Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hilarious computer hijinks! (Page 8)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Hilarious computer hijinks!
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a touch higher than I prefer, but then I am not a big gamer so have little basis of comparison. And by "a touch", I mean single digits. But I am sure it also depends on the card itself.

I wouldn't sweat it until about 80, and wouldn't worry until pushing 90.

Actually, I guess you can rank it against the TOS warp scale, dividing by 10. 1-6 are cruise, 8 is official max, but we saw it hit 9 and at 10 it will just go in circles. At 14.1 the fan has been destroyed by fecal impact.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's often hard to judge temperature readings because they vary from motherboard to motherboard, usually depending on where the actual sensor is based.

A better judge might be the fans. Are they running full pelt all the time? How long after starting a game does it take for them to increase in speed? Is the paint peeling on your wall where the heat from the back of the case is hitting it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of hard to judge the speeds by ear since these things are pretty quiet and using SpeedFan is a bit deceptive since the second I alt-tab out of a game the temperature drops like five degrees.

I'm also a bit weary of using speedfan to accurately gauge the speeds since right now it's showing them at 1172, 990, 1570, 4441 & 0 RPM. That last one must be a faulty sensor because I can see them all running and the 4th one I suspect is actually the CPU water pump which I think runs off the CPUfan header.

I suppose I could use the charts function and see what the variance is with a game running.

I'm honestly a bit lost with this since my knowledge has always been amateur at best and this thing is showing me readings from 14 different sensors which are right now ranging from 25 to 57C.

I will say though, that I have the thing right next to me on my desk and it can get pretty warm sat here at times.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slight emergency. One of the three hard drives is making a terrifying twanging sound which I'm pretty sure means one is going to fail soonish. I have the case open in an attempt to listen and determine which one, but I honestly can't tell where the noise is coming from. I'd rather know which before it fails so I can save the data, so does anyone know a *quick* and easy way to do this?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

....aaaaand it's dead.

The good news is it was the 'D:' drive which mostly had my steam library installed, so I don't think I've lost anything irreplaceable.

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sucks. My last laptop died from a hard drive failure. I had most of my shit saved on an external drive, but still sucks. Replaced it with an Asus Q550L.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should be a reminder to have a solid backup solution for all your drives! [Wink]

I don't know what tools would be used on a PC anyway, so I don't have anything more useful than that.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I have most of my vital files backed up on an external drive, but the reality is it's just not practical to refresh it all that often.

In this case the only real inconvenience is having to re-install all those damn Skyrim mods!

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Uh-oh, now the other one is acting up! Note to self, in future, don't try and use old hard drives in a new machine!

Not to worry, the new 1TB drive should be more than enough. I assume I'll have to wipe it if I want to migrate the OS across since it needs to create a bootdisk partition, yes?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you can install Windows fine without having to format or wipe the hard drive first.

Question... Have you got SMARzt enabled in the Bios? It sometimes provides early earning signs of imminent hard drive failure.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Really? I thought if you partition a drive you have to reformat it in the process? If so, then would it be possibly to simply copy across the contents of C into the new partition? And what about the boot & system partitions; can they be copied across safely?

As for the BioS...I have no idea. Generally I don't like to bugger around with things I don't understand. :/

[ December 18, 2013, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Uh-oh. Clicky-clicky-twang...time to shut down and switch to the laptop! Luckily I was able to shrink the drive and create a 90GB partition plus over 200MB spare capacity before the death throws started, so I should be OK for space.

Given the drive is now unreliable, I take it the best thing to do is to remove it and re-install the OS from the recovery disc & system image I made? Does that also take care of the boot & sys partitions or do I have to jump through some more hoops?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well this is infuriating. Trying to install from the recovery disc and it's not reading the image backup! I have it on both my health HD and my external and there's no option for me to manually enter the file path. The only options it's giving me are "search for a system image on the network" or "install a driver". Tried the last one in every visible file in the backup folder to no effect.

Bloody machines!

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Why are you partitioning the drive? If it's because you want to have separate OS and data drives? Are you installing multiple operating systems? Or is it just because Windows needs a boot partition?

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that if you only have one OS, then none of this applies. I think that Windows can just use one partition for everything. The easiest way to see is to try it. Assuming you're using Windows 7 or 8, I think that the installer will tell you if you're about to wipe all your files. At worst, I think it might rename any Windows folders you have on the hard drive.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Yeah, I habitually have the OS on a partition all of it's own. I forget the exact reason, but I was always told it was safer and easier to recover from errors that way. Maybe that's an obsolete precaution these days, I'm honestly not sure.

Anyway, I ended up reinstalling Win7 from scratch which is a bit of a pain. Still have no clue why the backup image didn't work!

Not out of the woods yet though as it appears to have thrown up some teething problems. Specifically it looks like Avast is slowing down my internet connection, youtube buffering and even interrupting downloads. I don't know if the culprit is really Avast or there's just some conflict between it, Chrome and/or flash, but given that it's even messing with Windows update downloads I think it's a safe bet.

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps