Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » First Recorded Voice (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First Recorded Voice
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think Thomas Edison was the first to record a voice? You're wrong...

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/256.0/popup/index.php?cl=7165873

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, uh, has nothing to do with anything that would ever live in Flameboard land.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note to self- Water cooler chat goes to the Officer's lounge.

THe recording is kind of freaky sounding. Almost like a bad echo. Old recordings like that give me the chills.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So he made a machine that made squiggles on paper. Big whoop. It's not like he had any hope of playing it again. Edison et al. made replayable recordings (i.e. not requiring exhaustive computer reconstruction).

I mean it's neat and all to hear, but it doesn't shorten Edison's historical swinging pecker a single millimeter.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pfft. Edison's phonograph was almost the only thing he actually invented. He took the credit for what the people in his lab invented, or else he's credited with something that he didn't invent at all but only improved upon. For example, the light bulb, his most famous 'invention,' was fairly well established by the time he got to it:

quote:
In addressing the question "Who invented the incandescent lamp?" historians Robert Friedel and Paul Israel [1] list 22 inventors of incandescent lamps prior to Swan and Edison. They conclude that Edison's version was able to outstrip the others because of a combination of factors: an effective incandescent material, a higher vacuum than others were able to achieve and a high resistance lamp that made power distribution from a centralized source economically viable.
(From wikipedia)
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, & Henry ford didn't invent mass production or the assembly line, he just organized it all better. But there we are.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
So he made a machine that made squiggles on paper. Big whoop. It's not like he had any hope of playing it again. Edison et al. made replayable recordings (i.e. not requiring exhaustive computer reconstruction).

I mean it's neat and all to hear, but it doesn't shorten Edison's historical swinging pecker a single millimeter.

You're right. I doubt that anyone will ever connect this guy's name with anything significant, everyone will still remember Edison when it comes to recordings, but it is still nice to know that Mary had a little lamb was not the first thing someone thought to record. Actually, the possibility remains that there are more of this guy's paper recordings out there. I doubt anyone would want to find them though.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would. I too had a problem with a nursery rhyme being the first thing recorded. I was like, why not the President reading a speech or something?? Mary Had a Little Lamb?? Srsly??
Shik
Member # 343

Because it's simple & has harmonics. Best testing element available.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Yeah, but Edison said it in probably the most monotonic way possible. WHy not a song? Or a major scale? That has harmonics, and I'm pretty sure Edison could pull it off.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Shik
Member # 343

When you do a baseline testing, you don't go for complex.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was just testing the principle. Not every "historical event" is appreciated for what it is (or will become) in the years to come. Neil Armstrong being the exception of course.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I dont think a major scale is that complex. It wouldn't it also show if the machine could detect different tones and pitches? 8 notes up and down isn't that hard-for most people, who knows, maybe edison was tone deaf.

--------------------

-George Carlin

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
I dont think a major scale is that complex. It wouldn't it also show if the machine could detect different tones and pitches? 8 notes up and down isn't that hard-for most people, who knows, maybe edison was tone deaf.

Well, yeah. He was almost completely deaf from adolescence. Duh.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps