Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hilarious computer hijinks! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Hilarious computer hijinks!
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the installer is missing or buggered. First off, I assume you've tried these fixes...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315353
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

and tried reregistering the service by doing this...

1) Boot up in safe mode (pressing F8 repeatedly while it boots)
2) Then in Run Command type msiexec /regserver
3) restart in Normal Mode

Your next best bet is to find what broke the damn thing. Usually it's some spyware or malware interference, or occasionally a virus. Run you antivirus and also get Malwarebytes Antimalware or Lavasoft Ad-aware and run scans to clear out the more obvious stuff. Once done, retry the original fixes. Dont try any other spyware removers from the interweb, they're usually malware themselves and will hold your PC hostage for money with hundreds of fake alerts.

Another option is to use your Windows disk as a repair disk. If you (or someone you know) has a genuine WinXP disk you can boot from the disk and choose to repair your windows install, and it will attempt to put all the vital files back into place.

One final thing you might try is to get a hold of a program called ERD Commander. It creates a 'live disk', a CD you put into your PC and boot from that takes the place of your hard disk, so you dont even need a hard drive in your PC to get going. It allows you access to the C drive without it running, which is great for fixing issues with Windows and permissions problems since you're not actually running windows. It has tools for reseting passwords, saving data and for comparing and repairing corrupt windows files. It's a life saver.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, tried both of those before and no joy. I did actually get a nasty virus a few weeks back (first time in years) it killed my firewall and virus scanner then pretended to be the windows security suit and insisted I had to by something or other to fix the 20 million spywares and viruses it "detected". A safemode reboot plus virus scan and system restore later at it appears to have been fixed, but I suppose it's possible it still did some damage on the way in.

I'll download that Malwarebytes thing and give it a go, see what happens. If not then it's time to dig out the old XP disc.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've played ME2? Me too.

I've been running into a couple irritating bugs with that game, got stuck on a parked hover car in the omega market next to the prophet. I got stuck on the picnic table on horizon and a really weird one where your avatar gets locked facing one direction but you can still move the mouse and shoot, oh ya and while it was stuck like that I couldn't get behind cover while facing the scions at the defense tower control, Argh...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've encountered a few bugs, but not very often and not very severe. Reloading a quick save usually fixes things. Considering that I'm only running a 2.67Ghz Intel core duo with 2GB RAM and an older Nvida 8600GT it's running really quite well, even with nearly maxed out settings.

I get the odd bsod, but I'm pretty sure that's down to the drivers, which I can't seam to update. Hopefully fixing the windows installer will allow me to update my drivers properly. If not then I'll just have to put up with it.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Ok, none of that worked so I'm about to dig out the old windows install disc, though before I do anything potentially destructive, will using the repair facility wipe the hard drive or leave my various crap intact?

[Edit] Ok, I don't know what I've broken but all of a sudden Mass Effect 2 is taking up 90% of the CPU and intermittently acting as if it's running on a ZX81. This is what happens whenever I try to fix something, it only makes it worse!

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A windows repair just reinstalls the main kernel files, it doesn't touch your data. it's not reinstalling the whole thing. Sounds like your virus damaged Windows, might be best to save all your crap to an external drive and do a complete rebuild, completely formatting the drive. It's drastic, but it works in 100% of cases.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well I have two internal drives, one of which has the windows folders more or less in it's own partition away from most of the "program files" folders and most of my various crap. Would a full system wipe go over the partitions or just stick to the "C Drive" partition? You can tell I don't bugger around with this stuff very often if I can help it! [Wink]

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A wipe will only clear the drive you tell it to. So, if you have a C drive with only Windows files, a D drive that's a partition on that same drive for program files, and an E drive for all your data, you're good to go.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

If I do a rebuild I actually remove the partition and recreate it, effectively wiping all data on the physical drive. If you move your stuff to the second internal drive you'll be fine, as long as it's a seperate physical drive and not just a partition on a single drive.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

That might take a bit of doing as I'm rather short on storage space as it is. I think I'll try the repair first, then if that don't work start burning off back-up DVDs and reformat the physical C drive.

[ March 05, 2010, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Gah! This is why I never went into IT support! Tried booting from the windows disc, got onto the recovery console and now it's asking me "which windows installation would you like to log onto" which seams reasonable enough, although the only option it's offering is "D:\windows" whereas the current OS is on the C drive. I'm tempted to just take it on faith that somehow it's shifted the drive letters, but I don't want to run the risk of wiping out the D partition before I've backed anything up.

Looks like it's a full OS wipe down and reinstall after all! This'll take me bloody ages to sort out.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's always the option of using a LiveCD of a Linux distro to back up your files.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Que? No hablo Linuxo.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

That's what ERD commander is for, it's a live disc built for Windows and looks like Windows, so no hassles. It also has Windows repair and tweak tools built right in. Linux is a bastard nightmare to work, I hate it with a passion every time I go near one of the flavours of it.

No C: drive showing up? You might be royally screwed, the boot record may be knacked or some other real important info. Full wipe and rebuild time. You're right not to go into IT, it's a right pain in the bollocks and there's no money in it.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread lasted this long without some smart arse saying "you should have bought a Mac"? I am impressed.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps