Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » What if it wasn't international... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What if it wasn't international...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
terrorism... but internal terrorism? Look at what Timothy McVeigh did!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe, but given that you've got Bin Laden making a threat three weeks ago about a massive, coordinated strike against the United States ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not to mention the massive ammount of resources that this kind of attack would have consumed is pretty out of reach of all these domestic terrorist organizations.

Also , I'm pretty sure killing off thousands of your own countrymen isnt really a good way to Start a "revolution" , which after all is what most of the large domestic orgs want.

This certainly fits the bill of an Islamic group , a HUGE , organizied attack , with lots of people involved.

The Islamic are just out to cause problems and basiclly throw a monkey wrench into the system everyonce and again.

This was just one whopper of a wrench.

This was both a symbolic and strategic attack , its amazing what minds devoted to evil can create.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they finally did it though, they couldn't tople the towers in 1993 but unfortunately succeeded this time around.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Islamic are just out to cause problems and basiclly throw a monkey wrench into the system everyonce and again.

No, they're not. This line of thinking will lead to the murders of innocent Americans of Arabian descent, or who are Muslims.

Extremists, who may or may not be Islamic, carried out this attack. Don't mistake these actions to speak for all Muslims.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To expand on what Jeff said:

Obviously, the lines between Lounge and Flameboard are going to be pretty hazy for awhile, and I don't intend to try and sort that out at the moment. But I'm not going to hesitate to lock any thread that descends into racist language.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it's not too late for that, I really do.

But if it turns out that the terrorists wre long-term residents, living here for years, or even (a possibility) the pilots of the planes, I think the backlash to those arab muslims living in the US will be severe, because of the paranoia it will generate.

See, one of the things about the US is that when we're attacked like this, we go BERSERK. I don't know why these people didn't take that into consideration. Perhaps they think they're safe. They're not. They've just endangered more of their own than ever before.

I mean, after Pearl Harbor the people of this country were ready and willing to wipe the entire Japanese nation off the face of the Earth. ALL of them. And this was worse than Pearl.

I myself find my thoughts repeatedly returning to "The Survivors"...

"I didn't kill just one Husnock, or a hundred, or a thousand... I killed them ALL... all Husnock, EVERYWHERE..."

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homegrown crazies don't play well with others. This kind of thing required at least 20 people.

No, not Americans.

The rest of my thoughts are here.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK , I got cought up in the momment there and didnt remember to distingush between Islamics and the radical terrorists organizations who twist the religion around to serve them. Sorry for that. But I think my posts in other threads have showed that I do distingush between them.

Shik is right in that domestic terrorist groups dont have the resources required for this type of attack. As far as we know there these 4 planes were just stage one , there could have been so many Airplanes that didnt get in the air because of the shutdown that were in line to be hijacked.

Not to mention that these terrorist groups have had it out for the WTC since 1993.

The reason this attack was so succesful is because of Americas relative isolation , we never really feared for this kind of thing , after all we are a world away from the Middle East , a world away from the old world where all the "problems" are. The world is no longer as big a place as it was before , America takes its saftey for granted , hopefully now America will see we arent a world away , the old world and the new world have now become one huge world. A world where people from all over the world can come together in one place and express their views with only seconds apart , I mean yesterday Jeff and I were posting within a minute of a each other , as if it was a chat , as I stand back and look at what this world has become , I'm amazed by how close everyone is now , where people all over the world can see through the electronic eye as if they were in one place , one world.

America ignored the 93 attack on the WTC , we thought it could only happen once , we said we would be more careful , more perceptive to these terrorists.

We took our saftey for granted.

Let it not happen again. Learn that this is no longer a distant world. Do not let these people die in vain.

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hear hear Obese penguin....

This was a frighteningly successful attack. Months or years of planning went into it. And I'm virtually certain that these hijackers took many many trial runs on planes out of Logan whilst planning this operation.

I agree with general thoughts here in that I do not think domestic terrorism is a likely candidate. What could shed some light on this, as I've mentioned in another thread, is what was said by the people on those planes who used their cell phones to call relatives and emergency services? If they gave the description of 'eastern', 'Asian' or Arabic hijackers this would pretty much clear it up.

This day (yesterday now) will be one of those days that invokes our generation to ask the similar question of 'where were you when WWII broke out'? and 'what were you doing when JFK was shot'? We will ask 'how did you hear, or where were you when the towers fell....?' and so forth.

I cannot remember a world event that shocked and horrified me as much as this. I just pray that as much innocent bloodshed as possible is avoided before the perpetrators operation is eliminated and the culprits responsible brought to justice.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Islamics" is no more a word than Americanians or Britites or Canaditrons.
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

I've heard the media use teh word "Islamics" on some occasions but fine if were gonna be Anal Retentive...

Muslim Religous Zealots

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Obese Penguin ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh gee, I'm sorry. You're right, real words have no place here. Wolfizath crabble simplotu cabuutz. Mekiliki tor'ath mcque mckay.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Anal Retentive", thumbs up.
"Teh", please get out of the vehicle, Sir.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

Bah , next time inform me before hand and i'll bring my own cross and nails

If you go through most of my posts here you could maybe find "teh" a lot , I always type "the" wrong.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Obese Penguin ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps