Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hilarious computer hijinks! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Hilarious computer hijinks!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its easier than you'd think. [Razz] And no, I don't do it often.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's still really, really dangerous though. Is talking on a mobile illegal while driving over there yet?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my province neither texting nor talking on the phone while driving is illegal yet, I don't think. Although I pull over when someone calls.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
^That is exactly why I plug in my mp3 player on public transport. Audio books work best at blocking out random chatter as you have to actually pay attention, whereas music is just background noise you use to drown it out through sheer volume.

Mine was a fairly long commute so I went through a lot of books in a fairly short space of time. I think I got through all 30 odd Discworld books in just over 5 weeks!

You and I think alike- my tiny Scandisk is all that saves me- I have several dresden Files books and the entire Radiolab catalogue.
I've got about an hour each way a couple of times a week.
In South Florida most of the chatter is in creole or spanish- which seems louder somehow- maybe they're just passionate people riding the bus. [Wink]

Are you downloading the books from someplace in particular?

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*drags the topic, slightly off target*

Problem: the PW has many .avi files but his laptop Windows Media player doesn't have the codex for those movies.
Task: Where can the PW find the codex for WMP to play with visuals for .avi files?

you may return to what ever you were masturbating to... [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go download and run the K-Lite codec pack. It has the popular codecs you'll need for 99% of applications.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if that doesn't work, the Combined Community Codec Pack should.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Teh PW
Member # 1203

*nods* i'll do it when im back home in May. its nice to have intranets here via the USO but it's still too small for real DLing...

--------------------

Teh PW
Member # 1203

DLed the K-lite (full), Ax [Big Grin] weeeeeee, Macross frontier in view agains!

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a clarifying point, avi isn't really a "codec" as such, but a wrapper for something else. I think. Someone else could explain that better.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would explaining logical layers help get his movie working?

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or just download "The KMPlayer", which is little known but badass. It works much like old versions of WMP but has all the codecs onboard, and they're good, too . . . to the point that on an old machine of mine where the CCCP or K-Lite codecs would still bog down on HD files the codecs for The KMPlayer would just play them effortlessly.

And you can reset the commands to do whatever you want, from frame-by-frame jog with the mouse wheel to whatever else you want. After dealing with professional-grade products that don't have frame-by-frame I found it entirely refreshing, and now will use nothing else.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For fun today as I'm pretty sure my graphics card has given up the ghost, but I hereby submit the facts to you lot for a collective second opinion.
Basically, when I try and reboot, I get a long beep and two short (which my MB manual says means "monitor or graphics card error") and surprise, surprise, there's no signal on either the monitor or the TV (which is liked via a VGA lead.) The PC is defiantly booting properly as I can hear the windows start-up sounds from the speakers and the monitor itself seams to know the difference between this and having the cable unplugged from the card (yes I checked all the connections.) I also removed and remounted the RAM and graphics card, the latter, as I discovered had it's fan CAKED is dust (the damn thing faces down so I couldn't really see the state it was in until after I'd taken it off.) I carefully cleaned up the fan and heatsink but still beeping and no video.

Anyone have any bright ideas, or do I need to go graphics card shopping? Actually, now that I think about it, I did notice some weird graphics problems while playing ME2 the other day; purple...stuff at the edge of the screen, more frequent crashes where before it had been pretty damn stable. Yeah, I think it's cooked...

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go shopping- upgrade now and save the trouble in a couple of years...maybe make a monthly check of your computer's fan.

I also have problems- I'm not online at home right now and some shit was on a USB I save stuff on at work -some dumb bunny had one of our computers crawling with bugs thanks to her music which she had on the harddrive and it went from my USB to my desktop.
I cant update my antivirus stuff because I'm not online and it's an annoying pop-up saying "missing shortcut" whenever I use the CD or USB slots.

sigh...I guess it the old "re-install" gag for me...

Hmm...can I put Spybot or something on a USB and install it on my PC from there?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can run a lot of programs directly off a USB drive. I keep some diagnostic programs on mine just for that very reason. AVG, Spybot, Adaware, The Ultimate Troubleshooter to name a few.

Rev, ya that sounds like your graphics cards is bricked. ME2 makes my pair of 4890's run pretty warm, not as bad as crysis or the MWLL mod though.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps