Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » United States of Arda... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: United States of Arda...
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TL;DR. You were saying about Alice Springs?
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A kid died for nothing more than the color skin man. I realize this thread has gone a little off topic, but come on.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read three stories about unimaginable grief yesterday, one of them about a slave woman in Mauritania whose "owner" threw her infant daughter out into the desert while the mother was out doing chores, where the baby died from ants and sunlight, because the owner thought the baby (whom he had given her during one of the rapes) was distracting her from her real job, tending to his and his familys' every need.

So I didn't finish this one, caught a blurb about it on CNN, had my fill of it. If there's more development and perhaps something is even done about this case, that would be great, and would merit an entire thread of its own.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So according to this map...I'd be supporting the Patriots? No thanks...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Nim
Member # 205

Well look on the bright side, they wouldn't be playing using a ball but with pikes and axes. The field goal can be scored through with anything that comes off the opponents during play. And in the finals against the Kansas Dunlendings, you get to join in, if you are of sound body and can lift the sword belonging to your father and his fathers before him. Also, Rihanna will sing the "Lay of Luthien" before playoff. Bring a chair.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
I read three stories about unimaginable grief yesterday, one of them about a slave woman in Mauritania whose "owner" threw her infant daughter out into the desert while the mother was out doing chores, where the baby died from ants and sunlight, because the owner thought the baby (whom he had given her during one of the rapes) was distracting her from her real job, tending to his and his familys' every need.

So I didn't finish this one, caught a blurb about it on CNN, had my fill of it. If there's more development and perhaps something is even done about this case, that would be great, and would merit an entire thread of its own.

Yes, Mauritania is called the last bastion of slavery (at least openly practiced and accepted slavery anyway).

It's stories like that...sometimes I really wonder if establishing a far-flung Empire is not the only way to drag humanity up a few notches- look at India- the British were occasionally ruthless, but their influence is undeniable- world leaders speak of intervention here or there for "humanitarian reasons" while places like Mauritania remain stuck in the 1400's.

Might it not be better to topple as many oppressive systems as possible for a generation or three before cutting them loose to manage their own affairs?

Sometimes I think a world government like that is inevitible as a way forward- after all, in very short time (overall) humanity has fought several brutal industrialized wars- generally resulting in more democratic systems and an interconnected world community.

Sorta the end of Lord of the Rings- massive war leading to a period of rebuilding and peace.

Or is it just a lull betwen wars? Would the Tolkien world (eventually) degenerate into warring nations as human nature discards lessons of the past?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another "Stand Your Ground" travesty. -
quote:
The incident took place on Jan. 25, when Roteta and another youth were behind Garcia’s apartment at 201 SW 18th Ct. According to police, Roteta was stealing Garcia’s truck radio.
Garcia, alerted by a roommate, grabbed a large knife and ran downstairs. He chased Roteta, then stabbed him in a confrontation that lasted less than a minute, according to court documents.
The stabbing was caught on video. Roteta was carrying a bag filled with three stolen radios, but no weapon other than a pocketknife, which was unopened in his pocket and which police said he never brandished.
After initially denying involvement in the man’s death, Garcia admitted to homicide detectives that he attacked Roteta even though “he actually never saw a weapon.”
Garcia claimed Roteta made a move that he interpreted as a move to stab him — so he struck first.
Prosecutors and police have argued since the Stand Your Ground law passed that it would give vigilantes free rein to strike first and ask questions later.

quote:
Miami police Sgt. Ervens Ford, who supervised the Garcia case, was floored when told Wednesday of the judge’s decision. Ford called the law and the decision by Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Beth Bloom a “travesty of justice.”
“How can it be Stand Your Ground?” said Ford, a longtime homicide investigator who on his off-day on Monday plans to attend a rally in the Trayvon case in Sanford with his two teenage sons. “It’s on [surveillance] video! You can see him stabbing the victim . . .”

In Florida, if some unarmed car thief steals your car and you chase them down and stab them to death, then lie about it to police and then change your story to "gosh, I thought he had a knife"...why, that's "self defense", dontcha know?
Not only did he "stand his ground", he ran over a block to kill the guy- bonus points!

Pretty awful if police officers are marching in rallies over it.

Small wonder the NRA's lobbiest wrote the law how she did- a lot of people are buying guns right about now! If any ass can kill you and walk, we better all be armed- since the law is now toothless.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This makes me a little worry about visiting Disneyworld next year with my family. Hopefully people would be sensible enough to not go around killing each other in the amusement parks.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

In the immortal words of Tom the cat (from Tom & Jerry)
DONT... YOU... BELIEVE... IT!

Honestly, such violence is not common- it's just that no one is held responsible for it when it does happen.
I've never heard of any shootings at Disney World...but then, their security could take care of any evidence.
All retired special forces guys- it's scary.

Those guys in the big character costumes? Built in P90s in each arm of that kevlar and ceremic armored suit.

Think on that when you ask one for a photograph with your kid. Something Awful nails it.

[ March 22, 2012, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps