Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hilarious computer hijinks! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Hilarious computer hijinks!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
That's what ERD commander is for, it's a live disc built for Windows and looks like Windows, so no hassles. It also has Windows repair and tweak tools built right in. Linux is a bastard nightmare to work, I hate it with a passion every time I go near one of the flavours of it.

No C: drive showing up? You might be royally screwed, the boot record may be knacked or some other real important info. Full wipe and rebuild time. You're right not to go into IT, it's a right pain in the bollocks and there's no money in it.

Already done. Crammed everything into discs and my two, very small external drives and wiped out "first" physical drive. Gone mostly smoothly, but I bet it'll be weeks before I have all those little apps and tools you too often take for granted back in place. On the up side I installed the latest display drivers and the windows installer thingy worked fine. So mission accomplished I suppose.

Oh and smug mac users can go to the special hell reserved for hammond organ players, Man United fans and daytime TV presenters.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it makes you feel any better, one of my girlfriends friends has a Macbook Pro. Less than one year old, and it stopped working. She sent it off to be repaired, and they did indeed fix it in the same style that all cheap repair companies fix computers. They wiped it and reinstalled a fresh OS, losing all her data.

Our similarities unite us!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother is a mac freak and we're always sniping back and forth. The reality is though that he's had way more hardware issues with his various macs over the years than I've ever had serious software issues....loose heat sinks notwithstanding. [Wink]

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Macs are nicely made, but getting software or upgrades for them is chronic. They couldn't be more annoying if they ran on Unicorn tears. PC's I can get upgrades for from the local corner shop. There's a reason why they have a tiny fraction of the market, and it's not just the sod-off pricing.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, boy, those Mac users sure don't know what they are missing. The fools. Proudly typing away, working on the stuff they want to be doing, glibly enjoying their machines when they could be erasing and reinstalling their operating systems and sweating over viruses and malware. There's not a day that goes by when I don't think of how much fun I'm missing out on just because I'm running this clean and beautiful and preposterously stable OS on beautifully crafted hardware. Brings tears to my eyes.
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one makes virus's for Macs because 96 of every 100 computers out there are PCs. You aim for them and not the niche market. Yes, they're well made and look lovely. No, they're not invincible, they're just not worth bothering with.

As for Linux/Unix, it's hard enough to get them working when you're sitting right in front of them with an instruction manual, let alone trying to do anything remotely.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My main beef with Macs is that they cost twice the price of a PC. Twice the price! I could buy something for that price!

My love/hate relationship with iPhones is intense. I think they are wonderful, amazing devices. I think everyone who owns one is a tit who can't KEEP IT IN THEIR POCKET FOR MORE THAN 10 SECONDS. I want to own one. What do I do?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Become a tit?
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Join us tits, it's easy (and expensive, as all Apple products are). I hate Apple more than most, but I would chop yer hands off if you tried to take my iPhone away from me. I cant keep it in my pocket because I'm using it for so many things all the time. It's my clock, my radio, my guitar tuner, my satnav, my telnet client, my WiFi finder, my iPod, my solitaire game and my video camera.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I'll stick with my sony ericsson thanks! It beeps when someone wants to shout at me, hence it stays in my pocket. Works like a charm.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"I cant keep it in my pocket because I'm using it for so many things all the time. It's my clock, my radio, my guitar tuner, my satnav, my telnet client, my WiFi finder, my iPod, my solitaire game and my video camera."

That's the problem. You don't need to check your twitter feed while we're having a game of Fifa. You don't need to look at Facebook while we're out having dinner. You don't need to go on the imdb every single time a conversation comes up about a film at the pub. You don't need to look at the AppStore WHILE PEOPLE ARE TALKING DIRECTLY TO YOU.

While you are by yourself, go crazy. When you're with people, keep it in your pocket.

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Oh, I have no problem with that. I'm old school, I despise people who consider their phones more important than the people in front of them. Teenagers are the worst, it's never out of their hands. Someone needs to hand out more slaps.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate all that crap- riding public transportation, I have overheard so many things I never wanted to hear- just a week back everyone at the supermarket's deli got to listen to half a woman's conversation about how she's cheating on her boyfriend.
Why cant people just take that shit outside? Or wait for someplace vaguely more private...

I've gotten so annoyed that I've left my cell either at home or off when I'm not making a call- I just return people's calls now- and not in public.

What's worse,here in Flori-duh, the cell phone lobby has managed to block leglislation that would make it illegal to TEXT while driving.
Fuck's sake- if they cant refrain from texting or web surfing or whatever while operating a car, we're all doomed.
DOOMED I SAY!

Bring on the zombies.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

^That is exactly why I plug in my mp3 player on public transport. Audio books work best at blocking out random chatter as you have to actually pay attention, whereas music is just background noise you use to drown it out through sheer volume.

Mine was a fairly long commute so I went through a lot of books in a fairly short space of time. I think I got through all 30 odd Discworld books in just over 5 weeks!

--------------------

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

How the hell can you text while driving? That would be harder than juggling while driving. I can only assume the state legislature want to kill off a few Floridians for their own nefarious reasons.

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps