Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Things Hitting The Fan? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Things Hitting The Fan?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
CIA seeks probe of White House

The CIA has asked the Justice Department to investigate allegations that the White House broke federal laws by revealing the identity of one of its undercover employees in retaliation against the woman's husband, a former ambassador who publicly criticized President Bush's since-discredited claim that Iraq had sought weapons-grade uranium from Africa, NBC News has learned.

MSNBC.com's Alex Johnson with NBC's Andrea Mitchell, MSNBC

And here I thought the adults were in charge over there.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that will teach you to think now won't it...

I should stop listening to CDs and play a news station once in a while, or find time to read a paper....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bush Administration Is Focus of Inquiry
CIA Agent's Identity Was Leaked to Media

-----

The intentional disclosure of a covert operative's identity is a violation of federal law.

The officer's name was disclosed on July 14 in a syndicated column by Robert D. Novak, who said his sources were two senior administration officials.

Sources familiar with the conversations said the leakers were seeking to undercut Wilson's credibility. They alleged that Wilson, who was not a CIA employee, was selected for the Niger mission partly because his wife had recommended him. Wilson said in an interview yesterday that a reporter had told him that the leaker said, "The real issue is Wilson and his wife."

A source said reporters quoted a leaker as describing Wilson's wife as "fair game."

The official would not name the leakers for the record and would not name the journalists. The official said there was no indication that Bush knew about the calls.

It is rare for one Bush administration official to turn on another. Asked about the motive for describing the leaks, the senior official said the leaks were "wrong and a huge miscalculation, because they were irrelevant and did nothing to diminish Wilson's credibility."

Wilson, while refusing to confirm his wife's occupation, has suggested publicly that he believes Bush's senior adviser, Karl C. Rove, broke her cover. Wilson said Aug. 21 at a public forum in suburban Seattle that it is of keen interest to him "to see whether or not we can get Karl Rove frog-marched out of the White House in handcuffs."

Mike Allen and Dana Priest, The Washington Post

Yet another example of honor and integrity being brought back to a White House near you.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I think somebody really needs to go to jail over this, remember that this administration employs John Poindexter.
Don't get your hopes up for any real action coming from this.

You'll note the lack of media (TV)coverage.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liberal media? Or not as liberal as Fo2 claims?

Fo2 will probably claim that it is a hyped piece of hokey.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother, a life-long Democrat, recieves notices from the party. In one of the notices, sent this last summer, the DNC mentioned this incident.

(Contrary to what you may be thinking, I am not a Democrat. I am an independent with no ties to any party.)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Fellow Fence Sitter....

So, is Novak is trouble for this, since he actually wrote the name in his article?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it really a secret?

quote:
On July 14, Robert Novak wrote a column in the Post and other newspapers naming Mr. Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, as a CIA operative.

That wasn't news to me. I had been told that � but not by anyone working in the White House. Rather, I learned it from someone who formerly worked in the government and he mentioned it in an offhand manner, leading me to infer it was something that insiders were well aware of.

I chose not to include it (I wrote a second NRO piece on this issue on July 18) because it didn't seem particularly relevant to the question of whether or not Mr. Wilson should be regarded as a disinterested professional who had done a thorough investigation into Saddam's alleged attempts to purchase uranium in Africa.

quote:
What did appear relevant could easily be found in what the CIA would call "open sources." For example, Mr. Wilson had long been a bitter critic of the current administration, writing in such left-wing publications as The Nation that under President Bush, "America has entered one of it periods of historical madness" and had "imperial ambitions."

What's more, he was affiliated with the pro-Saudi Middle East Institute and he had recently been the keynote speaker for the Education for Peace in Iraq Center, a far-Left group that opposed not only the U.S. military intervention in Iraq but also the sanctions and the no-fly zones that protected Iraqi Kurds and Shias from being slaughtered by Saddam.

Mr. Wilson is now saying (on C-SPAN this morning, for example) that he opposed military action in Iraq because he didn't believe Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and he foresaw the possibility of a difficult occupation. In fact, prior to the U.S. invasion, Mr. Wilson told ABC's Dave Marash that if American troops were sent into Iraq, Saddam might "use a biological weapon in a battle that we might have. For example, if we're taking Baghdad or we're trying to take, in ground-to-ground, hand-to-hand combat."

Equally, important and also overlooked: Mr. Wilson had no apparent background or skill as an investigator. As Mr. Wilson himself acknowledged, his so-called investigation was nothing more than "eight days drinking sweet mint tea and meeting with dozens of people" at the U.S. embassy in Niger. Based on those conversations, he concluded that "it was highly doubtful that any [sale of uranium from Niger to Iraq] had ever taken place."

Hubby called attention to himself?

quote:
Why would the CIA choose Wilson as the administration's fact-finder on the Niger uranium issue knowing that his wife's activities might become exposed? Well, in the same Robert Novak column that reveals the identity of Wilson's wife, Novak reports that it was Plame herself who recommended her husband for the job!

Shouldn't it have occurred to someone in CIA management that sending the husband of an agency operative on a highly sensitive, high-profile mission could jeopardize that operative's activities?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Wilson's an ass.
Still does'nt give anyone the right to potentially endanger his wife by publically stating she's a spook for the Company.

Wilson's political opinions are a matter of public record whereas his wife's (possibly dangerous) job is NOT.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Shouldn't it have occurred to someone in CIA management that sending the husband of an agency operative on a highly sensitive, high-profile mission could jeopardize that operative's activities?
Yes, they should never have allowed her to so blatantly jeopardise her cover by marrying a diplomat in the first place. Why, as the wife of an ambassador she might have to do such absurd things as travel widely abroad, and what on earth kind of benefit could that be to a CIA agent?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
quote:
Yes, they should never have allowed her to so blatantly jeopardise her cover by marrying a diplomat in the first place. Why, as the wife of an ambassador she might have to do such absurd things as travel widely abroad, and what on earth kind of benefit could that be to a CIA agent?
Does a lot of damn good if she doesn't go with him, doesn't it?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Wilson's political opinions are a matter of public record whereas his wife's (possibly dangerous) job is NOT.

Apparently, that first reporter doesn't agree.
Either that, or it's an incredibly badly-kept secret.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

What's really interesting is that this is the only source of the "Iraq didn't try to get uranium from Africa" POV that's getting his credibility trashed here.

I mean, yeah, sitting around drinking tea. That's being investigative. If you're investigating life in the antebellum South, maybe.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

You know what Robby-pooh, neither of those articles are worth very much when it comes to the allegations that someone at the White House confirmed that Mr. Wilson's wife was an agent with the CIA.

In the first National Review article, Mr. Day seems to alledge that he "knew" that Valerie Plame, Mr. Wilson's wife, was a CIA agent because he heard it "from someone who formerly worked in the government" who mentioned it to him in "offhand manner."

Well, there's proof for you. Take it to the bank, put-the-cat-out-and-lock-the-door proof.

And, and, I might add, I guess that since Mr. Day was somehow told something off the record that we're supposed to assume that not only does everyone now know about it but that it is now ok for someone at the White House to allegedly confirm it??

Then there's this:

quote:
...leading me to infer it was something that insiders were well aware of.
Well, well, insiders knowing the names of CIA agents. Pardon me but isn't that the very sort of information that insiders are supposed to know? Isn't that the sort of thing that makes an insider different from an outsider?

Then, for some reason of importance which can only be found in some parallel dimension the article breaks away from the actual question at hand, someone at the White House allegedly breaking the law, to trash Mr. Wilson.

This trashing, I guess, I suppose, is I guess supposed to make the alledged leaking of the name by the White House legal because they, what, they just didn't like him??

If you'll pardon a bit of an outburst, the article is just dumb.

The second article, rather opinion piece, by Mr. Levin is even goofier.

quote:
Wilson created the very circumstance he now complains about. He voluntarily drew attention to himself and, by extension, his family. He interjected himself into an intense international policy dispute regarding the war with Iraq.
According the Mr. Levin, Mr. Wilson brought this allegeded breaking of the law by the White House on himself because he spoke out??

Talk about blaming the victim.

This is akin to a citizen saying "No, no, you honor, I asked where the nearest 7-Eleven was, Mr. Gang Member didn�t like my tone, so he shot me. I caused him to break the law."

quote:
While I'm all in favor of investigating national-security-related leaks, we'll never know if foreign-intelligence agencies, among others, had already learned of Plame's position thanks to the attention her husband drew to himself by taking the Niger fact-finding assignment in the first place.
Here's the un-written part; they sure know now, it appears that someone at the White House told them.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Robert Novak has made it a non-story by saying that no one at the White House "leaked" Joe Wilson's wife's name to him.

quote:
"Nobody in the Bush administration called me to leak this. In July I was interviewing a senior administration official on Ambassador Wilson's report when he told me the trip was inspired by his wife, a CIA employee working on weapons of mass destruction.

"Another senior official told me the same thing. As a professional journalist with 46 years experience in Washington I do not reveal confidential sources. When I called the CIA in July to confirm Mrs. Wilson's involvement in the mission for her husband -- he is a former Clinton administration official -- they asked me not to use her name, but never indicated it would endanger her or anybody else.

"According to a confidential source at the CIA, Mrs. Wilson was an analyst, not a spy, not a covert operator, and not in charge of undercover operatives."

She is not a CIA agent, covert operative or spy. She's an analyst. I know an analyst, too. He's never said anything about his name being a secret.

Wilson has said that his wife was "outed" by the release of her maiden name, implying that she used that name as a cover to deceive the bad guys. The truth? Wilson's wife's maiden name is not only in the public domain, but he names her as his spouse by that name in his own bio at the Middle East Institute.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps