Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Amputation of Galactic Arms (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Amputation of Galactic Arms
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was that movie...? I saw a clip on YouTube of a Chinese movie about Japanese experiments on people during WWII. In this scene a guy is put in a vacuum chamber and starts to blow up like a balloon...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That NASA guy was probably still in room-temperature conditions[.]"

I don't think you can have a room-temperature vacuum. Or, to put it another way, in a vacuum, the room's temperature is very very cold.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I was going to ask that. But one question... is an absolute vacuum, absolute zero?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Temperature is a physical property, so you have to have something there in order to measure its temperature. In a vacuum, there's nothing there, so there's nothing to measure, therefore there is no temperature. That does not equate to absolute zero.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But space is not an absolute vacuum. It's just a near-vacuum. Therefore, it has temperature. Right?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Wikipedia:

Contrary to popular understanding, outer space is not completely empty (i.e. a perfect vacuum) but contains a low density of particles, predominantly hydrogen plasma, as well as electromagnetic radiation. Hypothetically, it also contains dark matter and dark energy.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has a temperature, MinutiaeMan, because there is some gas out there (see the wiki on the heliopause, btw, its very interesting) but it's very very low. If memory serves, somewhere around -450*C. But the vacuum the scientist was exposed to would have a similar temperature. What you must remember is that 'cold' is the absence of heat; in other words, if you're in a cold room, what you mean is that the temperature in the room is lower than your body temperature so that you're losing heat to the air around you. In space you can't lose heat via convection (very efficiently) but you do lose heat by radiation. However it'd take hours and hours to freeze in that fashion - maybe days, I haven't done the math.

The boiling effect is because when you lower the pressure of a liquid enough, it will phase to a gas to fill the vacuum (and actually, that takes heat energy to accomplish, so as your spit boiled your tongue would feel cold, not hot). That's what happens when you crack your knuckles, according to a study John Hopkins did a while back - you lower the pressure of the fluid in the joints enough that some of it turns to a gas, creating bubbles. It happens very suddenly, hence the crack.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close, Daniel. Absolute Zero -- or 0 Kelvins -- is about -460° Farenheit, but -273.15°C. You can still have matter present with no temperature. Absolute Zero is an indicator of no atomic motion at all (above zero-point energy), since motion is heat. I think the coldest we've been able to achieve in careful experiments here on Earth is about 700 nK, and the coldest temperature we've found in deep space so far is about 1 K, and I think the lowest it gets in the vicinity of our solar system is about 3 K. And the vacuums to which test subjects are exposed are far warmer due to being far less perfect.

I remember cringing when watching episodes of TNG and later Trek when someone gives a temperature as "minus three hundred (something) degrees Celsius" or otherwise gives a temperature below Absolute Zero. *heh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:

I remember cringing when watching episodes of TNG and later Trek when someone gives a temperature as "minus three hundred (something) degrees Celsius" or otherwise gives a temperature below Absolute Zero. *heh*

--Jonah

Maybe they just reworked the scale like they did with warp factors. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And 0 K can never be attained... that's unless you have the end of the universe.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milliways!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, got C and F mixed up [Razz] Should've checked the wiki before I hit the post button.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Kelvin and Celsius make sense to me. Farenheit has been losing its grip on my brain slowly but steadily. Especially since I found out how Farenheit got his zero point. I'd wondered for a long time what it was based on, since it obviously wasn't water... A brine of water, ice, and ammonium chloride -- the temperature at which that froze. Um... what?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Celsius makes more sense to me, but since I was raised using Farenheit, I can't understand it. I can walk outside and know what a 50F day feels like, but Celsius man, what is 50F like 14C?

Kelvin is just whatever celsius is, +/- 273 degrees, and even that seems to make more sense than Farenheit.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's simple. Water freezes at zero and boils at one hundred. So 50 degrees centigrade is fooking hot, or if you wish, half way towards scalding, by definition.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps