Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Was Tolkien Anti -Semitic?

Author Topic: Was Tolkien Anti -Semitic?
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Since racism is a worldwide problem that no nation on earth has not been affected by, I figure we should look at things from a different perspective. Answer the question in your own way.
IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Definitely not a question that comes up very often I see.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, though.. what are you talking about?

There is no racism in Tolkiens work. The only races are *actually* different races.

And the only black people in the books are from the southern nations, and under Sauron's rule. When Sam sees a dead Southron lying in front of him, this is what follows:

quote:
It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. [...] He wondered what the man's name was and where he had came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home.
No "black people are evil". No racism. I don't understand what you're trying to say...

--------------------

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

I haven't made any claims just asking a question. You'll figure it out in time.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about you just cut the bullshit, hmm?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Did a bit of Googling around.

It seems like certain people think Tolkien was anti-Semitic because his Dwarvish language has a similar structure to Hebrew.

I don't know why a fictional language invented by a great writer for a typical European mythical creature is anti-Semitic. Whoever came up with that clearly had a bit too much time on his hands.

Theory dismissed. Go home now, Mountain Troll.

--------------------

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Never my theory. not a bad answer,though incomplete. There are other reasons that have been given. would you like to look them up as well?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, would not. Please, stop acting like some sort of mystical guru. Don't ask some sort of vague question and expect everyone to care simply because you ask it. Say what you mean to say.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Not enough input yet. No data no solution.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found something interesting.

quote:
After Hitler came to power, but prior to World War II, the German government officially requested, through Tolkien's publisher, that he establish his racial purity so they could authorize a translation of "The Hobbit".

The Oxford don, struggling financially to support his family, could have used the income from Third Reich sales. Instead, though Tolkien is a Germanic name, he took the opportunity to remind the Nazis of the ludicrous pretension of racial purity.

"Thank you for your letter.... I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend," he wrote. "I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are inquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people...."

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Very good spike. Not the one I expected. thanks. There are more references and I believe you'll all gain something from them.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are there so many questios from this guy? Some of which don't make sense?!!
Mountain Man keeps saying things like "all will be revelaed" and "just wait, you'll see."

What is his goal? His ulterior motive? A pan-Mountain Man forum, encompassing the entire Internet? A book made up of quotes from us, the average forum member?

What is it? [Confused]

--------------------
Meh

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Paranoia strikes deep. This thread has already shown good results.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Here's a question. I already know the answer I want, but I want the rest of you to go out and find it for no particular reason."

If you've got a point to make, make it. Otherwise, fuck off.

Thread closed on account of it's stupid.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps