Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » So, Life, and stuff (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: So, Life, and stuff
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to newly-marrieds and just-about-to-be marrieds! [Smile]

Yes they aren't words. Shut up, that's why.

Oh hey, I finally finished my PhD (last year). If any of you even knew that I was doing one.

Would have been interesting to meet some of you Flare-ites - although, it's strange as this forum never had images of each poster - I really don't know what any of you actually look like. Meeting up would be difficult. I like this place. It's our little bastion of the late-20th century internet. An elegant board for a more civilised age. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Before the dark times. Before the Facebook empire.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really listening: How did Myspace die?

Any way, enough of this. It's silly. Well done Fabrux, many congratulations!

And best wishes for next month Dukhat.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and well done Dr Andrew - I hope the experience didn't leave you a withered human shell. Mine hasn't yet but I have 6 months to go on mine, so any thing can happen!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GB - yeah it kinda did, to be honest. Keep it up! I am still... 'getting over it'. Let's just say I'm learning to speak more positive about the experience. I mean bloody hell, I GREW for the experience... I'm now an expert trouble shooter, but it was tough, more than it should have been. Supervisor leaving and moving to the other side of the country didn't help matters. Anyway I got through it, I produced a thesis that I am absolutely proud of. I literally became a world expert in one small area, and I didn't skimp on anything. Everything I wrote in that thesis I was proud of. End result A 388 page BOOK - with 6 typos. Yay?? for perfectionism? HA! [Smile]

All the best with yours, Ginger. I'm sure you'll be fine. Feel free to vent here. [Smile]

@MinutiaeMan - I do find myself wanting to 'like' posts here sometimes.

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Would have been interesting to meet some of you Flare-ites - although, it's strange as this forum never had images of each poster - I really don't know what any of you actually look like. Meeting up would be difficult. I like this place. It's our little bastion of the late-20th century internet. An elegant board for a more civilised age. [Smile]

I'm pretty sure there was at least one 'post your pic' type threads here. I want to say it was a post your location/pic thread where I got my signature. Of course that was also back in 2005.

But yeah, there's a bit of nostalgia with Flare. It's nice to go back to...

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
...Before the dark times. Before the Facebook empire.

I swear, not only am I not on that thing but I've got a compulsion to start driving across town to deliver hand written letters from a quill pen on parchment sealed with wax instead of texting or emailing my friends.

Anyway...ongrats to the newlyweds and...fuck, wasn't Andrew like fifteen when I joined?

What exactly did you do your thesis on, man? Please make us proud and say it was on methods to judge spacial comparisons in meters based on minimal onscreen evidence.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Well, hopefully we'll eventually see a BOBW Blu-Ray bells-and-whistles edition so we can rehash all those priceless debates of ship design, purpose and size.

Sean, you should go for the ultimate in snark and do a research paper on paper research- get into the minutae of pulp content, brightness and opacity.

Just sayin.

Heh...wouldn't that be something. I think I'd rather stab myself in the eyeballs with rusty thumbtacks than write about such a dreadfully boring subject though. I've already got some elements of history that are enough of a snoozefest...

Congrats to all the freshly married and soon to be married folks around here!

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just popped in for the first time in goodness knows how long, was feeling nostalgic probably, and saw this thread - so thought I'd post an update about myself too.

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about the health issues in your family Lee; I hope it all gets better for you all.

As for me, I married in '07, bought a house, and have two children - a boy and a girl. Yusuf, the eldest, is also scarily intelligent for a 2 and a half year old; the youngest is only 9 months old for now though she has her moments. Otherwise I am just working away.

Oh for those days as a carefree 20 year old student in Bristol, spending almost all of my free time on here! :-)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

My PhD was a combination of molecular biology, cell biology, protein chemistry and neuroscience.

You can read it here (If you have an education institution access... I think)...

http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:254360

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're saying you just bulshitted your way through it any since no one caught on?

Impressive...Most impressive.
 -

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

LOL what? Heheh most PhD's ARE full of bullshit - however a lot of thought went into writing that thesis. I even cleverly brought down some smarmy Americans who have been publishing dodgey and meaningless results - with REFERENCES and discovered an error that crept into publications back in 1969... I read everything published from 1957 to 2011 in one area... someone 'claimed' something in 1969 and then people just took this as fact. One guy even based his entire argument around a fact that he read wrong from a paper in 1974. He got it around the wrong way. If you then plug in the correct finding (might I add - from a 2-page publication... how can you get that wrong?) his whole flow chart and argument breaks down. I was happy with what I submitted and wasn't pushed into anything. It took a little longer but I ended up with only 6 typos in a 388 page thesis. [Smile] I wrote a BOOK! Ha! [Smile]

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was even a "guess the voice" competition back in the day... Everyone guessed me really easily.

Hamayoon has spawned! It's amazing how time moves on.

There used to be a Facebook group page for Flareites, not sure if it still exists? You probably have to go onto it and 'Like' it or some similar absurdity.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also have to be on Facebook. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have indeed spawned. Time does move on, and very quickly nowadays - those ten years since I last regularly posted have flown by.

You put on an American accent during that Guess the Voice competition if I remember correctly. [Smile]

Are you still in touch with Joe and Liam?

[ August 30, 2012, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Orion Syndicate ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps