be in the White House for another four years, George W. Bush is TIME's 2004 Person of the Year
Still the question that has been turning over in my mind since I saw the cover is does Mr. Bush deserve to be described as an American Revolutionary.

My thoughts as to the competence of Mr. Bush should surprise no one here, but I keep coming back to this line of thought:

1. Mr. Bush is very conservative
  2. Mr. Bush's policies are very conservative in nature
  3. He should be considered a Conservative Revolutionary
  4. Conservative Revolutionary is an oxymoron
Mr. Bush�s policies are about eliminating or curtailing aspects of the New Deal and the Great Society. They are about returning power to the old elites and represent, to me anyway, a constriction in power structures. His policies are rather anti-revolutionary in their result.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ultimate goals of the current Republican leadership may speak to a sort of ancient core of values, but I think it's obvious that they, especially within the White House, are in fact extremely radical.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is radical revolutionary?

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revolutionary? That's not normally a word linked to right-wing Christians.

I'd like to know who owns Time, and how is he related to Bush.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not Rupert Evererterett?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, yeah, I'd say so. Sure. I mean, whether you are in favor of them or not, I don't think you can say that current policies represent a return to anything that's come before, as far as actual laws go. I mean, you could say, for instance, that a sort of ideological rejection of the Great Society stuff is in the air, but it isn't coupled with a return to the actual laws and policies which predate it. I mean, take Rumsfeld, for instance. Again, actual quality of the ideas aside, his vision for the 21st century military represents a pretty significant departure from the status quo.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Needless to say, I think that a backing away from the New Deal and Great Society represent a regression and not a revolution.

And I think that is the case regardless of any return to any specific pre-existing law. In other words, I don�t think that Mr. Bush needs to bring back particular laws that pre-date these milestones to say that a regression is taking place.

I think that Mr. Bush and his conservative cadre want to eliminate, as much as possible, the regulatory power of government and return to the pre-Upton Sinclair days of an industry honor system. You can see it in their rhetoric as they implement clean air and other environmental regulations that are voluntary.

Admittedly one can argue about the rightness or wrongness of the level of government regulations, but I don�t think that one can really dispute that regulation acts as part of the will of a people united in a wide-ranging, federal, multi-state system. A citizen of California in such a system can not, with any real due diligence oversee the production of widgets in Maine, but can, be harmed by the widget if the manufacturer decides to cut corners.

Which brings us to the �let the market decide� argument. I agree with that to a point. However, the United States, in the heyday of Robber Baron capitalism decided to use the combined power of the people in their constituted governmental institutions to act for them in instances where they are unable to act for themselves. In doing so, they hoped to prevent the loss of life that a callous widget maker might bring about in order to make profits bigger at the expense of safety.

As to Mr. Rumsfeld, I don�t think there are many people who every really doubted that the American military would win a military conflict with Iraq. However, his idea about using a small, light force to win such a conflict seems somewhat less successful when using such a force as an a occupying power.

At any rate, I think Mr. Bush is radical to hand as many sops to the American corporate structure as he can, but in doing so, he is not revolutionary.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A revolutionary is just someone who makes an extreme change. It doesn't have to be leftist/progressive.

And let's not forget that past Men of the Year have included Adolf Hitler, Ruhollah Khomeini, and, twice, Josif Stalin. Granted, since Khomeini, Time have intentionally failed to choose "bad guys". But, still, the title isn't exactly an honorific.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

I do think there needs to be a certain progression to truly call something revolutionary.

Change, in and of itself, is not.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dot bitch- it was either Bush or Arafat for the cover...and fuck Arafat

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revolutionary, perhaps they are refering to how much spin this admin. produces as opposed to actual substance.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:
Needless to say, I think that a backing away from the New Deal and Great Society represent a regression and not a revolution.

While I agree with you, the majority of voters -and probable magazine buyers- would not.
Thus they print what sells.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I put it to you that the creation of a modern conservative American state is as much a revolution as anything the 1960s produced. Someone more well-read than I would/should draw connections to the roots of the neoconservative movement and the origins of modern Christian fundamentalism.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would write a lengthy post on the origins and actions of the New Right, but I can't really be bothered.

The dominance in the Bush administration of the neo-conservative element of the New Rights (as opposed to the neo-liberal element dominant in Reagan's time) could be described as having led to an attempted revolution, I suppose, if one were going by the dictionary definition. Admittedly the political connotations of revolution make the description harder to sustain, but you have to remember that from the point of view of neo-conservative, the New Deal and stuff are the regressive measures.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I put it to you that the creation of a modern conservative American state is as much a revolution as anything the 1960s produced. Someone more well-read than I would/should draw connections to the roots of the neoconservative movement and the origins of modern Christian fundamentalism.

Or possibly the decline in education standards in the US...and the rise in hate crimes, increase in TV violence, the invention of Internet and just about anything else.

Not that I dont agree with you, just that drawing parralells to make an argument is very subjective.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps