Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Todays's news goodies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  59  60  61   
Author Topic: Todays's news goodies
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why keep starting new threads? I'll just make one & reuse it.

For starters, I anticipate the development of the ilPod: U.S. to North Korean leader: No iPods for you!

A whole range of "love of money" jokes opens up here: Judge rules paper money unfair to blind
Judge James Robertson, in a ruling on a suit by the American Council of the Blind, ordered the Treasury to devise a method to tell bills apart.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First the bees now this. I'm convinced, my country has been bitten by the retard bug.
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This country bio-engineered the Retard Bug (Insecta Retardicus Maximus) and then proceeded to elect, idolize, and employ the teachings of all individuals infected by its bite.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Judge James Robertson, in a ruling on a suit by the American Council of the Blind, ordered the Treasury to devise a method to tell bills apart.

Ooh Ooh! I know how! Braille!!!

Well there's a big fat no fuckin duh...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"First the bees now this. I'm convinced, my country has been bitten by the retard bug."

I'm confused. Neither of those stories reflects particularly poorly on the US. And, what bees? (Never mind. I just got to the thread about the bees.)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen related stories from blind people on both sides, some saying agreeing that a change was needed, others saying it's a waste of time.

My question is what, if anything, do other countries do about it? I did find a partial answer in one article:
quote:
Lawyers for the American Council of the Blind have pushed their case by arguing that of the over 180 countries around the world that issue paper currency, only the United States prints bills that are identical in size and colour in all denominations.

Euro bank notes, for example, are printed in differently sized denominations, while the Swiss Franc contains intaglio digits and a perforated numeral that can be identified by touch.

I don't see the color being an issue to anyone, but I doubt the Treasury will change the sizes, since that would force the retooling of all the ATMs, vending machines, etc. Anything they do will have to be usable by the current machines.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likewise, embossing (braille) would wear down afer time, making it useless. Though, I don't know about perforations... I wonder if they would also wear out, causing the bill to tear along the holes, or widening over time.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the average lifespan of a dollar bill is only about 18 months before it gets offered as a sacrifice to the Mint gods.

Just another reason for them to do away with currency altogether and implant a credit/identification/number-of-the-beast chip in everyone.

There was an article published by a legally blind attorney from Sacramento concerning detectable warnings at intersections. He ran the numbers and found that the city of Sacramento would have to spend over $10K per blind person residing in the city to upgrade all the curb cuts to meet the accessibility standards set by the ADAAG. He basicly called it a waste of money and suggested that if you asked the 'visually impaired' residents, they would desire a more beneficial use of those funds than detectable warnings.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Likewise, embossing (braille) would wear down afer time, making it useless.

It doesn't necessarily have to be embossed. It could be with relief print, which is the way they do it on Argentine Pesos, though not with Braille, but with a series of symbols, different for each denomination.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new bills here in Canada have braille on them. I think its braille, anyways. Some sort of raised bumps to help distinguish the bills.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For today...

MC Hawking lays the smack, BIOTCHES.
Humans must colonize planets in other solar systems traveling there using "Star Trek"-style propulsion or face extinction, renowned British cosmologist Stephen Hawking said on Thursday.

SMS dating.
Match-making companies are creating new services that allow people to post their dating profile online and then automatically receive a text message on a GPS-enabled phone when a match is nearby, say, at a coffee shop around the corner.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've got a poll on that first page: "Do you agree with Stephen Hawking that humans should colonize planets in other solar systems?" Personally, I'm amazed that 16% said no. I'll be sure to direct the next asteroid their way.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will make tasty soylent green biscuits.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hawking needs to invent the Apathy Drive- it would be the fastest thing ever, but of course, no one would have enough intrest to build it so...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Member # 343

"The only thing known to science faster than the speed of light is Mrs. Grundy's gossip." --Ira Johnson, To Sail Beyond The Sunset

--------------------

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  59  60  61   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.