Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Osama Bin Laden: DEAD! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Osama Bin Laden: DEAD!
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the conspiracy theorists are basically calling the U.S. Navy SEALS a bunch of liars?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe people are celebrating the death of a human being. It's sickening. What exactly makes us in the right instead of him if we're going to act exactly like his followers, cheering in the streets when The Enemy is dead? Where are the burning Afghani flags?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Somehow I don't think many New York retailers would stock Afghani flags. Even if they did, burning them would just make people look ignorant since he wasn't an Afghan and nor was he killed in Afghanistan, nor for that matter is Afghanistan an enemy nation.

As for the celebrating; while yes it's a bit distasteful and the timing is a bit 'Wag the Dog' suspicious I think the death of someone responsible for mass murder is at least forgiveable.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel, thats what people do. you question human actions that we as a species have conducted for eons.

Might Makes Right.

and i'll leave it at that.

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't say people are celebrating his death, for the most part. I think its more that a terrible crime has been avenged, and what has seemed like a fool's crusade which has cost the lives of so many people finally bore some fruit. I mean of course it's very complicated situation, and we're not out of it yet. But this is a far cry from the hate mongering that was going on with the "9/11 mosque". I mean I think a feel a sense of pride that the crowds at Washington D.C. and NYC didn't degenerate into a "let's hate on Muslims" rally, from what I saw at least.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of non-americans from many countries that have had family members killed by that nutcase's terror group are also celebrating- he was a fuckin' monster and he deserved to die.

I dont see any moral or ethical issue with celebrating justice being done...and if Bin Laden getting killed after having killed thousands of innocent people is not justice, then nothing is.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

Is it right to celebrate?

well Daniels isnt the only one facing this condundrom. im not saying he's right but his position is not without merit, when you consider the bigger picture...

--------------------

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He wasn't just an enemy of a nation. He was an enemy of the ideals of freedom and peace.

Is it somewhat distatefull that people are glad he's dead? Maybe, but it's closure on an event that changed millions of people's lives, and not for the better.

It's not celebrating the death of a human being. Human emplies some spark of good in him. He was nothing but a bastard, and now he's a dead bastard.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avenged, eh? Another thing I'll never understand. I've never felt better when someone who hurt me got hurt. I take the word of other people that they do, though, because I can't prove otherwise. I guess it would make sense if it did make you feel better for losing your wife or husband or whatever, but I can't imagine it really does.

And Saudi flags, whatever. You get my point. We're symbolizing a man here like it matters that he's dead - terrorism is going to stop, Freedom and Democracy will return to the Free World, the economy will recover, and all those people who burned to death or were crushed to death slowly for days are going to spring back to life, all because some old fucker with kidney disease was shot. He was not the enemy, he never was, he was just one man. Hate is the enemy.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's about closure more than revenge- if it were about revenge, tey would have brought him back alive to be publicly tortured and executed- then displayed. That's more the Roman way, than the current idea of justice.

BUt, on a strictly emotional level, we yearn for such a punsihment- no amount of personal suffering can equal the grief thsi man has caused- obviously he was amoral enough to justify his actions to himself.

Meanwhile in the real world, no one I've seen has burned anyone's flag or holy book over this- the guy was universaly hated in all cultures- sure, he had his adherents (so did Hitler and Stalin- big deal) but overall people are looking at this in a more positive light..
I've seen no condemnation abroad towards the people that gathered in the hours after the announcment of Bin laden's death.

If it leads to some moral introspection, so much the better- we, as a nation, have been in knew-jerk response mode for a decade and that's got to change.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Yeah, I yearn for bad guys to get what they deserve, too....then I realize no matter what they have done to them, no matter what pain or death they go through, they're still gonna be the same evil fuck they were and never feel bad about it, so...so what? Punishment isn't inherently 'just' to me, I guess. I think the modern idea of justice is just as silly as revenge....things are ok cuz he's "paid his debt to society"...by being in a room for a few years while I pay for his upkeep....yeahhh....the balance has been restored.
Teh PW
Member # 1203

So Jason... do the mexicans conduct Romanisk style of revenge then?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
So Jason... do the mexicans conduct Romanisk style of revenge then?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh, not just answering his question with a question, but answering his question with his question? Meta!
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had first discounted these pics as a prank, but if CNN endorses them, I guess they're real?

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/04/bin.laden.compound/index.html?hpt=T2

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps