Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Hilarious computer hijinks! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Hilarious computer hijinks!
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen. I also have a system with Windows 7 64-bit that hates any program that dates before 2006/2007. New games look pretty though. I'm currently having some trouble with Quicktime, seems its conflicting with Flash when trying to view certain online videos.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, that tears it. My inability to play the new X-Com has convinced me it's time to upgrade to Win7!

Just asking for a consensus to make sure I'm picking the correct RAM (my specs are back a page.) In short, will this work on my motherboard?

Also, how badly does switching to 64bit bugger things up?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents both have 64bit versions of Win7 running on their laptops and there really isn't that much of a difference. Other than, when you get any software it has to be 64bit compatible. Had a hell of a time getting Office on there before I figured that out.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend, I'm more concerned about your motherboard and why you still need DDR2800. The standard these days is DDR3. If I think what I think you have, I think it's time to get a whole brand new computer instead.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Don't have the cash mate. How much of a difference would it really make anyway? According to the specs my board can handle upto 8GB at 1066MhZ which I'm given to understand is plenty.

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
My parents both have 64bit versions of Win7 running on their laptops and there really isn't that much of a difference. Other than, when you get any software it has to be 64bit compatible. Had a hell of a time getting Office on there before I figured that out.

I was thinking more in terms of software I already have ceasing to work on a 64bit system.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a distinct possibility. Does the software in question offer 64bit versions?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well my main concern is Paint Shop Pro X, which is about 7 years old, so I doubt it. I'm also a bit concerned about my steam games. I mean would I have to re-download everything? Actually, come to think of it I don't remember any program I've installed ever asking me to select 32 or 64 bit.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All 64-bit versions of Windows include a compatibility layer (called WoW64) so 32-bit software can run on them unmodified.

If some program does break it will be of old age.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly certain my mum is running PSPX on her Win7 x64 machine at home. A lot of companies haven't made 64-bit versions of their software yet, because the 32-bit version runs fine and the performance increase wouldn't be enough to justify it. That's changing as time has gone on, but the number of 64-bit versions (as opposed to 64-bit compatible) is still fairly small.

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:

The 32-bit version of Office 2010 and 2007 runs fine on 64-bit Windows 7. I'm pretty sure the 2003 version does as well. There is a 64-bit version of 2010, but we're not using it at work at the moment as it breaks a couple of third-party plug-ins, and it will cause out accountant guys to make spreadsheets 50 billion rows long.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

OK, so it finally happened. It is dead, gone, deceased, my PC is a late household appliance!

So....yeah. I'm building a new one and thought I'd best consult the brain trust and make sure I'm not doing anything drastically wrong in my selection of components.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
RAM: G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX
HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda
Case: AvP X-Striker A5 Mid Tower

I'm pretty sure the PSU & graphics card I still have are OK, so no worries there (hopefully!)

The OS may be a little tricky as while I do have a legit copy of Win7, it's one of those XP/Vista upgrade copies and it's on a HD who's original computer is long gone. I gather MS don't like you installing on more than one machine so I think the trick will be installing the new motherboard drivers manually before doing a reinstall/repair.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Legally, as long as you still have your XP/Vista licence key, you can install it fine on a new computer. You might have to phone them up but they will activate it. Otherwise you might try blagging it with them. Do you have the licence key for the Win 7 upgrade version? And do you have the DVDs?

Are you doing a full reinstall, or are you going to copy your old hard drive image over to your new machine?

One piece of hardware I would strongly recommend - a solid state drive. You can get 256GB ones for a bit over £100 nowadays, and they make a HUGE difference to your day to day life.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Legally, as long as you still have your XP/Vista licence key, you can install it fine on a new computer. You might have to phone them up but they will activate it. Otherwise you might try blagging it with them. Do you have the licence key for the Win 7 upgrade version? And do you have the DVDs?

Are you doing a full reinstall, or are you going to copy your old hard drive image over to your new machine?

That's where things get sticky. Basically what I have is the HDD I ripped out of my mum's old Dell desktop machine after she decided to get rid of it. It was originally pre-installed with Vista and later upgraded to Win7 (and yeas, I still have that disc.) Problem is that I imagine the Vista code was probably on a sticker in the case, which as far as I know ended up down the recycling centre.

The plan was to either just shove the HD in the new machine, manually copy over the appropriate chipset drivers and whatnot and hop the OS will run long enough to install them properly and maybe reinstall the OS from the disc.

Not sure if there's another way around it without resorting to...uh..."other means" but I'm open to suggestions.

quote:
One piece of hardware I would strongly recommend - a solid state drive. You can get 256GB ones for a bit over £100 nowadays, and they make a HUGE difference to your day to day life.
Forgive me, but I don't really keep up with the tech trends. What's one of those and why are they so useful?

I do have a neat little 1TB USB3 samsung external drive that I've been using to salvage my data ready for the new machine, so storage space shouldn't be an issue.

Just to clarify though; have I made any poor selections with that hardware? I'm a bit wary of dropping over £500 only to find out something's incompatible or notoriously unreliable or something.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can read the Wikipedia article about SSDs if you want the details, but, basically, it's a lot like a flash drive upscaled to hard drive size. It doesn't have moving parts inside, so it's faster and less likely to break.

As for the Windows issue, I think the pre-installed OEM versions often (always?) are (license-wise, anyway) restricted to the computer they originally came with, aren't they?

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An SSD will greatly improve program loading times, and if you install your OS on it, your comp's boot time will be much faster as well.

I'm told that if an SSD breaks however, there is no practical way to retrieve the data from it. That's why I keep all my documents on a normal hardrive and just run programs off the SSD.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

It does look useful, but I'm already at the upper limit of my budget so it's not really worth it at this point. Especially if I'm going to end up having to buy a new copy of Win7.

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps