Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Weapons of Mass Destruction: Part II (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Weapons of Mass Destruction: Part II
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, you hit reverse pretty quick then.

Operation Iraqi freedom is what it was renamed. Not why they claimed the invasion needed to occur.

Selective memory is a wonderful tool.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched an interview with Dr. Kay where he said they had found several tools used to research and created WMD as well as several items hidden from those UN Weapons Inspectors that Iraq was not allowed to have but they found no WMD that was actualy made.

He also said he's asking for a lot more operatives to help look for WMD.
It's a biiig country in terms of hiding places.

Kay also said the only time the president had spoke with him about finding WMD was a call saying he had the president's full suport to take his time and do a through job and that he was under no white house pressure to produce results.

I was pretty suprised how truly smart and unrehearsed his answers were and impressed with the man overall.

He did say he expects the search to take somewhere like nine more months to throughly search everything- that's with additional personnell.

Then a Democrat and a Republican were interviewed and both of them seemed to think Kay's comments supported their own viewpoints about Iraq, the war and possibly the meaning of life itself.
Typical.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3160602.stm

quote:
There has been mixed reaction to a US-led interim report into the search for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq that says none have yet been found.
Hans Blix - the man who headed the United Nations weapons inspection team in Iraq before the war - says CIA official David Kay's report contained "no surprises".

But the vice-president of the Senate Intelligence Committee - Jay Rockefeller, a Democrat - said America's armed forces had been put at risk, based on a threat that appeared not to have existed.

quote:
Mr Kay, who heads the Iraq Survey Group (ISG) said it was too early to reach definitive conclusions and much work remains to be done.

But Mr Blix told the BBC that America still had not come up with any evidence that Iraq had posed a great enough threat to justify war.

"I don't think there are any surprises. The most important point is that they confirm that they have not found any stocks of weapons of mass destruction of any kind," he said

quote:
But the Republican chairman of the House of Representatives intelligence committee, Porter Goss, said the decision to go to war had been made because of the bad things Saddam Hussein had been doing.
quote:
Mr Kay it was too early to say whether WMDs "do not exist or that they existed before the war".

Much evidence about Iraq's banned weapons programmes which once existed had been "irretrievably lost", he said.

The ISG, however, found significant evidence of continuing Iraqi weapons research and development.

Teams found clandestine laboratories and found live botulinum toxin - which could be used to make biological weapons - at an Iraqi scientist's home, the report said.

quote:
Plans were discovered for missiles capable of flying up to 1,000 kilometres (625 miles) - well beyond the 150 km range limit (93 miles) set by the United Nations, it added.

There were also alleged contacts with North Korea to obtain missile technology.

Mr Kay said additional information was beginning to corroborate reports of human testing activities using chemical and biological substances.

So, as usual it's ambiguous; there's enough stuff in the report to provide ammunition for both sides. It should be noted,however, that even if conclusive evidence of WMD programs is found, it would be a long way from WMD being ready in 45 minutes.

Basically, removing Saddam was the right thing to do in that it removed a brutal dictator, etc. BUT that does not mean that either the US or UK govts should have lied/exaggerated Saddam's capacities. In the UK, we had the dodgy dossier; in the US the insinuations made by politicians that Iraq was somehow involved in September 11th (Since refuted by Dubya) and that Iraq could somehow strike at America were equally bad.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all intent, intent, intent, isn't it? Hell, *I* have plans telling how to build a nuclear weapon. Doesn't mean I could or would actually do so. Omega has expressed a desire to shoot me, doesn't mean he's gonna, and it's not enough to make me want to invade Tennessee (although I'd do it just to annoy Mountain Twat).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WEll, if they determine some of those bodies in the mass graves were killed by testing of bio-agents, it's all in the bag.

Hate to say it aloud but.....
In this case, the ends justified the means.

It's not like anybosy else was going to remove this sick fuck from power.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In this case, the ends justified the means."

No.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, so the reason the US isn't interfering in all the other countries where people are being murdered en masse on a regular basis is beacause those countries are doing it by boring, unsexed-up regular methods like shooting, stabbing, beating, etc?

And I'm quite sure the Iraqis felt gassing their own civilians justified their own ends. But of course they're darkies and we're not, our ends are more important than theirs.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Teams found clandestine laboratories
So Iraq was invaded because they have meth-labs?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's all intent, intent, intent, isn't it?
Yep, a distinct change of tune from the pre-war statements made by our Dear Leader and Bush.

quote:
But of course they're darkies and we're not, our ends are more important than theirs.

Not to mention that American lives are worth more than those of foreigners.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question--why was Bush saying, when the inspectors were in Iraq, "How much time do they need?" But when Kay comes back, he's saying "Give him more time. Be patient."

Isn't that what we call hypocrisy?!!

--------------------
Meh

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Onlt if Kay requests more time than the UN had, asking for equal time isn't so, how much time did the UN have anyway, years???

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In this case, the ends justified the means."

No.

Why not?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Of course the ends justified the means!
We're not happy that we were spoon fed a bunch of crap about Iraq's military capabilities but we still went there, toppled a bruatal dictatorship and will be the cause of Iraqui's having a improved quality of life (if we play nice with the UN)and thousands of people were spared being victims of Saddam's state sponsored executioners.
How many landfills full of corpses did our invasion prevent?
Plenty.

We went in for the wrong reasons but our presence is (for the most part) a good thing.

If we don't blow it, that is....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How many landfills full of corpses did our invasion prevent?

At last count I saw about 10,000 Iraqis died while being liberated, tell their families an illegal war was justified.
And by most accounts they aren't better off yet.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if you stack them right it only looks like 5,000...

Well, they don't have to worry about Saddam & son(s) taking them away for no reason, or kids being put in to prison, if not born there, for the supposed sins of their mother and father...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps