Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » George W. Bush: American Revolutionary? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: George W. Bush: American Revolutionary?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh. . . I wasn't going to do that. The modern conservative movement is a direct outgrowth of those two things, both of which represent, in my opinion, radical reinterpretation.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...I ont think they're a "radical reinterpertation" so much as they are a throwback to 1950's mentality.

You know, back when there were no gays and no need for any social reform, environmental protection, overtime pay, job security... [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I don't think we're on the same wavelength here. My point is that, for instance, Christian Fundamentalism as a theological movement redefined a number of terms in novel ways. Like, a 100% literal reading of the Bible seems old fashioned, in the sense that its goal is apparently to get to the "roots," as it were, but the policy as a policy was in fact not a common Christian practice even for the early Church Fathers.

So, OK, there's a reactionary element here. The rush of science and Darwin in particular in the mid to late 19th century scared up a lot of this sentiment, but the reaction took the form of radicalism in the name of conservatism. So you get a sort of conservative theory backed by radical acts.

And I believe the same holds true for modern political conservatism.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Right is kooky.

I recall when they were confined to psychos like Jerry Falwell....then somewhere between the conservatism of the PMRC and the current administration they became the biggest political factor in the US.

It's creepy- they have so many people in both parties beholden to them that we saw Kerry skirt many topics for fear of offending them.

The next election will probably Kang and Kodos saying the exact same message for fear of Christian Coallition reprisals.
...or we'll see them run their own candidate- mabye a minister. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps