Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » First Recorded Voice (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Recorded Voice
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. i did not know that...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't either actually.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, I think it had to do with him being dragged by the ear.

This kinda reminds of the debate over who created the first video game, but this debate stems more from the question of what constitutes a video game.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So don't kids read inspirational comics about 19th century self-made men anymore?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_edison

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending. I honestly thought it was common knowledge that Edison was deaf. I guess not so much.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some audio files:

http://www.firstsounds.org/sounds/index.php

I don't really care about who invented what, but the fact that this is the voice of someone living 148 years ago feels quite significant.

But my favorite 'oldest media ever' is the 1888 Leeds Bridge scene, because it simply shows a short slice of ordinary life, and there is a lot going on for such a short piece of film. This Leeds Film Festival trailer sums it up quite nicely [Razz] .

(sorry to off-topic)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's cool.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
I don't really care about who invented what, but the fact that this is the voice of someone living 148 years ago feels quite significant.

History sometimes seems so sterile that it's fascinating to me to see more personal imprints. The most dramatic example I've personally seen is in Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland. I don't remember a whole lot about the palace since the tour I was on was rather brief. However, I remember the northern turret room pretty well. In that room Mary Queen of Scots' secretary David Rizzio was murdered in 1565. It's believed that the large dark stain in a corner of the room is indeed Rizzio's blood.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I remember seeing an original Edison Film a while back. It was shot from one of the gondolas in one of the canals made especially for the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo. To see that film, and to see people and what they did in their normal lives here in Buffalo a hundred years ago is amazing. To tour the house that President McKinley died in and to see the gun that he was killed with two or three days after that film was made was simply breath taking. Britain obviously has a much older history tha Buffalo, but it is still cool.

--------------------

-George Carlin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of McKinley and voice recordings, there's one in his Wikipedia article from 1896. It starts out with some historian giving background information, so you have to skip ahead to around the six-minute mark, I think, to hear McKinley. The way he speaks sounds really weird to modern ears. I don't know if he would have sounded pretty typical at the time, or not.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

My computer cant play wiki files, so I had to search for it on the net. I found it on youtube . Around the 55 second mark, there is some wierd noise, I guess either a train, or the crowd cheering. I think he sounds like a typical Beacon Hill aristocrat.

Here is his funeral proscession

And here is his assassin's exicution, although I think this one was an actual movie recreated by Thomas Edison instead of the actuall thing.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often wondered about the voices on radio broadcasts from the 20s-40s. Weird accents, and the women always seem to be speaking in a hesitant falsetto.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Well, they were pretty much playing a character, whether a voice play, or just DJing, and the men might have needed to enunciate their words to be heard by the broad cast technology of the time.

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps