Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » MIT Prof: BMD won't work and the military knows it (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: MIT Prof: BMD won't work and the military knows it
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know these posts where someone shows up, tosses out a URL to a news article, and then expects good discussion often don't go anywhere. But, uh, read this and I think you'll see that its becoming more and more clear that ballistic missile defence is the greatest single waste of money in the history of human civilization. Now it looks like MIT brass have substantial reason to believe that the good ol' military industrial complex is getting aeronautical engineers to falsify results. Joy.

Anyway, even if BMD worked as proposed, it would completely destabilize international security and likely increase the odds of a warhead going off inside the US. Now it looks like that the science is being fudged, Patriot-missile-style, and the American taxpayer is being taken for the biggest ride of their lives. (I mean, if you're really ready to drop that kind of money, why not literally buy everyt bloody thing in North Korea outright.)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice the lack of evidence...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
After months of demanding an inquiry into the affair, Ed Crawley, the chairman of MIT?s aeronautics and astronautics department, has reversed previous refusals and recommended an investigation.

The nation's most prestigious technical university decides to audit itself and wades into a minefield ready to air out official military secrets they could get in deep shit over. At stake is its reputation for academic integrity and the possibility of betraying its most lucrative sponsor. Yeah. Clearly just a wild goose chase.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIT seriously sux0rs. (this is unrelated to the article, I just wanted to mention it)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

An afternoon I spent there was absolutely terrifying.

--------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a visiting professor from MIT teaching a class here at WPI:

Professor: Y'know, at MIT, they have these chalkboards that slide up and down...
Student: Sorry we're not "MIT".

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aethelwer:
Y'know, at MIT, they have these chalkboards that slide up and down...

Truly the leading edge of technology. What's next, the butter churn?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wheel, I think.

All that aside, it makes sense to invest billions into some new technology. Will give the economy a kick. Who cares if it works or not. (And the south will rise again, for those of you who were wondering).

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd bet the money already invested has produced some nifty spinof technology.

[Edit:]
I'd win.
from pdma.org:

quote:
What does the Star Wars missile-defense system have to do with the mail that gets delivered to your home and office? The answer lies in an electron beam technology that can zap bacteria like anthrax. The Sure Beam subsidiary of San Diego-based Titan Corp recently announced a $40 million contract with the U.S. Postal Service to deliver machines capable of irradiating the mail. The technology was originally developed for the national defense mission but is now most notable for killing food-borne bugs and sterilizing medical equipment
and it's also being used by the Canadians in their "Bullwinkle Defense System"

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,50437,00.html

and
http://eastbay.bizjournals.com/eastbay/stories/2002/07/29/focus1.html
quote:
Dublin-based PolyStor Corp., started in 1993 by a former lab employee, licensed lab technology originally intended for the Reagan-era Strategic Defense Initiative, the missile defense program better known as Star Wars. PolyStor spinoff company PowerStor put the technology into its carbon aerogel supercapacitors, which are used in wireless phones and other devices to extend battery life and allow for use of smaller batteries.
and here, too:
http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/oto-hns/research.html
quote:
The original ChromaVision software algorithms were a spinoff of Star Wars technology, that were used to find warheads in radar images using color space transformations. The current generation of software is a rare-event technology that uses color transformation to identify immunostained cells, such as metastatic cancer cells or HIV-infected cells in patient specimens or to quantitate immunostained cellular targets such as HER2/neu and the estrogen receptor.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
it's also being used by the Canadians in their "Bullwinkle Defense System"

1) What is a Bullwinkle?

2) Why is it necessary to defend them?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'd bet the money already invested has produced some nifty spinof technology."

Technology which is boosting that staggeringly vibrant economy of yours as we speak. And I'm sure the thirty million or so homeless and those living below the poverty threshold are equally happy tax money is being so well spent.

"Who cares if it works or not."

Rednecks. A certain librarian who's lost it and suffers from delusions of grandeur. Politicians with agendas to keep and elections to win. At least one christian who has a nasty habit of screaming NO PROOF!!! while plugging his fingers so far into his ears he's completely impervious to evidence to the contrary that's shouted right back at him. Scientists hoping they won't be discredited for falsifying data. Industries tasked with producing BMD components.

Oh, and possibly tax payers too.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a Bullwinkle?

A particularly large moose from Minnesota.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were right, Tom.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A certain librarian who's lost it and suffers from delusions of grandeur.
http://www.deepinthestacks.com/
Omega
Member # 91

*spits Earl Grey tea all over keyboard*

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps