Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hilarious computer hijinks! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Hilarious computer hijinks!
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In all honesty I'm surprised it's done as well as it did. It's only an nvida 8600GT. I initially had 4gb of RAM but one of the sticks turned out to be corrupt so I had to pull it which brought me down to just 2gb.

Problem is that I'm not working right now so I can't afford to do what I should and do a proper upgrade. I'll probably just get another 8600 as they're relatively cheep these days and see about getting an 8gb upgrade for the RAM without breaking the bank.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and for my next question, since I don't keep track of the latest hardware (or even the next to latest) and given that this is what I already have and doesn't appear to be sold new any more, what would be my next best bet?
Not looking for a super powerful card-can't afford it for one and not sure my PSU & motherboard could handle one even if I could-but I'd like something reliable and likely to remain useful for at least the next few years.

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now question? I just bought a HP Pavilion Elite (the HPE-410y)... and it didnt come with the media package (well, it doesnt have the cable-in mount so i suppose it does have the channel thingie either)... i have 2 older models from 2004-5 and i can scrap one of them for the media components & the huge mechanical external HD that goes in it's big bay on the left corner of the front...

my question is, will it work if i modify the newer bay (the doner CPU HP pavilion is the 1170n, with the bay, and a CD & DVD driver...)

if i take this unit to a local (not Best Buy, though i bought all my CPU's from best Buy) dealer/maintainer, you think its possible to caniblize from the 1170n to upgrade my HPE 410y

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! Others are having computer problems...recently had an issue with one of my PC's where I couldn't connect to the Net and all applications were coming up with an error...think I got some sort of virus or other nasty thing while surfing and it wasn't caught... [Mad]

Anyway, did a rebuild but now I'm having issues with my wireless USB device - keeps disconnecting from the Net and using another connection that my ISP has recently introduced...and then there's the issue of my PC "losing" the device and saying "new device found - gimme drivers". [Mad]

Fortunately I'll be getting my first house soon so I'll be converting to a wired connection but I'm very annoyed with this turn of events - everything was working fine but now, even after the rebuild, it's iffy... [Frown] Wish I knew how to get my wireless software to ignore the other connections...just can't figure it out. [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

well the only part useable was the HD, the other parts because of thier connection type, unusable. which is fine, it became a source of donor parts for my dad's 'new' machine under the TV...

now the bad news...

after a week of glorious, GLORIOUS gaming (STO ships with little white blip-blip running lights, the warp cores going GOOY BOOM! DDO water reflective's under my toon's skirts LoL), the CPU died....

just the _ _ _ at the top left corner of my screen. So off to Best-Buy i go, to reinstall the OS and likely (i suspect) that removal of the older HD...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear Pensive...that sounds awful...but how does the CPU dying result in the OS needing to be reinstalled? (likely a novice question)

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

i told em to wipe it (both HD's no data saving) & reinstall... just means that i gotta spend time to reload games plus the probably updates that best Buy doesnt update... sucks. playing games on the laptop but... ugh.

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Hey, it's that time of the decade again where I try to figure out what RAM to buy and since I'm sure I'll never get this right, I'm asking you lot for (almighty Dagon help me) advice on what I should be getting.

So, what I have is a GA-P35-DS3L/S3L motherboard (at least that's what it says on the box) and it currently has 2GB installed that I'm looking to up to 8GB (I'm running XP now and I realise anything above 4 is a bit of a waste, but I plan on upgrading to Windows 7 before the end of the year anyway.)

Now the manual says it has four "1.8v DDR2 DIMM sockets, dual channel memory architecture" and support for "DDR2 1066/800/667 MHz memory modules."

I've looked around and found a few candidates I think should work, but I've buggered this up before and so I'm looking for some second opinions. So, this load of numbers mean anything to you lot?

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DDR2 1066/800/667 MHz bit is the bus speed that your board can handle for RAM. So, depending on price, you'd want to invest in DDR2 1066 MHz RAM. I'm not sure if mobos still have an issue of max RAM per slot (I remember the days where boards could only handle single-sided RAM) so that is something you need to look into. But, seeing as how the description says "dual channel memory architecture", it probably handles double-sided RAM no problem. So, you should be able to put in four 2GB sticks and be good to go.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The performance advantage between 800 and 1066 isn't really in proportion to the price difference. If you really want 1066 and have the cash, sure, but you won't notice much difference in games or general use, outside the 2Gb->8Gb difference.

I got 8 Gbs of higher-end Kingston modules last winter, overclocked them and everything, got a few frames/sec better performance in games, as well as slightly faster application startup times. Then I upgraded from my old ATI 4870 to a 6950 video card, got about 60-70 more frames/sec at same settings.

So with RAM, as well as with SSD:s, don't put all eggs in one basket. I know I won't upgrade to SSD hard drive until I've bought a new motherboard that handles SATA-6Gbps, or the new SSD will get very bottlenecked.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Holy crap it's been almost a year and I'm still buggering about with this!

Well that's not technically true, I do keep meaning to sort the PC out but other stuff keeps cropping up and...well, yeah.

Alright, so for my next attempt at upgrading, I've been looking at getting four of these things. How big of a mistake would that be? [Wink]

I still haven't gotten around to buying a copy of Windows 7 yet either (I'm assuming the 64 bit version is the one to get for working with more that 4GB of RAM, yes?) Anyone have any opinions? Seriously, I haven't so much as looked at a PC mag in half a decade and am so far behind the times it's not even funny!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Windows 7 can handle >4GB of RAM in 32-bit form, but I'm not sure. However, if you're building a new computer with new components chances are its going to be 64-bit anyways.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need a 64-bit operating system to make use of >= 4GB (">=" because in practice, even 4GB cannot fully be addressed on a 32-bit OS for various technical reasons) of physical memory, win7-32 is just as limited.

Running a 64-bit OS also does not mean that all your old 32-bit applications will automatically be able to allocate more than 4GB, those need to be recompiled (in the typical Windows world read "repurchased", assuming the software is even available in 64-bit form) to gain any tangible benefit besides giving the OS itself more lebensraum.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman's right about the memory limit.

Then again, very few applications need more than 4 GB of RAM (even these days). Unless you're doing serious movie, photo, or music editing, individual applications probably won't run into that 4 GB limit. So having the 64-bit OS running 32-bit apps is not entirely a bad thing.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a 64 system with 6GB of ram- nice and fast but playing older games can be a pain.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps