Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Billiards (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Billiards
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's make it simple.

I'm buying a pool table, roughly 4' by 7', to place in my new apartment when I move this summer.

Given that apartments are rather cramped, how much room do you usually require to shoot? I'm trying to decide between having it hanging out of the dining room into the living room, or just putting it in the living room, have the TV in the dining room, and a couple bar stools for the kitchen counter ... [Smile]

Thoughts ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*tries to imagine the obscenities issued by someone who has just taken a shot and had the cue go through the screen of their TV*

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm keeping anything breakable (well, most anything) way out of range.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be on the safe side, I would create a buffer space around the pool table that is at minimum width the length of cue. That should give you enough space to shoot and give people enough room to walk around.

Since I have no idea what the layout of your new apartment is, I can't offer much advice about that. I would go with the pool table in the dining room. Get a local woodworker to build a canopy for it. That way, it can double as a dining table when you throw the canopy on!

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't we flash with our money, eh Jeffy boy?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Not really.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At minimum, one cue length? Not enough. Better have at least one and a half times the length. I've played pool in far too many pubs where the butt of your cue is in danger of either hitting the wall, or hitting some bloke called Big Dave at the next table.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... If your "buffer zone" has a width of the length of a cue, and the butt of your cue is outside that area, then the tip isn't even over the table. So what are you doing w/ it? 'Cause you can't be shooting...
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies and gentleman, I obviously have a very dirty mind indeed... [Big Grin]
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
o dear god.. no i see it too

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Actually, I was just commenting on the fact that my mind came up with seven different scenarios that involves me, Lexa Doig, and Jennifer Lopez playing "billiards" the instant I read TSN's concluding remark.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, forgot to add sufficient clarification for Mr. Literal. Now, imagine (if you're able) the white ball is right up against the edge of the table. Even allowing for the fact the cue will be at a greater angle to account for the raised rim, to get it in position it's still going to be awkward if the wall is barely a few inches behind.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And who, dare I ask, is Lexa Doig?
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's that cute little computer on Andromeda.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

She's yummy. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps