Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Can you find my disk space?

Author Topic: Can you find my disk space?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 1.5 gigs free. I cleaned up, got four gigs free. Tried to burn a video DVD using Nero Vision. The computer froze hard. I rebooted. I now have 1.5 gigs free. All my attempts to find temporary files to delete have failed. Windows search could find no useful files >100MB modified in the last week. Google desktop search found nothing related in its timeline. All the places I would expect to find temporary files, including where Nero says it stores such files, have nothing. I'm missing 2.5 gigs of hard drive space that I spent a bit of time finding, and I'd rather like to have it back, please.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Run a disk check. This is important, your file system could have been left in an inconsistent state by the crash.

2) Definitely try http://www.werkema.com/software/spacemonger.html
This gives you a graphical view of the folders and files on your system but adjusted by size.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in the totally not useful suggestion catagory... buy a bigger hard drive. You should have more than 4 gigs free anyway, and when hard drive space works out at less than 70c per gig, well...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You categorize correctly.

I woke up this morning to find that my 2.5 gigs had returned. No idea why. That program is kickass, though. I'm finding tons of space that got eaten in my last reinstall of Windows. Now if I can just keep Nero from freezing, I can declare total victory. Thanks, guys.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's your swap file.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You dirty swapper you. Think of the example you're setting for the children.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Can you find my disk space?"

-

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps