Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » RAM Troubles (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: RAM Troubles
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About a week ago, I started up my computer and it complained of a memory size error. It ran through the check and found 128MB. This is half of what is actually in the computer. Windows started up, with 128MB it said. So I shut it down and started it up again. It complained of a memory size error again, ran through its check, and found the correct 256MB, so I didn't think anything else of it. Just now, when I started my computer up, it complained of a memory size error again, only finding 128MB. I restarted, but this time there was no memory size error. So now I only have 128MB of RAM. Does this mean my other 128 stick is fried? I don't have the money to be able to replace it, which makes me rather unhappy. [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you have two 128mb DIMMS, right? First of all, have you opened up the case to see if one of them looks physically wrong in some way?

If not, take one of them out, turn on the computer and see if it says that you have 128. If it does, take that DIMM out and put the other one in. See what that says. If the computer doesn't work one of those times, you've found out which DIMM doesn't work, well done.

Now, I am not an expert, but my diagnosis would be...it's fried, chuck it. Are you serious when you say you haven't got the money to replace it? You can get a 128mb DDR Dimm for �17.50 from Dabs. That's hardly breaking the bank.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm betting it is SDRAM. 128 MB DDRs are rare as the Dodo bird.

Get thee a new motherboard and RAM. Or if you want, I can sell you a board that I happened to get my hands on.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also recommend that you take and eraser to the pins on the ram, just give them a light scrubbing, sometimes the pins oxidise and you don't get good connections, an eraser will take this oxidation off. I recommend that you ground yourself to the cabinate before removing the RAM and doing this, you should always ground yourself before removing components from your computer.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
Get thee a new motherboard and RAM. Or if you want, I can sell you a board that I happened to get my hands on.

One of his 128mb DIMMS isn't working, and you are suggesting that he get a new motherboard? Isn't that a touch overkill? Especially since he's said he can't even afford the RAM.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see, I'm a poor uni student. I have to make payments on tuition every month, and car insurance payments every month. Plus, I have to pay for gas to put in the vehicles. And, Christmas is fast approaching, so I don't exactly have spare change for myself right now. As a stopgap measure, once I figure out if one of the sticks is fired for sure, I can grab the 64MB stick that was in the computer when I got it and put it back in, giving me 192 MB. It seems as though 256 is as high as I can go with this computer, as its too old for single-sided 256 chips. If I could track down two double-sided 256 chips, I could go for 512, maybe. Also, this computer is a Compaq, so if I bought a new motherboard, I'd need a new case to put it in. [Frown]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
vehicles

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what made me wondering too. More than one?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I live at home with my parents. They each have their own vehicle. Depending on who's where doing what when I need to get somewhere, I will drive a different vehicle.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you only drive your parents' cars, why do you have to fork their insurance bills?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the good thing about working in IT, you get to nick stuff. I just found 3 256Mb 133MHz SDRAMs in my desk. If I bunged those in my current PC that'd be double what I've got now. Must try that sometime.

I might even have a spare 128 you can have, Chris. From a Compaq, no less. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Also, this computer is a Compaq, so if I bought a new motherboard, I'd need a new case to put it in. [Frown]

Why? Do Compaqs not follow the ATX standard, or something?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Responses, in order:

Cartman: Yes, I only drive my parents cars. I'm a casual driver on both, and the insurance bill is a bit steep due to and accident I had. So, I make payments on the bill in reparation.

Lee: Actually, I don't need the RAM anymore as strangely my computer recognized the second stick again.

Liam: Well, The case is smaller than usual, and I don't think a regular motherboard would fit inside very well. Also, the video card is integrated into it.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Do Compaqs not follow the ATX standard, or something?"

Compaqs follow the Compaq standard.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Liam: Well, The case is smaller than usual, and I don't think a regular motherboard would fit inside very well. Also, the video card is integrated into it.

Then get a Micro-ATX board.

And the fact that your current one has integrated graphics would have no bearing on whether a new motherboard would fit in your case. Of course, you'd either need to get a new board with intergrated graphics or buy a graphics card, but I don't see why it wouldn't fit.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps