Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Todays's news goodies (Page 31)

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  59  60  61   
Author Topic: Todays's news goodies
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather fancied that belt-fed .22 caliber machine gun. We could really use one of those out in gopher country.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a DVD about prarie-dog hunting once. Do small rodents really kinda "explode" when you shoot them?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
It is senseless to limit the calibre of hunting rifles though, but deffinately a good idea to limit the magazine capacity and fire rate.

This is all good but I have to disagree on one thing. Its obvious to limit the caliber of the round because a 50. will fricken destroy a deer while smaller and more practical rounds will do the same job without the mess.

Regular civilians don't NEED 50.'s or automatic weapons or assault rifles or high-powered sniper rifles. Those are all meant for killing PEOPLE not game or for shits and giggles. If you want to try that stuff out, put on a uniform and go to Iraq.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The few. The proud. The guys with the really kick-ass ordnance.
HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if I should make a "stool pigeon" joke here. Or "jailbird," maybe?

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
quote:
It is senseless to limit the calibre of hunting rifles though, but deffinately a good idea to limit the magazine capacity and fire rate.

This is all good but I have to disagree on one thing. Its obvious to limit the caliber of the round because a 50. will fricken destroy a deer while smaller and more practical rounds will do the same job without the mess.

Regular civilians don't NEED 50.'s or automatic weapons or assault rifles or high-powered sniper rifles. Those are all meant for killing PEOPLE not game or for shits and giggles. If you want to try that stuff out, put on a uniform and go to Iraq.

It actually, it's not so much the calibre, as the propellant. Sure, a slug designed to be fired in an M2 .50 machine gun will completely destroy a deer, because it is an extremely powerfull round due to the power of the charge that fires it, and the design of the round. Muzzleloading hunting rifles for example, come in calibres of .50 and higher ( smaller too), but aren't as powerful due to the fact that the bullet is designed differently ( not full metal jacket steel core armour piercing as in the mg round). These bullets could be conical minne balls, or plain lead balls, fired by a black powder or smokeless powder charge. They don't completely destroy a deer. You also have your antique gun enthusiasts who hunt with repllica antique guns, from the 19th and 18th centurys, where the most common musket/rifle calibre was between .60, and .75.

So, am I suggesting that civilians be able to hunt with .50 calibre military sniper rifles? No. But, as hunting with these older style guns is popular, it makes little sense to limit gun calibre. And,anyway, if you're going to go on a shooting rampage, you're not likely to use a one shot muzzleloader.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well-argued. Also makes me want to go read some books about guns.
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
quote:

It actually, it's not so much the calibre, as the propellant. Sure, a slug designed to be fired in an M2 .50 machine gun will completely destroy a deer, because it is an extremely powerfull round due to the power of the charge that fires it, and the design of the round. Muzzleloading hunting rifles for example, come in calibres of .50 and higher ( smaller too), but aren't as powerful due to the fact that the bullet is designed differently ( not full metal jacket steel core armour piercing as in the mg round). These bullets could be conical minne balls, or plain lead balls, fired by a black powder or smokeless powder charge. They don't completely destroy a deer. You also have your antique gun enthusiasts who hunt with repllica antique guns, from the 19th and 18th centurys, where the most common musket/rifle calibre was between .60, and .75.

So, am I suggesting that civilians be able to hunt with .50 calibre military sniper rifles? No. But, as hunting with these older style guns is popular, it makes little sense to limit gun calibre. And,anyway, if you're going to go on a shooting rampage, you're not likely to use a one shot muzzleloader.

True indeed. Nice facts too. But all I'm saying is that there a bunch of red-necks who really do want and believe that that the general populus deserves those military-grade weapons, guns, and ammunition. All courtesy of the Second Amendment.

And that's just stupid.

But a single shot .75? Psh, why not? [Razz]

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Why thank you. I guess the interest in firearms that I have harboured since the 4th grade has finally paid off.

If you're in the gun-zy mood, check this site out.

quote:
True indeed. Nice facts too. But all I'm saying is that there a bunch of red-necks who really do want and believe that that the general populus deserves those military-grade weapons, guns, and ammunition. All courtesy of the Second Amendment.

Well, then they've seen Canadian Bacon a few too many times. [Big Grin]

[ June 30, 2008, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Sean ]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take an Automag V, Berrett M82A1, Calico M960, Sturmgewehr Stg. 44, and to top it all off a Jackhammer Mk3A1 fully automatic 12 gauge combat shotgun.

Oooh, gets me all frisky inside.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LET"S ALL MASTURBATE INTO THE HOT GUNMETAL OF A GAPING VOID IN OUR LIVES

YES GUNS TAKE ME TO THE TENDER ZONE

FUCK GUNS I LOVE THEM SO MUCH

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I'll take a S&W Model 10 in .38 super, an FN High Power, with an SMLE No. 4, and a Colt Detective Special, with plenty of ammo. And a rootbeer float. [Wink]

--------------------

-George Carlin

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have a Marlin 1896 Cowboy chambered for .38 special and .357 Magnum to go with my S&W snub.

OH WAIT....I already have That....

Commonality of ammunition is a GOOD thing.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a couple squirt guns.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I have a couple of BB guns, a 50 year old .22 rifle, and soon, an old 12 gauge Sears & Roebuck shotgun. Although, technically, I don't hold the permits and liscenses to them. My dad does. But, for all intensive purposes, they are mine.

Once I am older, and have a rather steady financial state, I plan to buy a SIG P228 for self defence to carry on my person. Although, if I plan to be a teacher, I don't know how that will pan out...

A Walther PPK would be nice. I don't think they produce those anymore though.

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 61 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  59  60  61   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.